SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Craigs List scambait (my first) and I'm stuck...

View next topic
View previous topic

MobileVideoEngineer
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So I'm trying to sell a dresser on Craigs List and after the second e-mail I find out it's a scammer. I even got to the point where I got the check for $1550 (of course I didn't know it was for that much until after he had already sent it). After I found out it was a scam, I made a new e-mail account and told him that my other one had to be closed due to technical issues.

These are the e-mails so far today...

From the scammer:

Hello Arnoldo,
Thanks for your e-mailed... Shipping company said you should send the rest money in cash. Please send the rest balance via Western Union Money Transfer.

Please find western union agent location nearest to you and give them cash and also give them the Shipping company representative information ( Rafaela Reyes ) okay... Get back to me with the Western Union transfer detals so that i ca forward it to the shipping company representative today.

I will be waiting for your fast response.

Daniel.

From me:

Daniel,

Is the shipping company in Florida? Will they be able to get up here to New Hampshire in time? If not, I can send you back the check since I haven't done anything with it yet.

Thanks,

Arnoldo

Him:

Yes... The shipping company is location in Florida and once they confirmed that you have send them there funds today they will come for the pick up early tomorrow morning okay. Dont worry about it okay take the rest cash to your nearest Western Union location around you send it now and i will be waiting for the Western Union transfer details today okay.
Thanks.
Daniel.

Me:

I don't know, I don't see how they could get here in the morning if they are all the way down in Florida unless they have an office in New Hampshire, but then why couldn't I just send it to the office in New Hampshire? Unless payment has to go through a central office or something. Anyway, it's not that big of deal because as long as they are here by Sunday, then everything should be fine. Anyway, there is a bank really close by so I'll go cash the check and see if I can't find a Western Union around here somewhere.

Thanks,

Arnoldo

Okay, so now I don't know what to do...
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You can't really bait this guy as (it sounds like) he has some of your real life details from the first contact, including your real address. I'd drop him immediately and move onto another lad. There's thousands of them out there. Just tell this one that there has been an error and the dresser has now been sold. Ask him how you can return his cheque.
Before immersing yourself into baiting it's a good idea to spend some time reading the FAQs and "stickies" at the top of each forum which will ensure your safety.

Welcome, and enjoy!

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris
Donato
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Does he have any of your real details? phone number email address, house address etc

I'm guessing the answer to the above is yes-seeing as though you received a cheque...
Quote:
After I found out it was a scam, I made a new e-mail account

So he also has at least one email from your 'original' account before you found out it was a scam?

WALK AWAY NOW!!!

Read the stickies especially this one

Ignore him he'll go away eventually.

Now did you try to cash the cheque, if so go and talk to your bank immediately before they ask you in for a chat. If you have the cheque, but have not attempted to cash it then write fake on it in big letters and either-keep it as a souvenir or shred it unless you still have the packaging (envelope etc) in which case either give it to the police or the postal inspector.

pony Closed lad accounts - lots

<i><b>Free Pastor Frank!!!</b></i>
Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome Smile

If you would like to start a baiting the orphans and lawyer types, I'd suggest you get a mentor here: http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122306&start=300

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic