SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Uncle's email account cracked... any suggestions?

View next topic
View previous topic

Edge83
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello All,

I ran into this forum a few years ago, and then was reminded of it the other week when I listened to the story on This American Life [hate on me all you want].

Coincidentally, my uncle's email account was cracked by some 419er and sent this email out to most of his family and friends (bear in mind my real uncle doesn't type this illiterately):

----
Hello,

How are you doing?hope all is well with you and family,i am sorry that i didn't inform you about my traveling to England for a programme called Empowering youth to fight racism,Hiv/Aids,and lack of education.

I need a favour from you as soon as you recieve this e-mail because i misplaced my wallet on my way to the hotel where my money,and other valuable things were kept i will like you to assist me with a soft loan urgently with the sum of $3000 USD to sort-out my hotel bills and get myself back home.

I will appreciate whatever you can afford and i'll pay you back as soon as i return,Kindly let me know if you can be of help? so that i can send you the Details to use when sending the money through western union.

----

I'm not planning on trying to bait this guy myself (as a noob), but I thought I would offer some help to you all if you wanted me to try to get another email address/phone number or whatever to get back at this guy for being a dousche. wasting his time is the name of the game.

thanks, hit me back or PM.

Edge

Last edited by Edge83 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yastreb
Demented Opportunist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Edge, your uncle wasn't scambaited... but someone tried to scam everyone in his address book.

By all means put this Lad up for some executive action... I'm sure there'll be plenty of volunteers.

"I aim to misbehave."

Asena - Pretty Rose
United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain New Zealand Senegal Ghana Ghana Benin United Kingdom
Mortar x14 Closed lad accounts x 174
Safari x 4 - Oyenka Chidinma - Lagos to Cotonou; Dickyboi - Lagos to Accra; Femmy - Lagos to Porto Novo; "Woody" - Accra to Singapore
Sand Timer x 7: Dufus & Abavana/Capt Joseph Annan/Victor Walla/Ohene Agyekum/James Jeffrey/Peace Akpobor & John Mensah/Tony Kalaby & Addo Gilbert
Edge83
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I realize that after I had posted it -- he hadn't been scammed, rather cracked and then tried to scam me. But for the sake of getting people to read the post a little false advertising never hurt...kidding.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what I should write back, I would appreciate it. I'll reply what he writes and hand this off to whoever wants to continue it.

The only thing is that we probably have to hurry. My uncle has already contacted hotmail and the address is likely to be shut down soon, if it hasn't already been done.

Edge

Last edited by Edge83 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edge83
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

went ahead and wrote:

----
Roger,

So sorry to hear about that! I had no idea that you were in the UK, but then again we hadn't talked in a while!!!

I'm sure that I can get some help for you one way or another. In the meantime, do you have a phone number, address, the hotel name, or even another email address that I can contact you at? while we figure this out, I might need to get a hold of you. I'm sure with the time difference email is easiest.

The programme (love the british spelling!) sounds amazing! How long had you been there.

I know it's been a while since we talked last, but I really know how it feels to be without cash in a foreign country. Let me know how I can help!
----
SlapHappy
Body Eater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Edge83 - Welcome to eater. Please post the lad's email, complete with full header information, and I'm sure lots of baiters here will jump on his butt and enliven his life. I'm sure your uncle has notified everyone in his address book that the email was a scam, and not to send any money?

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari [email protected] & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & [email protected] - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
Scambo
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Edge welcome to the site. I'm glad to hear that nobody actually got scammed. Very often we only hear about this when it's too late.

Incidentally "the british spelling" is actually the correct one. It's called English Laughing .

in the name of the gods of our mother land Africa l curse you son of slave
hi thank you for the insults you rained on me and my family

Closed lad accounts x7
Edge83
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Everyone in the family has been notified of the scam -- so no worries there.

If I get a new email address from the lad I will post that here (right now he's still in control of my uncle's and I won't post that.)

Incidentally, how do I get all of the header information through gmail (my email service) I looked for the IP address but didn't see a way in google to retrieve that information.

-Ed
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Once the email is open, on the line where the subject of the email is (I believe), there is a box that says "Reply" and has a little down arrow next to it. Click on the down arrow, and then click on "Show Original." This will display (in a new screen) the entire message, including the headers.

Of course, if the address that sent the email is also gmail, the IP will be masked. Smile

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
Donato
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When you get an email open it, on the right of where you click reply is a down arrow-click on it. One of the options is show original-click on that and loads of goofy geeky stuff will appear in a new tab/window-copy and paste the geeky stuff and either post it here and we'll look at it-OR copy and paste it into this http://headertool.apelord.com/ The last (bottom) number is the one you want copy that number into here http://www.ip-adress.com/ipaddresstolocation/ and that will show you a map of where the sender sent the email from.

It won't work on emails sent to you from gmail, fastmail or hushmail as they all strip the IP information~which is why we use them. Very Happy

pony Closed lad accounts - lots

<i><b>Free Pastor Frank!!!</b></i>
Edge83
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We have a winner! Nigeria.

Delivered-To:[email protected]
Received: by 10.100.248.11 with SMTP id v11cs598749anh;
Thu, 2 Oct 2008 12:49:31 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.151.143.14 with SMTP id v14mr337044ybn.93.1222976970745;
Thu, 02 Oct 2008 12:49:30 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from bay0-omc1-s24.bay0.hotmail.com (bay0-omc1-s24.bay0.hotmail.com [65.54.246.96])
by mx.google.com with ESMTP id 1si977883gxk.37.2008.10.02.12.49.20;
Thu, 02 Oct 2008 12:49:29 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 65.54.246.96 as permitted sender) client-ip=65.54.246.96;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 65.54.246.96 as permitted sender) [email protected]
Received: from BAY107-W7 ([64.4.51.107]) by bay0-omc1-s24.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959);
Thu, 2 Oct 2008 12:43:56 -0700
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Return-Path: [email protected]
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="_c7fd2942-5fa9-4e83-a7a8-ce881f012946_"
X-Originating-IP: [196.3.183.72]
manbiteslion
never f*cking learns

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just a terminology thing here, but...
Quote:
he hadn't been scambaited, rather hacked and then tried to scambait me

Your uncle had had his email account broken into/cracked (original true hackers are the good guys - the natural allies of baiters, and it hurts to hear the word hacked synonymised with criminal activity), and the scammer tried to scam you (not scambait you)

Scambaiters are the good guys - scambaiting is the act of counter-scamming, of wasting scammer time, resources and money to reduce the risk of real victims being victims of scammers.

Also I note you implored Hotmail to kill the account, and with it closed there's little that can be done Sad

Glad to hear nobody fell for it Smile
Edge83
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry for the semantic flubs. I feel like Sarah Palin on a date with Katie Couric.

If I get a response, great. It's worth a shot.

thanks for what you all do.

Please try to avoid posting serially. If you want to add something right after you just posted, just do what I did for you below. -- JMR

EDIT TO ADD:

He responded! Apparently Hotmail hasn't shut down the account in more than 24 since it was reported. The problem is (still) that it will be shut down soon and yet he didn't send me any more information. and Given that he's probably in Nigeria, I'm not sure how he would receive his payment given the scant details provided.

At this point I really need someone's help to figure out how to get him on the line. If you want the email address to try to contact him please PM. Again, it's my uncle's real email address so I'll probably only give it to people that are recommended from this community.

Thanks for the help!

-Edge

---

Delivered-To: [email protected]
Received: by 10.100.248.11 with SMTP id v11cs36177anh;
Fri, 3 Oct 2008 02:21:08 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.100.42.17 with SMTP id p17mr931416anp.20.1223025667756;
Fri, 03 Oct 2008 02:21:07 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from bay0-omc1-s32.bay0.hotmail.com (bay0-omc1-s32.bay0.hotmail.com [65.54.246.104])
by mx.google.com with ESMTP id c30si4653824ana.27.2008.10.03.02.21.07;
Fri, 03 Oct 2008 02:21:07 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 65.54.246.104 as permitted sender) client-ip=65.54.246.104;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 65.54.246.104 as permitted sender) [email protected]
Received: from BAY107-W14 ([64.4.51.114]) by bay0-omc1-s32.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959);
Fri, 3 Oct 2008 02:19:57 -0700
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Return-Path: [email protected]
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="_49881ccd-81a7-400d-81a5-6523045890de_"
X-Originating-IP: [206.113.97.3]
To: XXXXX <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Hello
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 04:19:57 -0500
Importance: Normal

Thank you for your concern,am sorry that i did not inform you before i left for Uk.yes is has been a while we talked last,my phone can't work in foreign country.I have been there for a while.you will help me to send the money through western union with this details below and once you have it sent,send me the money transfer control number (mtcn) with details of the transfer.

Here are the details to use:

Name : Roger Carter
Address :121,Kensington High St
Zip code : W8 4PT
State : London
Test Question : Thank
Answer : You

Please help me to send it as soon as you receive this email.

Roger

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic