SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

About Chinweoke and the audiobook

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
ersatz
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

For those who have read Book "Worm," Chinweoke most definitely have hired some kind of semi-pro home-recording equipment. If he would have delivered the mp3 in 196kbps, the quality of audio would definitely have been great. That's why he sent his real passport. He definitely bought the whole audiobook company thing.

I don't know, but fake opportunities for a honest job shouldn't be part of scambaiting. Not to say he didn't deserve it as he still exaggerated the costs.
luckey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi ersatz,

If I understand your post correctly, you were baiting a proven scammer, it went very well, but you backed out because you felt it was unethical to continue because your lad believed he found a legitimate job?

If I have it right, I certainly respect your right to set your own moral limits. I doubt many people here will agree that your bait was unethical. Turning the tables on scammers and using some of their own tactics against them is a big part of what baiting is all about. That said, if you prefer not to use such methods, but still enjoy interfering with their activities and protecting victims, there are lots of great ways to contribute such as fake site killing and straight baiting.

Whatever you decide, it's nice to have you with us. Very Happy

ersatz
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It wasn't me, it was one published by Shiver Metimbers in the Letters Archive section. I'm not trying to say anything negative about Shiver, at all. It's just that, like you said, maybe it felt a little unethical to me, at the risk of sounding naive. But the rest of the baits submitted by Shiver are great.
Newdonym
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pretty sure he's commenting on Shiver's bait, Book "Worm".

Welcome to the site ersatz. I disagree with your point although i do see where you are coming from.
If you care to notice, the scammer contacted Shiver first, trying to pull off a standard trunk box scam. It's not like the guy may have been a scammer, he definitely is one. These people do not care about your lively hood or even your life. It has been shown many times that even when presented with a "i need this money to pay for my life saving medicine, are you sure they will pay me in time" type script, 99.9999% of the scammers reply with, send the money, you will be repaid in time.

Edit: i see you've posted faster than me. Ethics are a personal thing. Everybody is different, you have to learn where your moral boundary lies and stick on the right side of it. Other people will go much further than you, but that is their choice. Lastly, if you get into baiting and get to the point where you can do either A) something you are happy with, or B) something you are not happy with, then always do A. Don't let other people persuade you, as it will just be yourself that will end up feeling bad.
luckey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I see. I haven't read that one in a while. Read around here and you will find a few baits that push the ethical boundaries a bit harder than that. Wink

Alternatively, why not try to find the ethical boundaries of the scammers? Grab a lad and tell him your four year old daughter is dying of leukemia. Get to the point where he is asking for fees and tell him you can't send them because if you do, she won't get the treatment she needs and she will die. Chances are, your lad will tell you to send the money.

Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can understand your feelings, ersatz. I have ethical questions about some of the baits I read as well. As has been stated above, I keep my own moral boundaries and let others find theirs.

I will tweak a lad's tail and send him on fruitless trips to WU. I will, without hesitation, kill bank accounts and get fake sites closed. I may even get a safari (if I get that far with a lad), but there are things that are done here that make me uncomfortable - so I won't do them.

Nothing that is done here is illegal, and nothing done here harms Innocent Third Parties - at least not at the hands of baiters. The forum has very strict rules on those points.

I understand the point of view that a scammer has no morals, no conscience, and no ethical compass, so whatever can be legally done is within the boundaries. I don't necessarily agree with that philosophy, but I know that each baiter is working from a slightly different viewpoint, and I stick to what I am happy with.

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic