SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Split from Radio show thread: Ethics of the Chad Bait

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
capricio
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

PF,

Morality is personal and my morality will never really affect you. Laws are different, and technically we are all subject to them, even if we have no fear of breaking them. I just took issue with the absolute blanket statement that "no laws are broken here", and both sides got caught up details.

Only because you asked, and not because I'm judging or condemning anyone... the few times my moral compass become uneasy after reading the sight for a couple years:

Asking lads to hold signs they can't read that get them in immediate danger. "Mohammed is a pedophile", etc. Yeah, they are stupid enough to do it... still, just makes me a little uneasy for some reason.

Sending lads after unrelated/unsuspecting lads. Convincing them to get into a tiger cage for $1000 is one thing. Telling them there's a $1000 bucks on the other side of that door and blindsiding them with a tiger is another. Again, some intangible gut feeling tells me this is pushing the limit a little.

I tend differentiate between convincing lads to do dangerous things, and presenting them with immediate, unsuspecting, imminent danger. Other people don't. I'm not going to hold anyone else to "my standards". Like I said, morality is personal, unique, and ill-defined.

Requisite condescending lad hugger accusation response in 5... 4... 3... 2...
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Why are you still typing?
You should be in jail, waiting to be extradited to Rio right now.

Seriously. It's no different from your argument.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

capricio wrote:
morality is personal, unique, and ill-defined.

That is a great definition, and enough to satisfy me, for the purposes of my line of questioning. If you said that earlier in the thread, I missed it.

Edit: As far as the legal vs. illegal argument, I do not want to involve myself in it. I am very comfortable separating the legal issue from the moral issue. Abortion is a good example.

Last edited by Pastor Frank on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
capricio
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Slightly,

I never condemned baiters or said they should all be in jail. You just want to portray me as being on a high horse, with a double standard. Get off it already.
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Get it straight. If I wanted to portray you as being on a high horse, I'd tell you outright that I think you're a dumb cock-wallet. But no. I'm a nice guy so I'm actually trying to still reason with you.

Now tell me the difference between what your argument is and the scenario with Jojo that I've laid out.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
capricio
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What are you, like 12 years old or something? What am I supposed to say that will make you feel validated now?

Edit: bad word choice. Smile

Last edited by capricio on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ralph Wiggum
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ capricio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhxpohzZHbc

Fake Checks out of circulation - 52K (so far)
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>
"The law of cama is still in exixtence and I know what the consequences of your action will be"-Rimi
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Too late Caprico.

I saw what you wrote and it hurt my feelings. As many here know, I'm really sensitive and emotional. Your words have driven me over the edge and in about 20 minutes I'll have to jump off a bridge.

Your fault and you've broken the law.

See where I'm going with this? It's still no different to your argument. The fact that you didn't mean for Jojo to get raped or for me to kill myself doesn't matter because you've already discounted intent. The fact that I haven't told you which law you've broken or even that you haven't broken it doesn't matter. It's exactly the same argument.

luckey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

caprico wrote:
I just took issue with the absolute blanket statement that "no laws are broken here", and both sides got caught up details.

The only details I'm caught up in are which laws we are breaking? I gave it my best shot, but Eight put me straight.

We used to tolerate cash baiting, but now we discourage that because the consensus here was that it is illegal. If we're still breaking laws, we would prefer not to. So, let's get specific here.

Scambo
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi everyone,

I was under the impression that our goal was to waste the scammers time and not each others. Just an observation .....

in the name of the gods of our mother land Africa l curse you son of slave
hi thank you for the insults you rained on me and my family

Closed lad accounts x7
LadAssassin
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Your comment is quite LOL, but I don't think it is really a waste of time to discuss the ethics of what you do.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We are not doing anything illegal, as far as I can see.

Omar Safari Edo-Abeche T.W.A.T
Adamu Safari Lagos-Abeche
Emi Safari- S Africa-Egypt-Sudan 10k miles
Chris Safari Jolly Roger Dakar-Niger-BF-Cameroon-Lagos-Mali-Nairobi 9.6k miles

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat
Ben Safari Safari Safari 2.5k miles

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ capricio,

Are you going to bait??? Smile

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
cheetah
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One thing I noticed that hasn't been brought up here...

Anyone here remember the Megan Miers/Lori Drew myspace thing?

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/01/21/080121fa_fact_collins

It's a long article, but presents the players and facts. In a nutshell, Lori, mother of teenage girl, creates fake myspace profile of a teenage boy in order to "get at" Megan, who had been involved in some teenage mean girl stuff with Lori's daughter. Megan ended up committing suicide.

Same as baiting? Discuss.

My thoughts on it- (no authority, I just got here)

Lori was baiting someone she knew. Who lived down the street. She had knowledge that Megan had psychological issues. Megan was not a criminal, although it could be argued that she was committing girl crimes. (?) More importantly, Megan was a child, and Lori still is a woman in her 40's.

What happens here, that I've observed, is folks are going after criminals, not teenagers. Folks with amazing computer skills are wasting the time of people who would be happy to empty out your bank account and not look back or care about the wreckage in their wake. The rules for baiting are articulated in a way that could be argued to protect the mugus from physical harm.

This might all come down to intention. Lori's stated intention was that she wanted to "mess with Megan." The intention here seems to bee to keep scammers' hands full to take away from their moneymaking, thereby lowering victim stat numbers. I'm sure that Lori's intention wasn't to have the girl commit suicide, but there's something much more reprehensible about a grown woman messing with a teenager than computer savvy individuals tying the hands of criminals for a little while...

Also for what it's worth, for those arguing legality here, I don't think that Lori has been able to be prosecuted for anything. Her life has been ruined though, by the same medium she used to mess the teenager. Folks got her information and ruined her business, got her husband laid off from his job, and made life much worse for her own teenage daughter.

I'm sorry if my argument is kind of spotty here. I'm in full support of baiting- I just see a few common elements in the Lori case. Mostly that the internet brought country justice, even though the law hasn't caught up with the technology.

I'm interested in others' thoughts on this. Or you can tell me there's no there there.

Question My question above was to myself about the girl crime- I'm not sure what it means but I know it exists... Question
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi cheetah. Welcome to Eater. Wink

I've already mentioned Lori Drew and what she has been indicted of a few pages ago.

It should also be stated that she was not baiting. She was cyber-bullying.
Huge difference.

capricio
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Corona wrote:
@ capricio,

I doubt any mentor would take me now. Smile
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Slightly will. He has to. I am his boss.

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ cheeta, Good point in that we mess with criminals, not innocents. As for the myspace story I remember reading that but the mother who created the fake page in no way forced the girl to commit suicide, she did that out of free will. We can argue the toss over the morals of it for weeks but the girl did have a choice.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry to be off topic, but what's with the avatar Rodus? Where are your usuals? Crying or Very sad

Goat

cheetah
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@slightly- Embarassed Sorry, I read everything but obviously my retention/comprehension isn't so hot...

Yes, the bullying is a huge difference. My post above, I was making the argument as I wrote, not terribly cogent! I'll go back to lurking on this thread, I don't have much to say since I think the ethics of this come down to the individual.

And I have no judgement for people who might go further/use tactics that I wouldn't, except to say, "Nice job."
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

capricio.

I'll mentor you. Not because Jojo is my boss (he's actually my bitch) but because you obviously need someone with superb skills to bring you back from the Dark Side.

cheetah. Your argument was way better than some I've seen here. Laughing

capricio
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I never really saw us as being on opposite sides, fundamentally. I just enjoy a good debate. I could have done without the name calling and characterizations, though. Crying or Very sad
Bustyn_Yuhrass
Forever n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

capricio wrote:
luckey wrote:

What we do is not illegal.

I'm not entirely confident about that, at least not in every case. . . . I'm pretty sure a court would frown upon using deception to manipulate people, even criminals.

Can I just say that in a police investigation, there are few situations in which deception is NOT used to manipulate criminals. When an investigator is interrogating a suspect, trust me, they are often not being 100% honest with that suspect. When they say "We know you did it!" their lying. When they say "Your partner is in the next room, handing you to us on a silver platter", they're being deceptive. When they say "tell us what you know and it will go easier for you", trust me, they are being DECEPTIVE! It may not give us all a warm, cuddly feeling, but deception really is necessary. We would be ineffective without it.

Mortar x4

banghead
pony pony pony
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Take Slightly up on his offer. Then, when he gives you pisspoor advice, email me and I will set things straight.

Goat

Bustyn_Yuhrass
Forever n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

capricio wrote:
Corona wrote:
@ capricio,

I doubt any mentor would take me now. Smile

I'll take you, provided you can get over your reluctance to do anything illegal. One of the duties of my n00bs is to dispose of the bodies. I don't like to get my hands dirty with such things. Gives me plausible deniability and all.

Mortar x4

banghead
pony pony pony
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic