SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

BMW Motorcycle Scam

View next topic
View previous topic

JaleBate
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all - I was bike-hunting for BMW F650GS and this came up in google - some OODLE site. (there's no direct link to his ad. I just noticed it got taken down just now. I guess other people have been reporting him). It was selling for $3,300 (2007 BMW F650GS) and I thought it was too good to be true because typically for that model and year - it usually sells for around $6,000 or more.

I suspected this to be a scam but hey - I figured why not. I emailed him -
Quote:
"Hi I'm very interested in this bike. I want to buy it immediately. Please contact me immediately"

He replied back -
Quote:
Hi,
First of all i want to inform you that the bike is in a great condition, never been involved in accidents, no scratches, no dents and the title owner is clear and has all the service records.
Now i am in London, United Kingdom, i moved back home and the bike is here with me.
Our locations will not be a problem because i have a contract with a shipping company which will handle the payment and the shipping to your address, and i paid all their taxes so you will not pay anything more than the price of the bike.
If you are still interested to buy my bike, let me know and i will explain you the entire procedure, step by step.

Regards!

his reply email has a name - "Peter Nelson" and obviously - that email reeks of scam. I played along... I replied back with one simple word - "sure" and Peter Nelson replied back -

Quote:
Hi ,
Here is the entire procedure with all the steps which we have to do:

A. First you have to send me your shipping information: your name and address: street, number, city, country, zip code.
1. After I receive your shipping info, I will go to shipping company location and leave the bike on your name and with your shipping address as the intended receiver.
2. The shipping company service will check the bike also the legal papers to see that everything is ok with it.

B. You will receive a notification from the shipping company service as a confirmation that the bike is in their custody and also, that the bike has been tested.
1. After that, you will have to send 50% of the entire value of the bike to shipping company service .
2. The shipping company service will verify the transfer, and if everything is in order, they will deliver the bike to your door step in 5-7 working days.
3. After you will receive the bike and you will be completely satisfied with it, you will instruct the shipping company service with your decision and if you will keep it, you will pay the rest of the money to the company.

C. If by any reason, you will not be satisfied with the vehicle, you will return the bike to the shipping company service with no expense.
Also i agree to give 10 days period to inspect bike and if you are not satisfied in it you will be fully refunded within 24 hours.

If you agree my terms please provide me your full name and address for shipping, so I can initiate the transaction through the shipping company service.
After that they will contact you with transaction details, invoice, payment instructions and more information about the shipping company service protection.

Regards!

It continues to humor me to no end... I did some email traceroute and I clicked to report a scam on Oodle site. (btw - I didn't report it yet) Apparently - the email traceroute says he's in California. Oodle site gave me an exact address -
Quote:
60 E 3rd Ave, Suite 410
San Mateo, CA 94401

So I replied back -
Quote:
Jale Bate
60 E 3rd Ave, Suite 410
San Mateo, CA 94401

And his reply was
Quote:
Thanks Jale,
Tomorrow i will start the shipment.
I will contact you with news after i arrive home
Send me an email if you have another question!

Regards!

I could not believe he didn't get it about "Jale Bate." LOL. So far.... no reply yet. I welcome any advices/help/etc. from experienced scam-baiter. Cool
benjaminbunny
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Jalebate and welcome Smile

First of all, we do have a rule here - no innocent third parties to be involved. That means addresses, phone numbers etc and includes FBI addresses. The address you gave is the address of the company Oodle http://www.oodle.com/info/contact/ so I would suggest that you drop him and start again from a new email address, or tell him you've moved and make up an address that doesn't exist.

Yes, it's a typical scam script, but I'll leave the more inventive baiters to help you out with it. In the meantime you could read the very helpful stickies and apply for a mentor Wink

Tips while waiting for a mentor
Request a mentor

Scamwarners.com Advice and info about scams
Jolly Roger pony

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic