SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

International space station:astronaut to earth (Radio stuff)

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
PsycheDelia_Smith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This might interest a few people here, as I know there are other ham radio operators at eater. At about 18:45z I was lucky enough to hear an astronaut answering questions from an operator on the ground. Doesn't happen often. I mean, the ISS goes around the earth umpteen times a day, but getting the variables of radio ham aboard, talking and overhead pass to coincide isn't an everyday event.

Freq was 145.800 nbfm. Only one side of the conversation was audible, so I chopped out the silent parts. He was gone in minutes.

http://members.419eater.com/~psychedelia_smit/spacestation.mp3

"I am now completely twatted and shagged and will obey all your instructions to the fullest."-"Tosser" Oguguo

Golden Pith "Frankily speaking,I wouldn't want to travel to the far east again."-Edward Smith, Lagos-Singapore (14600 miles round trip via Dubai)

9x Safari 4 x Lagos-Accra , 3x Port Harcourt - Ibadan, 1x Lagos-Singapore, 1x Burkina-Bamako
Netherlands Nigeria Ghana South Africa
Sand Timer'Ed', 3 yrs 8 mnths Sand Timer'Oguguo',6 years and 4 months

Last edited by PsycheDelia_Smith on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Tastysnack
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That was pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

"you are the must fool i have ever seen fuck you like the 12.5 million idoit dont write me again" Radebe Gumede 7-16-09 after his bank transfer failed.

"Sorry we do not know Mr. Gomer. Send that email fromthe so called gomer to us for scrutiny."- Devati Mooleedhar

SON OF A DOG GO EAT SHIT AND DRINK WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOSERRRRRRRRR.GET A LIFE--Bakar Saud (After Mr. Gomer chopped his dolla')

YOU ATE OUR MONEY AND YOU START MOCKING US--Bishop Anthony

Fake Checks Received= $63,487 US
The Blackwood Con
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's seriously cool!

I just found a video that I THINK might be by the same guy. His name is Garrett Reisman. I think. Well the video is of Garrett. I don't know about the audio you put up. It could have also been by a guy named Gregory Chamitoff.

Anyway, Garrett did a video called "A Day in The Life of a Space Station Astronaut". It's kind of fascinating. It's long too. Probably about 45 minutes to an hour. But he shows you a lot.

*LINK*

thanks for making a fool of me ok,you are just talking nonsense.man to hell with you if you keep fooling me all the time."
maybe i will come and lick your shoes just because you want to buy diamonds from me.
FrumpyBB
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice find Very Happy
I´m not a licensed radio operator myself but I have been listening to and logging SW (only) related things many years.
One OM from my home village managed a similar thing like you, 1-2 decades ago, actually talking to one scientist from SpaceLab (? not sure any more. Might have also been the Mir. The Iron Curtain did not take care of radio propagation...)

Safari Dan the lotto man, ARK mugu wedding
Safari Dennis the hitman, co-bait w/ Murry Guru
Safari Zake (w/ SH, SL & Craig)
Safari x 5 Modeling Mugu Meeting, w/ mewing_ghecko & Otterfan & SSC
Safari x 2 another MMM w/ SH
Safari x 13 Later shows and trips for the benefit of M00seknuckle, incl. the 0budu Fact Finding Mission

Come to our Eater University Baiting Tutorials Hello Kitty! pony Cos you deserve it. Smile Mortar x5 Closed lad accounts x50+ Sand Timer x 4 -- T.W.A.T Goat Easter Egg 2013
doc holliday
Squirrels Hate Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pretty cool.I was wondering if the were other hams on here.Never messed with 2 meters much,was mostly active on HF CW.Might dust off the 2 meter rig and get an antenna up ths weekend.

You have given me enough stress through the shit you sent to me
Jack the hitlad

What you sent to me is not real, don't you fucking understand simple english, that is not real slip from money gram, I have been using money gram before now, FUCK YOU. IDIOT. PLAY YOUR GAME WELL. MASTER OF ALL PLAYERS
Jack,the hitlad who keeps giving me fresh sig lines

Closed lad accounts x35 x2 Easter Egg 2012
FrumpyBB
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

CW, wow, I only managed to note down the call signs after the standard "CQ CQ CQ de..." which I found easily recognizeable.

Now that I come to think more clearly, I was wondering, there is nothing between Earth surface and the ISS, these ultra short wavelengths should propagate directly anyhow, shouldn´t they? I have just come to wonder whether the OP is a special coincidence at all...after all, the tiniest GPS can receive satellites´ signals...
(OK, I have never done it, I did only SWL, but I was just wondering, receiving the ISS´signals ought to be quite possible on a daily, if not hourly, basis with standard equipment...hmm...well I might stand corrected pretty easily but this was just my thought.)

Safari x 13 Later shows and trips for the benefit of M00seknuckle, incl. the 0budu Fact Finding Mission

Come to our Eater University Baiting Tutorials Hello Kitty! pony Cos you deserve it. Smile Mortar x5 Closed lad accounts x50+ Sand Timer x 4 -- T.W.A.T Goat Easter Egg 2013
PsycheDelia_Smith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Way back, when it was still up there, I'd heard the astronauts on MIR from time to time, but almost always speaking Russian. I actually got into their packet radio mailbox a few times.

I operate HF mostly, but occasionally natter to a few mates locally on 2 or 70. Actually I hadn't been active for some time, about 10 years in fact, and the radio bug recently started to bite again, so the equipment came back down from the loft.

Like doc holliday there, I enjoy CW too. Well, I had to learn it at 12wpm when I got my ticket, so it would've been silly to abandon it. I like how easy it is to build my own gear for the mode, too Smile

http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2004/10/06/1/?nc=1

"I am now completely twatted and shagged and will obey all your instructions to the fullest."-"Tosser" Oguguo

Golden Pith "Frankily speaking,I wouldn't want to travel to the far east again."-Edward Smith, Lagos-Singapore (14600 miles round trip via Dubai)

9x Safari 4 x Lagos-Accra , 3x Port Harcourt - Ibadan, 1x Lagos-Singapore, 1x Burkina-Bamako

Last edited by PsycheDelia_Smith on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
doc holliday
Squirrels Hate Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well,I was always better at operation than theory,but lets give it a shot.
These ultra short wavelengths do propage directly.Actually I believe most of the communication with spacecraft take place at even higher frequencies(the microwave spectrum)As the communication is line of sight,it depends on the orbit whether you are within its line of communication.The satellites for TV orbit such that they are in a fixed location from our point of view.The low earth orbit weather satellites are in an orbit that crosses the poles,so you have view of a given one twice a day.i have no idea what orbit the ISS is in,but I do know there are some very good freeware satellite orbit predictor programs that include the ISS in their databases.As the OP stated though,lots of variables.A ham on the ISS is going to get on as his schedule permits,and is unlikely to be an everyday thing.
As far as CW goes,when I was really active I could break 30wpm.That may sound fast,but I have heard of guys going over 60wpm.Thats slightly faster than slow radio teletype.

Jack the hitlad

What you sent to me is not real, don't you fucking understand simple english, that is not real slip from money gram, I have been using money gram before now, FUCK YOU. IDIOT. PLAY YOUR GAME WELL. MASTER OF ALL PLAYERS

PsycheDelia_Smith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A legendary local G4 used to hit speeds of up to 70wpm when going flat-out. He was ex-navy sigs, and definitely faster than me by a pretty big margin. I've seen him having a conversation on the telephone while carrying on a CW contact at the same time. Amazing.

doc holliday
Squirrels Hate Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well if anyone wants to make a lad learn morse code,you have at least 2 judges of his skill.

Jack the hitlad

Jen Derbender
flabbergasted

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, surprise of surprises, I never knew there were other radio types on Eater. I'm definitely an HF guy as well, but I've given up on making contacts. These days, I pretty much just listen.

As for receiving stuff from the ISS, in the ARRL antenna handbook there's a design for a stressed parabolic dish that a fellow used for intercepting Skylab and Apollo signals. Not for the faint of heart, especially the LEO stuff, since it moves across the sky so fast, you really need specialized equipment. Not for nothing that ISS and the Shuttle communicate with ground stations (with the obvious exception being the amateur radio activities) through geostationary communications satellites.

FUCK? FUCK AND FUCK YOU. YOUR NOTHING BUT SHIT OKEY, ARE YOU ARE OFF BACK TO SENDER... YOUR ARE A BIG RAT OKEY FUCK YOUR SELF UP AND WHOM EVER THAT SUPPORT YOU, FOOL FUCK YOUR MOTHER WITH NO SPAM, RAT. - Kaosiso Chukwu

"Folken sheet like you.Beach,your mother and your house maid are folken themselves... Folk your folks... you comes when you are been fingered which makes you an idiot of sex luncering.You will never understand that english because it is not made for people like you." - Insane Idiot

Does your lad have too much time and phone credits on his hands? Have him call the Integrated Customer Service Call Centre at +1 206 905 9742! Dissatisfaction guaranteed!

United Kingdom x2 China Nigeria United States Ivory Coast x2 Closed lad accounts x?
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm a G0, iMike is a ham too.

Years ago i got a QSL card from the Space Shuttle when I logged into its packet signal as it went over. Very strong reception, like sat TV, there's nothing in the way. I used a PC program with published data to know when it was coming over.

I have successfully forgotten most of my CW, I learned it for the the test, then never used it again. Like languages, you need to be able to do it automatically. If you think about a character for a second, you miss the next two.

I still have a mast in the garden (if its been there long enough you don't need planning permission) but the Yaesu HF set is in the attic. Now I can communicate all over the planet just by typing....

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Seven of Nine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I earned my VK ticket when the CW requirement for access to HF was dropped.
Will be studying to upgrade to the Advanced VK Licence in the near future.

Waiting for cycle 24 to produce more favourable hf propagation.

PsycheDelia_Smith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, G0 here too. First licenced 1982 with 'B' call, code test passed in '86. God, I'm old Smile
Roy, it's true you can communicate better via the internet these days, but there's just something about doing it via radio, especially if you build most of your kit yourself. I admit computers lured me away from the hobby, but one can compliment the other.

packman
Elite Baiter

Location: In his own little world but it's ok, they know him there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Roy I used to have a Yaesu FT101E many years ago, confreted it for CD but still got everything.

The receipt you send is totally invisible ok-Kelly

FUCK YOU SMALL BOI YOU ARE POOR IN HEAD AND SOUL
AND GOD WILL PUNISH YOU FOR SCAMMING HOUNST MEN LIKE ME.. Segun Akintemi
Click here to support 419Eater.com
pony <-- I got a pony WAHOO Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x3
doc holliday
Squirrels Hate Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You feel old-my first license is dated 1974!I got a DXCC award in the early 80's,and a fair number of the countries are now on the deleted countries list.I have to agree about there being something special about radio.I can speak with someone on the other side of the world with crystal clarity via the internet,but is very different doing it with nothing between you but "the ether".Building your own stuff certainly added to the thrill.I find that computers have complimented my radio hobby very well.
I must admit to a certain fondness for vacuum tubes.You cant abuse the finals in a modern tranceiver until they glow cherry red like you could a pair of 6146s or a 6L6.

Jack the hitlad

FrumpyBB
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I might have logged you, too...not likely the VK station, though. I only had a CB radio antenna which I abused for this purpose.
I started with the external services, then free radio Wink , collected some dozen QSL´s and managed to call in a few stations from Holland (the thrill!) Very Happy
Then came the African tropical bands (hence why I still know which language belongs to which country, and the capital cities...), got a few dozen from Latin America; then I switched completely to Pirate radio (listening Sad ) only; then hams only; then clandestines. Last I had were the number stations.
Every other winter another "subject".
Mother nature makes it all being so nicely unpredictable, sometimes it works miraculously, sometimes you get nothing.
A few years ago, until last year, however, I was living opposite to a big hospital complex, which reduced chances a lot. Now I live in a small village next to the same city, did a few nights last winter but baiting fill smost of my evenings Still read the glenn hauser and SW news reports reports quite regularly though, but apart from the DW news, that´s it for the moment.

doc holliday
Squirrels Hate Me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Frumpy-no antenna is abused!I was renowned amongst my friends for making contacts using any piece of metal that came my way.I loaded transmitters on bedsprings,rain gutters,and once made a contact with Japan in my car off a 24 inch gutter whip.A good antenna tuner goes a long way.You seem to have done your share of SWL listening across the board.I use a Collins R390a for it myself,and keep intending to do it when I have the time.I admire you following the number stations.Interesting certainly,but way to dull for my liking.
I think the internet has likely put pirate radio out of business.It's a damn shame-I used to love hearing one.Got a couple t shirts and bumper stickers out of the deal.There was a point in time when I had some equipment that could broadcast on the High end of the AM band.I really thought about it,but a close friend worked for the FCC in the local office,and I really didn't want to encounter him on a profesional level.

Jack the hitlad

FrumpyBB
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The 1/2 lambda one worked pretty well...I had no high end equipment, only magazines and patience. It felt like hunting. Started with a Siemens RK 651 (still works after 20 years) and later a Sony ICF2001, then some longwires.
When I found out about the "Conet project" (a 4 CD publication with number station recordings), I understood I knew a lot of them: the Lincolnshire Poacher, the ones belonging to East & West Germany, the Spanish ones, the Swedish Rhapsody, the Mossad ones etc etc Smile crazy and enigmatic. Many still active today. Very Happy Now the Conet project is all on archive.org for free download HERE. I don´t know why I enjoyed this, listening to them is so completely useless LOL
Today, I think Worldwide DX club is a good source for SWL.
You are not quite correct about pirate radio though. The 48 meter band is still quite active in Europe, as is the region around 1650 kHz. Found an internet forum about that recently, too Wink What has changed is that they can rent legal stations today in Latvia or Milano. My, I was even recording them (programmes, ann´s) in the early 90ies.
Wonder what I will think about baiting in 15 years.

Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to listen to the number stations a lot, and never really knew why, it was just because it was clandestine and mysterious, and the thought of spies sat there copying it all down in secret was all very James Bond (you never saw him doing it).

I discovered the Conet Project after reading a Wiki page about the film Vanilla Sky, I think. They play the music from the Lincolnshire Poacher in it - I sat up straight and said 'I know that music' - very creepy it is too, even more so in a cold war - spy context. LINK

Not the same listening to it on record though, live was much better.

I had a friend who used to transmit using the metal strip up the outside of a telegraph pole outside his house, using his central heating as a groundplane.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey

Last edited by Roycropper on Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
JustineBaitman
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thats one of the most awesome things I ever heard.

Thanks for sharing.
PsycheDelia_Smith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Free radio's alive and reasonably well in Europe! Listen between 6.3 and 6.5 mhz at weekends, mostly Sunday mornings, and you'll more than likely hear one of the hobby pirates, running anything from a couple watts to a couple KWs.

I first heard a 'numbers station' on my grandfather's table receiver when I was a little kid. I thought it was martians or something, that mechanical-sounding female voice repeating the groups of 5 digits. Very spooky.

FrumpyBB
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

"Delta Foxtrot Delta Zwo Eins Delta Foxtrott Delta Zwo Eins...

...this goes on for 10 minutes...

sechs fünnef Gruppen sechs fünnef Gruppen ... how many blocks of numbers to expect

Achtung ...attention!

Es folgen Mitteilungen fuer :...messages following for :

fünnef drei zwo neuen neuen fünnef drei zwo neuen neuen ... these are all numbers
acht sieben zwo zwo eins acht sieben zwo zwo eins...
and on for 15-30 minutes or longer LOL

DFD 21 was one of the BND stations. When the Iron Curtain fell, this station was discontinued. Many dozens still active though, in English, Chinese, German, Spain, Slavic Laughing
East Berlin´s number stations´ female computer voices read the numbers like hysterically barking chichihuahua dogs Laughing

Last edited by FrumpyBB on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Damn. I thought you guys were geeks for discussing this.
But then I started Googling "Numbers Stations" and ended up engrossed.

Dammit. I even listened to the recordings!!!

Interestingly, you say dozens are still active, Frumpy. From what I can gather, their number has actually increased since the fall of the Iron Curtain!

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
FrumpyBB
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

LOL Yes. It IS strange...especially since no one knows what they actually mean. There is a lot of speculation. Secret services, milititary, multinational companies, agents, diplomats... officially they do not exist for any purpose Wink

I´m not being so vague because political crises etc etc are not to be discussed here. After decades, really, nobody knows what they mean. They continue to be a mistery.

Last edited by FrumpyBB on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic