SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Craigslist property rental scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
arbitrary_larry
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

http://liverpool.craigslist.co.uk/roo/833099557.html

Friend of mine is looking for a room in Liverpool UK and replied to an ad on craigslist. Looks like it's being rented by a Nigerian perhaps!! Before allowing a viewing they want a bank transfer to be done! Luckily my friend isn't stupid! Names changed to protect the innocent - ie: not the scammer!

One thing I am interested to know is how does this scam work - if I transfer some cash to my 'friend/relative' but give some transaction information to the scammer can they indeed get hold of the cash? Seems like there could be some fun to be had in inventing fake payments...?

-----------------------------------------------------
Sent: 27 September 2008 12:05
To: <My Friend>
Subject: waiting to read from you...

Thanks <My Friend>
I quite understood what you are driving at. The plan which was set up by me is very simple and straight forward.I think it would make it easier because i really wish to believe that you are capable and that you really want the room. Why don't you let us get it done the exact way i proposed in my previous mail because i think that is the only way i can get convinced that you are financially capable. you stated in your previous mail that you would get paid on Tuesday, Try and make the transaction on Tuesday as early as you can to any of your relative or friend within UK. I am doing this just to be sure that you really want the room and that you are financially ready to rent. After the transaction, Get back to me with the MTCN # and the amount sent as i have said in my previous mail. Immediately i verify that you have truly sent the fund. I will make arrangement for viewing immediately. Because i am also the busy type and i think that is the only way that can make me know that you really serious about the room.After viewing and you are pleased with the room, Fine, You can go and get you fund withdrawed and make the payment in person to me directly . I think it is pretty simple. That's my way of handling something like this...

Waiting to read from you
Amanda...

--- On Fri, 26/9/08, <My friend> wrote:

Subject: RE: waiting to read from you...
To: [email protected]
Date: Friday, 26 September, 2008, 3:01 PM

Hi,

This sounds a bit odd. I’ve got enough money in my English bank account now to pay deposit (if it is month deposit) and the first month rental. And I will get paid on Tuesday as well. I’m on a regular salary which easily covers £450 a month when it is including all bills. I will also move in as soon as possible, although the 1st of October would be ideal since I get paid the last working day of each month so then the rent would go out straight away when I get paid.

I’ve got other viewings set up tonight and this weekend for house shares just a bit outside Liverpool, but I would very much prefer a flat in the city centre and since your flat is actually a good location for me it would be ideal. If your flat is like the description then I can’t see any reason why I won’t go for your flat.

If you want confirmation from my employer, I’m happy to provide you with our HR Manager’s details.

Thanks,

<My friend>

Sent: 26 September 2008 15:43
To: <My friend>
Subject: waiting to read from you...

Thanks for the mail.
I think you did not get the messages quite well from the call you received. The person who called you is my property manager. He got your contact information from the tenancy form which was forwarded to him by me. I will like to inform you that making arrangement for viewing the apartment is not a problem, But i will want to be very sure if you are capable enough financially and if you re really serious about the room. Because i am tired of wasting my time and energy scheduling appointment regarding viewing of my apartment with people who claimed to be interested and at the end of the day, not showing up at the venue.This might have happened as a result of unseriousness of the person regarding the room or not financially capable to retain the room.So i later decided that, anybody who is interested in my room must show some sign of capability either financially or morally. So i have set up a very simple plan for any inquirer. For me to be so sure that you are financially okay and that you are really serious about the room, You can convince me by making payment of £400 in any of your relatives name or friends that resides within United kingdom, via western union money transfer. After these has been done. Get back to me with the MTCN number which would be given to you so that i can track and know if truly you sent the funds to your friends or relatives. If it is being tracked and confirmed by me, Then we will proceed to the next step which is viewing of the apartment and if later on you found out that you are not okay with the apartment. Then you can go and withdraw your funds since you have all the details with you .

Thanks
Kindly let me know what you think about this..
Yastreb
Common Street Thawth Vergabon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
if I transfer some cash to my 'friend/relative' but give some transaction information to the scammer can they indeed get hold of the cash?

If he has the details of the recipients, and the MTCN, he can pick up the money literally anywhere with the aid of a compliant WU worker - AFAIK, anyway.

May you never se the end of the year, May you sick and die in JESUS NAME AMEN.
MARK MY WORD, YOU SHALL FALL SICK, IF YOU DONT PLEASE WITH ME, YOU SHALL DIE OF THE SICKNESS, THIS IS MY FINAL WORD TO YOU
I HAVE PLACED YOU UNDER MY ORACLE GODS,
YOU SHALL CRY AND BEG FOR FORGIVENESS OR YOU DIE

United Kingdom x5 Spain New Zealand Senegal Ghana x2 Benin Closed lad accounts x 246
Safari x 5 - Oyenka Chidinma Lagos-Cotonou; Dickyboi Lagos-Accra; Femmy Lagos-Porto Novo; "Woody" Accra-Singapore; Henry Philip Abuja-Natitingou w/MG & DSW
Sand Timer x 7
LittleMissAnnoying
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

*Nods* I had lots of these when I posted an ad on Gumtree looking for a house to rent. There I was thinking I could escape some letting agency fees, all I ended up with was an inbox full of these guys.

Decided to go with the letting agent in the end, and am baiting one of these guys as we speak. Smile
squiggle
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

LittleMissAnnoying - I ended up doing the same thing! A few extra bob on the agent saved me the hassle of all these idiots!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic