SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Lotto scam 'fuels Jamaica crime'

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
TheBarSteward2
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hopefully not posted already....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7666738.stm

By Nick Davis
BBC News, Kingston

More than 1,200 people have been killed in gang violence this year alone
Police in Jamaica say a lotto scam targeting US citizens is contributing to gang violence in the country.

Detectives say criminals are buying expensive high-powered weapons with the money sent by people who believe they have won a sweepstake on the island.

Despite attempts by detectives to break the scam for the past few years, it still remains active.

The operation is centred around Montego Bay, the country's second city on the north coast.

It is similar to schemes that operate in other parts of the world.

The con-artists illicitly get hold of personal information on potential victims such as their names, addresses and telephone numbers.

They then persuade them that they have won a lottery and need to send a fee to process their winnings.

Police here say they particularly go after retirees from the US, and in the past they have had reports of people's entire life savings being taken.

Officers say scammers are making thousands of dollars a week from wire transfers to the island, and that cash is now being used to buy expensive high-calibre weapons that are helping to fuel the violence that has seen more than 1,200 people killed since the start of the year.

Assistant Commissioner Les Green from the Jamaica Constabulary Force says the scam is linked to other crimes.

"We know guns are being bought, but there are also robberies and killings as a result of the amount of money that is in these communities," he said.

"The lotto scammers won't go themselves to collect the money. They ask other people, and sometimes that doesn't come back so they order a robbery or hit, and it increases the amount of crime as there are millions of US dollars involved in this flooding in every day."

Police are targeting people involved in the lotto scam and are seizing their assets.

However, for many people it is a long process to recover what they have lost.

Detectives say they recently had to drop a case after an American grandmother killed herself after losing nearly a quarter of a million dollars. Shocked Shocked
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It is ironic that we see rare action being taken aginst scammers because they are spending their loot on the wrong thing - weapons.

If they spent it on flash cars, bling and hookers would we see any great rush to stop them?

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
TheBarSteward2
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I wonder if a mod should contact 'Assistant Commissioner Les Green' and see if there is anything we can do to help? I haven't been on here in a while (use to post as TheBarSteward a couple of years ago) but I remember there was a LE officer in SA who used to help out - perhaps the cops in Jamaica might be a bit pro-active if we give them some leads?
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I got the impression from the BBC report that these scammers use letters and phone calls rather than email

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Your are probably right, Mr. Tambourine Man. I can't recall very many scam emails from Jamaica.

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My Mum (in the UK), who is in her mid eighties, gets lots of phone calls from scammers though she is not likely to be fooled.

She passed one on to me when I was visiting and it was using a recorded message and an automated switchboard. I presume that it was all an automated process and you only get passed on to a live person when you show you are interested by pressing the numbers offered.

I'd like to get one of these insects trapped under a glass. Twisted Evil

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic