SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Mobile (Cell) Phone Drop Call Scam

View next topic
View previous topic

jayjayuf
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Guys,

This is probably more a UK based phenomenon. Also I apologise if there are other similar topics to this tread. I simply don’t have time to read through them all.

I am receiving an increasing number of drop calls on my mobile (cell) (1 or 2 rings and drop) leaving me a missed call. Which is very tempting to call back. Especially if you didn’t hear that it only rang twice. You may very well believe that it is a legitimate missed call.

On returning the call, the format can vary here, inevitably, you will be calling a premium rate number.

As I conduct a lot business on my mobile (cell), I often get calls from unknown numbers, (business referrals, colleagues etc.) which I have to answer or return the call if missed.

Normally the numbers of these delinquent missed calls are quite dubious forwarding numbers: 070 etc. (As most scam clues are, this is only obvious if you are aware of them)

Although I think some UK operators are providing mobile numbers which are looking more and more like these forwarding numbers. (though that is irrelevant at this stage)

Anyway, having a good level of knowledge with most online (thanks Shiver Metimbers) and offline scams, I tend to either call back from the company landline (number withheld)- most times these numbers seem to be set up only to accept calls from mobiles as I assume it is easier to charge the users bill through the operator.

Or I send a text asking the caller to call me back at a more convenient time or identify themselves and I will return their call. This is a solid method of deciphering the scams from the legitimate callers.

The text option is the safest as I am sure they will start accepting calls from landlines to the premium rate scam lines. Although one point to bear in mind is that the advanced scammer may be using this technique to check which numbers are live for future scams etc.

So, apart from climbing under a rock and hiding from the world (or at least unknown numbers) we have to get on with our lives.

Unfortunately, closing these scammers premium rate numbers down will prove difficult as they sound quite legitimate (the only one I accidently called was a tarot reading hotline) and drop calls can be considered a marketing

Well, I thought I would start a thread on this and see if anyone can cast any further light or knowledge.

Also if I have missed similar threads please feel free to send me the links and I will avidly learn more about these scamming cowboys>

All the best!

'Are all businessmen wannabe gangsters in suits?'
JayJayUF
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I simply don’t have time to read through them all.
Search = your friend. Wink
Number recognition and voice mail should take care of it, I simply never call back if I don't recognize the number, if it's a blocked call, I won't answer as I don't talk to people whose name I can't have. It's education of your customers that you need I guess.
800 numbers are neglected too, took them awhile, but the phone is finally quiet during most of the day.
That's a land line, we don't have reception for cell phones here.

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Completely agree Bill,

although not everyone is as lucky to be as savvy as you. Which is why I though about posting. Wink

No offense intended here Bill, I read your responses and they are alway very informative and considered.

When I tried searching I kept coming across reams of online phone retail scams.

Thanks for your feedback, but I hope it helps other users who may not have come across it.

Good luck all.

'Are all businessmen wannabe gangsters in suits?'
JayJayUF

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic