SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Currently being scammed right now...what now?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
scambait01
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I guess my friend's email got hacked....

From his email account, this was sent

EMERGENCY
--
Hello Scambait,
How are you doing?Please let this not sound as a surprise at you.I was in a hurry writing you this message because i don't have much time on the computer here,so i have to be brief about my present situation which requires your urgent response..Actually, I had a trip to Nigeria yesterday but unfortunately for me all my money got stolen at the hotel where i lodged due to a robbery incident that happened in the hotel.I had been so restless since last night cos i have been without any money and as a result i am even owing the hotel here now.Moreover the Hotel's telephone lines here got disconnected by the robbers and they are trying to get them fixed back.I have access to only emails at the library because my mobile can't work here so i didn't bring it along,please i want you to help me with some money to use to settle the hotel fee and use the remaining to come back home please can you send me $3,200 so i can return back i would refund it back to you
as soon as i get home.even if you can't afford all please try and arrange the little you can so i can come back home. please am not happy here.
Await your swift response

Dingbat (Scammer)

--
I exchanged about 5 emails with him and we're now at his point...

Hi Dingbat,

Money is now with Western Union.

You have to pick it up at the Western Union location below.

DIAMOND BANK PLC
3 BODE THOMAS STREET
SURULERE
LAGOS , LAGOS STATE

Tracking Number is 9411494199
I put it under your full name.

Let me know how it goes.

Scambait01

Last edited by scambait01 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Breddan Butter
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Explain please.

What is that all about and who is Dingbat?

It's a rather peculiar first post that is difficult to understand.

Please enlighten us all.

My IP address is 217.21.39.255. (86.57.134.49 on Sundays) Please don't come knocking on my door.
scambait01
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry..a friend of mine emails me...it looks like his yahoo email has been hacked and the scammer sent this email to all his contacts asking for emergency money. Scammer is Dingbat.

We have exchanged about 5 emails now and my last phony email is telling him that the money is on the way. I'm awaiting his reply.
sheboppe
The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A lad going by the name of Dingbat? How interesting.

| <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135992> Official Eater T-Shirts</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028> Premium Membership</a> | ScamWarners | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413> Forum Rules</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51> Baiting Tutorials</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118738> Baiting Help</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846> FAQs</a> |

star pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Mortar x22
Breddan Butter
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ahh, that helps a little.

Why do you think that a scammer hacked your friends email address and then sent a message using a name other than that of your friend?
What would he gain from that?

I also like the use of the word 'mobile' which is what the Brits call a cellphone, yet he (whoever he is) asks for you to send US dollars. Confused

My IP address is 217.21.39.255. (86.57.134.49 on Sundays) Please don't come knocking on my door.
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing I think Scambait is saying that he/she edited the email and used "Scambait" in place if his/her own name and "Dingbat" in place of friend's name that the scammer is using.

Hi Scambait, Welcome to Eater. Very Happy
I am assuming that since this email originated with your friend's email address book, you are baiting this scammer with your real life email address. If that is the case, you should stop all communication with the scammer. It is unfortunate that this has happened; this is not the first time I've heard of this.

Your friend should close the account. Additionally, any personal information that may have been in the account, including banking information, etc. should assume to be compromised and reported to the bank/credit cards companies or proper agency.

If you want to start baiting, there are plenty of scammers. Create a fake email account (no real life connections) and take your pick from the scammers in the surplus forum.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
sheboppe
The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ima Baeder wrote:
"Dingbat" in place of friend's name that the

That makes sense. Laughing

| <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135992> Official Eater T-Shirts</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028> Premium Membership</a> | ScamWarners | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413> Forum Rules</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51> Baiting Tutorials</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118738> Baiting Help</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846> FAQs</a> |

star pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Mortar x22
Newdonym
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Surprised and you people are in charge...

The best thing you can do is get in touch with you friend and see if he can get his account back. If so, he will need to check his sent folder and send another email to everyone affected.

If he can't get back in then he will just have to try and remember any contacts he has.

He might also want to check what passwords and things were kept in the email address (confirmation emails to social networks etc) and then change those and make sure the scammer didn't use those newly accessed sites as another means to ask for help.

Actually, he may just want to change every password he has and check he doesn't have any malware/key loggers/ trojans etc on his PC.

As Ima said, don't use your regular account to bait this guy, not only does it have real life details (which usually means he could get all your details. The internet is a wonderful place), but scammers can sometimes get very annoyed with your efforts and spam it with huge amounts of crap, or spoof it so you get in trouble/get all the bounces.

There is probably more, but i'm tired.
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Newdonym - You forgot to say, "Welcome to eater, scambait01!" Very Happy

We really are nicer, less grumpy, less confused, and more helpful earlier in the day, scambaiter01. Wait till you see how wonderful we are tomorrow! Laughing

Oh, yeah, and take the time to complete the Eater University Quiz, and win fabulous prizes. Most of the baiters on this site are just too damn lazy to do it. You got until Sunday 1PM EST in USA to complete it and send it in. Wink Very Happy {another SlapHappy shameless plug}
http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=144393

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
Harry Pianis
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So, I guess you changed the names of the victim and lad? Ok.

I'm just a bit confused on how a lad actually HACKED your friend.

What was his password - password, or his username?

Was he telling other people (that he didn't know?) his password?

It's hard for me to beleive a lad hacked him.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerSkype Name
luckey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Some lads are into phishing. Rare, but it could happen.

If that's what he's doing, he probably sent that email to everyone in contacts hoping that a friend or relative would not notice the sudden shift in writing style and send piles of cash.

scambait01: Did you check the IP? If you'd like to post the headers, it would be good if we can check them out.

Another possibility is that your friend has turned lad. Wink

Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Americans would call it a cellphone or just cell; in Blighty it's called a mobile Wink

I think we've seen this sort of phish/impersonation thing before, but it's uncommon.

chugger
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

scambait01 wrote:
all my money got stolen at the hotel where i lodged due to a robbery incident that happened in the hotel.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
that bits great- imagine money getting stolen due to a robbery inciddent! Whatever next, getting murdered in a killing inciddent
Laughing
persephone
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Scambait, welcome to Eater. We also have a sister site dedicated to support. This may be a good site to direct your friend to: www.scamwarners.com.

Closed lad accounts loads
pony pony Mortar x46 United States 3x Canada Malaysia 2x Netherlands 2x Nigeria 2x Ghana 3x Ivory Coast 9x United Kingdom 3x Spain Bahamas, The Germany Australia Algerian Flag Togo 2x Cellphone Pretty Rose Safari 4 days of travel - 7 days stuck in airport
LotsaLove
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Harry Pianis - I recently was sent an email from my 6-year love scammer inviting me to an alleged friendship/dating site. My curiosity was piqued when I did a search on the site and could find no mention of my scammer, and even better, nobody on this side of the planet in my age group. A search on Google showed me the reason why - the email was simply a way for scammers to phish for more personal information, including all of the addresses in my Yahoo address book, to which it would then send the same invitation. Gotta love scammers and their abilities sometimes. Evil or Very Mad
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was at the gym today, and a man came up and complimented me on how hard I'm working to get strong - long story, and not relevant here. The conversation went on a bit and eventually came (as it will with me) to scams and scambaiting. He said he had recently gotten an email from his daughter's account saying she was in Africa and needed money. Since he was in close contact with his daughter all the time, he knew she wasn't in Africa, so he didn't fall for it. I told him she should be sure all her contacts from that account know it wasn't her that sent the email, and that she should close the account, get another one, and make sure any private information from that old account is not going to lead to more grief for her.

I love educating people!

BTW, welcome scambait01!

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nailgunner is right. Here in Britland we call them mobiles. The only time we call them cell phones is when discoursing with lads.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
Spudz
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Heres an example of a Yahoo Phish:

Quote:
Dear Valued Member,

Account Alert

VERIFY YOUR FREE YAHOO ACCOUNT NOW !!!

Dear Yahoo Member,
This message is from yahoo messaging center to all yahoo free account owners and premium account owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and e-mail account center. We are deleting all unused yahoo account to create more space for new accounts.

To prevent your account from closing you will have to update it below so that we will know that it's a present used account.

CONFIRM YOUR IDENTITY BELOW

Yahoo! ID : ..........
Password : ...........
Date of Birth : ......
Country or Territory : ...........
Enter the letter from the Security Image : ........

Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account within Seven days of receiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.

Thank you for using Yahoo! mail
Warning Code:VX2G99AAJ

Javed Main:I received your e-mail message but cannot read very well due to the injection I took last night/Please for Gods sake i would'nt like you to address my bank as feck/You are a priest and you are bold enough to tell me that you took 3 bottles of the finest whiskey/Please i am not ready to take more of your insult.

NIGERIA HE GOAT
IF YOU EVER SEND THIS TYPE OF THINGS TO MY EMAIL;; I WILL SHOW MY SELF TO YOU BASTAD NIGERIA HE GOAT....F*CK OFF AND DIE OF UNGER

YOU ARE SUCH A NONENTITY, I NEVER KNEW PEOPLE LIKE YOU STILL IN EXISTENCE. WHAT AN INGLORIOUS BASTARD ARE YOU?

Closed lad accounts x 10-2x33/8 you do the hokey cokey and you turn around and that's what it's all about
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic