SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

to do with "Sony Vaio -- 2 hard drives"

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Roger The Cabin Boy
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've also heard it helps to speed things up if you keep your paging files on a separate partition, or even better, a separate drive if you have two. Don't ask me why. Confused
click this instead. Wink

Last edited by Roger The Cabin Boy on Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:16 am; edited 2 times in total
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cabin Boy -- nice necro of this thread.

I'm splitting off to continue the conversation (if necessary). Wink

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
Roger The Cabin Boy
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Erm.. what's a necro? does it mean my post wasn't relevant to the topic? cos from what I could tell, people were discussing the advantages/ disadvantages of having several hard drives, or several partitions on one machine.

And that's exactly what my post was about.

JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You have read our FAQ right?

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
Roger The Cabin Boy
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, what did I do wrong?

JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you read it then you would know. Use "Ctrl+F" and type in "necro".

Listen, it's not an egregious offense. It happens quite often. Most people shrug and move along.

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
Roger The Cabin Boy
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh big deal, sorry for answering an old thread, with some decent information. Oh, and I really object to your tone. You're Implying I can't read? I'm stupid? or I'm a liar?

You could of politely informed me of my mistake! No wonder new members don't hang around for long if that's what they get for trying to be helpful!

Bye

luckey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't think JMR meant any offense. It's just one of our ways of keeping things tidy. You can answer any thread you like, it's just that if a thread has gone stale, we prefer that you link to the old one instead of bumping it back to the top.

It's not a big deal. JMR is an extremely important and busy baiter. He doesn't always have time to make nice nice. Wink

Roger The Cabin Boy
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I understand and take your point luckey, there are a lot of busy people in the world, but I think It could of been pointed out politely just as quickly without the "oh well, if you had even bothered to read the FAQ." (which you are obviously lying about) attitude. I didn't come here to be talked down too.

But thanks for smoothing it over Wink

JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Let's not be passive-aggressive now Cabin Boy. You didn't know what a "necro" was despite being a member here for nearly 9 months. I find that hard to believe, but if that's the case, I pointed you to a nice, well-written FAQ which would give you your answer (since you couldn't be bothered to search for the term yourself).

Having your post split off is not a black mark against you. We do it all the time. It's one of our many many quirks. I also have a thing about the word "moist" (but, strangely, I don't mind split infinitives). I apologize for being brusque with you and hope we can put this behind us as we move forward towards a new future -- together. Yes we can!

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
luckey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for carving out time to set things straight JMR.

See what I mean RTCB? He's really a big sweetheart. Very Happy

Roger The Cabin Boy
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

au contraire, I googled the term before asking, and it is (as I had thought) a Greek prefix, meaning dead. The search function on here generally turns up loads of mostly unrelated stuff, and frankly life's too short.

Anyway, apology accepted, don't let it happen again Laughing

Now can someone put my teddy back in my pram please.. I can't reach it Embarassed

Newdonym
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rolling Eyes Come on guys, at least try to keep it on topic.

My old comp had its paging file and boot sector on a high speed HDD. It loaded up pretty speedily.

I'm thinking of doing the smae with an SSD when they become a bit more viable.
Roger The Cabin Boy
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm using a laptop with just the one hard drive, so don't have the luxury of such things. I guess in these days of increasingly RAM hungry software, it pays to squeeze every ounce out of your your Vmem and if you can give it it's own drive then that has to help.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an expert on this, but most of the info I've found on the net seems to say that the best thing to do is to split the boot and paging files onto separate drives if possible.

Last edited by Roger The Cabin Boy on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

SSD is not an option yet, the I/O is lower than on a speedy HDD, it would only slow down your system.

As for a one drive system it's important to make sure your pagefile isn't fragmented too much. What I usually do is park the VMEM on a secundary partition (or remove it altogether) , reboot, then defragment c:\ , set the VMEM back to the c:\ drive (fixed size of 2 times the RAM available) and reboot again. That way windoze recreates the pagefile on an empty, defragmented block, which will boost performance a bit.

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Yes we can! (with a bit of help)
Roger The Cabin Boy
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have my paging files tucked away on their own little partition. Do I still need to defrag that partition? It all shows as green unmovable or white empty , and I presumed it got overwritten all the time.

Last edited by Roger The Cabin Boy on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Its because of the RAM hungry software that you want to max your memory and not have to deal with VM. Having to use VM kills hard drives, especially small laptop drives. If it means taking smaller memory modules out to make room for larger, so be it. Talking about defraging- our MIS suggests that all info be backed up prior to defragging laptop drives and never defragging those portable laptop drives.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Huh? No defragging on laptop drives? No use of virtual memory? Of course you do. Haven't had a problem with that in the 10 years I use notebooks, or even longer on any PC I owned and still own .. The necessity with NTFS is not as much as it was with FAT16/ FAT32, but still useful.

And yes: RAM is the key .. put as much in there as possible, those modules are really cheap these days, but paging is absolutely necessary. My notebook is defragging now, taking 100% of the physical 3 GB, and 1.5 GB of page memory .. you simply cannot do without Vmem.

Backups is always a good idea though, but that should be a standard routine, daily or weekly, depending on the value of the stored data.

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Yes we can! (with a bit of help)
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Our MIS suggest never defragging those portable USB drives, those laptop hard drives in a black plastic case. For portable USB hard drives, I buy the full size ones with built in cooling fans having learned a costly lesson. I would also consider going easy on the hard disk drive in luggable computers. I've lost two hard disks in laptops. The first took a few years, the second took 6 hours. I was upgrading a new computer to XP Pro from Media Edition and ran into some windoze problems, backed out of the install, scraped it clean, scanned it, and reinstalled back to the factory image. I got could not get a clean boot, so swept it again, surface scanned it, rinse and repeat. After 6 hours the hard drive had a squealing bearing. Our MIS has locked out defrag on the company computers. I asked why and they said it was because there were some retentive people that would run it everyday and kill the drive. I have a company issued tablet computer with a microdrive that I will never defrag.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
Roger The Cabin Boy
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Along a similar vein, I've just been reading up about ReadyBoost. In a nutshell, it seems you can move your Vram onto a flash drive and get most of the same benefits as using a separate HDD. Now that seems like a practical alternative for the laptop wallah. Smile

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic