SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Job scam - worried about my friend.

View next topic
View previous topic

squiggle
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi everyone.

Long time lurker here, first time poster. : )

I'm a little worried about one of my friends who I think *may* have been taken in by a scam.

She's very vulnerable at the moment and has been desperately seeking a job. She applied for a job on gumtree. When she mentioned it to me, my alarm bells went crazy. It was for transferring money?! She'd need to open her own bank account with Llyods to work for them and they asked for a copy of her passport.

When she told me she'd emailed a scan of a passport, I went nuts. No reputable company would ever ask you to email sensitive information? I've personally been a victim of scamming on eBay, and I was asked to transfer money to a Lloyd's account, and from lurking here, I notice a lot of bank details tend to be with them. Haha, the word Lloyd's just doesn't sit well with me!

I told her to just stop all contact and do NOTHING. However, as she'd sent a CV, they had her number, and they called her home. Her brother answered and mentioned it was a guy with not very good English. The emails are also in poor English, and were reminiscent of many emails I've read here (hence me coming to you guys for advice).

This, again, concerned me. I told her to not answer her phone at home and tell her family members that it's probably a telemarketer and to say she's not home.

Now I personally wanted her to report her passport stolen and get a new one, in case of any identity theft, but she had a holiday booked for Egypt in the next couple of days and couldn't afford to be without a passport. She also doesn't have the money at the moment to get a new one.

I told her to go on holiday and then report her passport stolen as soon as she gets back. She won't be needing one for a while after that so it won't matter if she can't get a new one straight away.

I don't have the original gumtree link, but this is the website of the company:

http://mackenziemylo.com/?page=vacancies&lang=en

It's poorly designed and doesn't look very professional.

And the email from the guy from the company is actually a free email account (rocketmail). Which, again, is curious, as most companies have their own email.

Am I being really crazy and worrying my friend for no reason? Or is this a scam and should I proceed as such? Any advice on what to do about my friend's details? They have her passport as well as her CV (which has her address, date of birth, phone number, education details etc).

Thank you so much for reading and thanks in advance for any advice. The work you guys do is awesome. : )
Eight
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It is screaming scam at me. You have done well to warn your friend, but she does not need to worry unduly about the passport. Mostly, it will be used by the scammer to con other victims. Not great, and that's why we don't advocate sending id, but not a huge id theft risk for your friend. She should alert her bank and any other financial providers that her details may have been compromised, and she should watch for any suspicious transactions on her accounts. Other than that, ignoring all calls and changing her email address should take care of the scammers bothering her.

I can send you/her some general information on scams with some links to other informational sites if that would help?

Oh, and welcome out of the dark corners of lurking and into the white heat of baiting - now that you've signed up, you'll never escape. Laughing

United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Benin Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Nigeria France Benin

Avatar from sweethell ** www.ScamWarners.com - Victim warnings, support, advice & information ** Click here to donate to 419Eater.com
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm sure some more experienced baiters will be along momentarily to give you very good advice, but I'll chime in here with my opinion.

Do searches on all the information you have, including the email address, the name of the company, and anything else you have available to you. If this is a scam that has been reported to one of the scam warning sites that will show up in the search. You could also go to our sister site, www.scamwarners.com and see if it has been posted there. They also have a forum called "Is this a scam?" where you could post the information as well.

Kudos to you for spotting this. I hope your friend enjoys her holiday in Egypt and comes home to a fresh start. And welcome to the forum.

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
Donato
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

WHOIS information for: mackenziemylo.com:

[whois.bizcn.com]

The data in this whois database is provided to you for information
purposes only, that is, to assist you in obtaining information about or
related to a domain name registration record. We make this information
available "as is," and do not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a
whois query, you agree that you will use this data only for lawful
purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this data to: (1)
enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that stress or load
this whois database system providing you this information; or (2) allow,
enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited,
commercial advertising or solicitations via direct mail, electronic
mail, or by telephone. The compilation, repackaging, dissemination or
other use of this data is expressly prohibited without prior written
consent from us. We reserve the right to modify these terms at any time.
By submitting this query, you agree to abide by these terms.

Domain name: mackenziemylo.com

Registrant Contact:
Mackenzie & Mylo inc.
Aliix Williams [email protected]
+1.3158769979 fax: +1.3158769979
129 E. Jefferson Street
Syracuse NY 13202
us

Administrative Contact:
129 E. Jefferson Street
Syracuse NY 13202
us

Technical Contact:
129 E. Jefferson Street
Syracuse NY 13202
us

Billing Contact:
129 E. Jefferson Street
Syracuse NY 13202
us

DNS:
ns1.saratov.ms
ns2.saratov.ms

Created: 2008-07-31
Expires: 2009-07-31

Walks like a duck, talks like a duck-i'm going with the fact it is a duck.

SCAM

pony Closed lad accounts - lots

<i><b>Free Pastor Frank!!!</b></i>
squiggle
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Eight - Thank you for your response! I'd greatly appreciate the info to pass on to my friend when she returns. : ) I've already told her to just keep an eye on her finances and to inform the bank. Hopefully, as she's away on holiday with her family, if the scammers call, they won't get any answer for 10 days or so, and that may put them off.

I'm very, very tempted to start scambaiting at some point! I do need a new hobby. ; )

Titania - Thank you for your advice too. Will definitely check out that website. I did initially google the company when they aroused my suspicions, but didn't really get anywhere. I'll post it there in case nobody's picked up on it yet.

Donato - Thanks for that! I'm glad I'm not being paranoid! Will definitely arm myself with all this and chat to my friend when she comes back. I'm just so angry that people can take advantage of vulnerable people like this. She kept saying how stupid she felt and it's been hard for her not to take this personally. : ( I'll also point her to this thread!
Eight
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

squiggle, you have mail. And since you say you need a new hobby ..... why don't you just hop over to here and grab yourself a mentor? I promise it won't hurt a bit. Twisted Evil

United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Benin Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Nigeria France Benin

Avatar from sweethell ** www.ScamWarners.com - Victim warnings, support, advice & information ** Click here to donate to 419Eater.com
Akai Ryu
Chuck Norris

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Posted in Fake Sites and databased:

http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1215829#1215829

aa419.org --dead a fake site today.

No, Akai, you're a wonderful bitch. --Reaper
Eight
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks, Akai. Smile

squiggle
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow, you guys are amazingly efficient!

Thanks for the mail, Eight! Haha, you mustn't tempt me right now! I'm already procrastinating far too much...

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic