SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Gumtree property scammers.

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
squiggle
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm looking to find a flat within like a week (eek), and so I posted an ad on gumtree.

I got one reply so far and I have alarm bells going off...

After asking more about the property, I got this email:

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for the mail, i have an en-suit flat,the whole flat is very bright and clean,I am renting it out because i do have another property in Liverpool and that's where i live, it's a 1 bedroom flat,1 bathrooms(one en-suit), and a big living room. we have SKY ( all channels included movie and sports channels) in both your bedroom and the living room, wireless unlimited download internet. all the furniture in the flat is from
You can call me on my number to talk better 703196****,
Address
<random address specified near the location I'm looking for>

in the living room there is a TV with SKY as well, big sofas for your lazy time. ( also can be a guest bed lol!) our kitchen has everything you need such as washing machine/dryer, dishwasher, microwave and fridge/freezer. even all the tableware and cookware.there is also one storage room in the flat too.this apartment is very secured, the rent is be 600GBP per Calender Month and 700GBP for the security deposit that will be refund back to you back when you the contract is finish.all bills included!, so the security deposit + 1 month rent payable during the date you move in.email me if you are interested and tell me something about yourself such as nationality and occupation.

Thanks
Jason.

The pictures attached seemed WAY too good to be at that price. I've been looking at rental properties for a while, and properties are pretty basic at the price I'm looking for. They're also all of different sizes and definitely don't look like they've been taken with the same camera.

Obviously I'd never move in anywhere without viewing it, but I reckon this bloke's gonna say he's not able to give me a viewing and then ask for my deposit?

Have I just become cynical since joining Eater or is this bloke out to take me for a ride?

Shall I ask him for a viewing in order to test my theory?

EDIT - how can I get headers on gmail?
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey, when it smells like it .....
A viewing, he will fight it and if he allows I wouldn't go. He has RL info on you, so asking about the viewing is as far as I would go.
Gmail headers- open message and click little arrow right from [Reply] scroll down to ??? Show Original (I think) and there it will open in a new window.
Have fun

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ahh I googled gmail headers and used the FAQ on this board to analyse it.

The IP points to the Netherlands.
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

See this post on Gumtree:

http://forums.gumtree.com/post-2709479.html

The phone number they use, +447031961824, is a personal number from Magrathea Telecommunications, which are commonly used UK numbers, used by lads to redirect to their cell phones in whatever country they are in, whilst at the same time, giving the impression that they are in the UK:

Quote:
+447031961824
Number billable as: personal number
Country or destination: United Kingdom
Original network provider*: Magrathea Telecommunications Limited

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
squiggle
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just what I needed, thanks! That's exactly the member they're warning about. Same email and everything.

Sorted. : )

Might bait him from another address now! Very Happy

Gotta thank Eater for making me more aware and able to pick out these people. : )
hash_condisions
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've had a lot of experience with the Gumtree set of scammers and can 100% say this one is a scammer. In actual fact I remember receiving a very very similar script (and from a Jason too, iirc). If you email back he will then talk about how he has been let down by people coming to view before and not showing - then he will ask for some money from you to show how serious you are Rolling Eyes

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

they're out of town and you need to western union money - not to them this time but to your friend or wife etc. then you give them the transfer number (and they use this to withdraw the money you thought was safely sent to your brother) and so on.

by the way, the header info showing netherlands is gumtree's legitimate IP info.

well i don,t do things like that i am a rich man,and a happy family man,i belong to the big and rich peoples club,i am not interested in things like that

Please sir do not foot drag or have doubt to help us i beg you with the name of God.Do this for us if not for anything but for humanity sake.
hash_condisions
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for the mail, i have an en-suit flat,the whole flat is very bright and clean,I am renting it out because i do have another property in Liverpool and that's where i live, it's a 2 bedroom flat,2 bathrooms(one en-suit), and a big living room. we have SKY ( all channels included movie and sports channels) in both your bedroom and the living room, wireless unlimited download internet. all the furniture in the flat is from
You can call me on my number to talk better 703xxxxxxx,
Address
Heathcote Rd, xxxxxxx, E4 6KZ

in the living room there is a TV with SKY as well, big sofas for your lazy time. ( also can be a guest bed lol!) Nice to see he has a sense of humour our kitchen has everything you need such as washing machine/dryer, dishwasher, microwave and fridge/freezer. even all the tableware and cookware.there is also one storage room in the flat too.this apartment is very secured, the rent is be 620GBP per Calender Month and 700GBP for the security deposit that will be refund back to you back when you the contract is finish.all bills included!, so the security deposit + 1 month rent payable during the date you move in.email me if you are interested and tell me something about yourself such as nationality and occupation.

Thanks
Jason.

Haha, this guy is prolific - just got the above. Funny thing is he has put his rent price up - life must be hard at the moment Laughing (oh and his email name states he is called 'Janson' perfect opportunity to call him Jan from here on in Smile

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Haha - exact script I received when looking for a house to rent myself. I currently have two of these guys on the go, just starting out - need to find myself a fake WU form from somewhere.....
squiggle
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Haha, this guy seems to have dropped me! Oh no. : (

I'm hoping it's because you guys are keeping him busy! Very Happy

Albert - the Netherlands thing might explain why all these emails seem to come from there! I'll make sure I double check headers that come from their actual email. Thanks for that!
hash_condisions
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually he has been fairly quiet with me too... Fortunately I have one guy already wrapped around my finger, I am having fun with him Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

These guys can be difficult to bait. They are going for a quick score, and they answer hundreds of ads and emails at a clip. Even with real victims, they know they will only get one or two chances at collecting fees before it blows up. For victims who have paid, sometimes they will offer refunds in the form of fake checks. The checks will be for more than the amount originally stolen, and the victim will be asked to send back the difference for one reason or another. If they do that, of course they lose again.

Unless you can hit them with something to get them off script quickly, they will drop you pretty quickly. In my experience anyway.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic