SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

National dish of Holland?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Klaasvaak
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bitterballs!!! Thats some serious haute cuisine

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xoax4X0KwQg

bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ MyMyselfAndI
That would be boerenkool stamp and rookworst Laughing
The cabbage is called Kale in English here and just putting it in the freezer for a night will give it the right taste. You can grow it yourself if it doesn't get too warm/dry where you are.
BTW the French call it chicken feed and won't eat it Laughing

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
What do you call a group of dairy longshoremen who put on white uniforms, don straw hats with colored ribbons, and carry wheels of cheese to and from a 14th Century weighhouse on wooden barrows suspended from their shoulders?
In Alkmaar, they're referred to as "cheese porters" (or the Dutch equivalent), and members of their various guilds have been helping to bring cheese buyers and sellers together for at least 600 years.
Today's Alkmaar Cheese Market is more show than substance, if only because Dutch cheesemaking has been a mass-market industrial operation since the 1960s. In The Cheese Primer, Steven Jenkins says of Edam and Gouda cheese:

Who is this person Mickey Mouse???
trying to dercieve hoorable men like me. You are stupid man ok.
persephone
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Geez, Wayne, I am only a PM away, no need to open a full thread Laughing If your friend would like to try some Dutch dishes, tell him to come and visit me when he is here. I would be happy to cook for him Laughing

Here is a nice linky one of the nice Eater folks gave me once (BCtje?? Donneke? Or was it you, Reap?) EDIT: or the ever clever Ook? Wink
http://thomer.com/howtos/eat_hagelslag.html

Closed lad accounts loads
pony pony Mortar x46 United States 3x Canada Malaysia 2x Netherlands 2x Nigeria 2x Ghana 3x Ivory Coast 9x United Kingdom 3x Spain Bahamas, The Germany Australia Algerian Flag Togo 2x Cellphone Pretty Rose Safari 4 days of travel - 7 days stuck in airport

Last edited by persephone on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it was Ook.

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
MyMyselfAndI
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^ bill2

Never thought of putting it in the freezer overnight. Will try that later this year and forward the tip to all my Dutch friends here who have the same problem as me. Us southern Swedes eat it for Christmas but never at any other time of the year. My Dutchy was very amused when we went to Sweden the first Christmas together as kale just a normal winter dish in Holland. Main difference is that Swedes it just the kale and we don't mix it with mashed potatoes.

Why am I hungry now?!

"I 4LH4JI 4N4NE C0MP0A0REU THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF F1RST B4NK OF 4FRIKA B.O.A HAVE JUST FINISHED READING THIS YOUR SECOND MAIL AFTER YOU INSAULTED ME WITH YOUR FORMAL MESSAGE." - 4lh4ji C0mp0a0reu director B4nk of 4frica

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY 50 DOLLARS????ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING OR DO THINK THAT YOU ARE SELLING FOOD ITEMS IN THE MARKET OR DO YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE DEALING WITH A PERSONAL BANK." - 4lh4ji C0mp0a0reu director B4nk of 4frica
persephone
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually, forget about meals, the best stuff here is the candy Very Happy Although most foreigners do not go for salty liqorice or tum tum (no idea why - great stuff!), you can have a nice pick out of stroopwafels, hagelslag, eierkoeken, tompoezen (Hema's are great!) or try some local specialties Very Happy

pony pony Mortar x46 United States 3x Canada Malaysia 2x Netherlands 2x Nigeria 2x Ghana 3x Ivory Coast 9x United Kingdom 3x Spain Bahamas, The Germany Australia Algerian Flag Togo 2x Cellphone Pretty Rose Safari 4 days of travel - 7 days stuck in airport
Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tommo, are you taking notes at all? Laughing

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Yes we can! (with a bit of help)
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@MyMyselfAndI,
Just the sugars in there that have to be broken down by the frost to make the taste, you can store it for months in the freezer too, just make sure it's rather dry when you freeze it.
But.... no matter what I tried I never get the perfect taste of back home, close but just a bit different, must be the wrong smoked bacon for the kaantjes or a sweeter kind of pieper we have here. As the deer eat more kale then me, I gave up growing it. Laughing

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Bill : now I understand where the english name for boerenkool originates from .. Smile

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Doodle Bug
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

F the food Dutch People are nice Smile

bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@dutchbait ^^ Question

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^kale struikjes after the deer's visits .. Smile

breadcrumb
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Whatever you eat in the netherlands: If persephone has cooked it, do not eat it....no matter how often she tells you: "Hey, this is supposed to make your lips turn blue" or "Yes, this is supposed to be still moving and making funny sounds" Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

"your papa, i do you ok, you do fuck your self off goodday" Hitman lad to Usm4an B3ll0
"fuck you and your mumu family for ever andv ever, you go die for bicycle accident this year" Hitman to Usm4n B3ll0
"once again thank you for the disappointment and arranged confussion." Barrister Ise
"Do you said am stupid" lad posing as Mike Pence
Click here to support 419Eater.com
Postcount doesn´t matter.
pony Rolling Eyes (Admin Certified)
9x United Kingdom 2x Spain Benin Netherlands Nigeria Switzerland
Mortar x12
persephone
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We like our fish raw, BC, it is supposed to be that way Twisted Evil

My cooking is excellent for your immune system by the way. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. If I ever opened a restaurant, that would be the motto Very Happy

Herring with onions is the best by the way Very Happy Although the season is pretty much over, it is worth another trip next year Very Happy

Agi Hammerthief
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

persephone wrote:
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

the good old RPG motto, pass those XP along Very Happy

there is a second part to this though:

"what kills you leaves you dead"

[disclaimer: this comment is in no way related to the cooking skills of living 419 Eater members]

hug the trolls - maybe it will help them to stop being a worthless piece of trash

CellphoneCellphoneCellphoneCellphoneCellphone CellphoneCellphoneCellphone Cayman Islands United Kingdom x3 Nigeria
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@dutchbait
That would be nice if they would eat it that way, I just plant a bit more then, first it never grows cause they eat the first leaves and then what goes up must come down. You could call that fertilizer for the next year and the potatoes do appreciate it, but it does nothing for the kale without leaves.
The only things they leave alone, piepers en juin, so that's what I grow now. Nope they dig up the carrots after eating the green on top so I can't even make a nice hutspot Laughing
They do make a great jerky though Wink

What! NO! never!, but my native son in law can hunt them all year and he likes some help cleaning them. But that doesn't scare them a way and there are too many to solve the problem that way and then how much jerky can you eat Laughing

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Bill: I like that way of farming: sow kale and reap jerky. Who needs hutspot?

Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

dutchbait wrote:
Tommo, are you taking notes at all?

Oh yes! I copied and sent the comprehensive post from irish to my friends a few days ago. I think they are still digesting it.

I never knew Dutch cuisine would provoke such a response. Almost as much as trying to name five famous Belgians. Laughing

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

*sigh* After all the culinary gems the (former) dutch members posted, you mailed your friends with some outdated wiki trash Irish provides?

Mods, please lock this topic. I'm done.

bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@dutchbait
That's just real Dutch, seeing a profit where nobody else does Wink
But I like variety in my food.

I agree ^, lets talk about those 6 famous Belgians now Laughing

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tintin

bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah Kuifje, that's a long time ago I heard about him, Herge is gone, but the books are still running?
My favorite Belgian Pauwels Kwak and only the connoisseur will now know what I'm talking about Wink But I do miss it.

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jeanne Deckers (The Singing Nun)

Dominique", Laughing

Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Suckse & Whipse? Jerom, Prof. Barabas, Aunt Sidonia, Lambik. That makes 6. Back to dutch cuisine. Laughing

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic