SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Sometimes they listen

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My roommate's sister came over today, and we all went out to lunch. During lunch the conversation turned (as it is likely to when I'm involved) to scambaiting. After I told about the baiter who saved a woman from sending $10,000 through WU, the sister pulled an envelope out of her purse.

She opened it and took out a letter and a check. The letter said she had won $250,000. The check was for $4500. She was told to call a number before cashing the check (within 5 days). When she called the number, a very bored-sounding man told her to deposit the check and send $2000 for taxes (via WU or MG, of course), and the rest of her winnings would be sent.

She took the check to her bank, which said it looked OK, but if she wanted, they would put a 10-day hold on it. They also took copies of the check and the letter (which was postmarked Canada). She said she thought it would not be a good idea, and the teller agreed and recommended she go to the police. The police department said they have gotten hundreds of scam complaints about that particular letter, but unless she had actually sent money there was nothing they could do.

She thought about it some more and, since the letter had come through snail-mail, she took it to the Post Office. They also made copies - they take this kind of thing fairly seriously, although they are not guaranteeing any results, just collecting evidence.

Thing is - this woman and her husband have both had to take early retirement, and their bank account is always on the edge of red. Two hundred fifty thousand would have looked really good in there. But because I have talked scambaiting a lot recently, alarm bells began ringing as she put together what was probably going on there.

These are both intelligent people, but when one is looking overdraft in the eyes every month, the temptation to believe is strong. I'm glad my tales stuck with them.
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Getting out there and talking about it is so so valuable - it's our public service face, and means we can have more fun torturing pets too knowing another innocent potential vic has been saved!

Hurrah for you! Smile
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Telling people about internet scams and how they work is probably the most important thing we can do to help prevent it. It still amazes me that after all these years of internet and snail mail scams there is still such widespread public ignorance about it and people continue to get sucked in. As you say, it's usually the people who can least afford it.

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
The Blackwood Con
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been telling all my friends about scams and scam baiting since I joined the forum a few days ago. I know I won't have to tell my parents though, because they are pretty well versed in the internet and what is going on with scams.

It still amazes me though how easy it can be for someone to take your money. It's pretty scary...

thanks for making a fool of me ok,you are just talking nonsense.man to hell with you if you keep fooling me all the time."
maybe i will come and lick your shoes just because you want to buy diamonds from me.
simpsonman3000
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So Titania are you saying that my saving of the person's 10 grand also helped this person?

HEY YOU OLD DISEASED SLAPPER I KNOW YOU F**K ANYTHING AND SUCK EVERYTHING HEARD YOUR C**T IS SO BIG NOW EVEN A HORSE CANT FILL IT!!! ENJOY IT AND HOPE YOU GETS AIDS YOU DISEASED MUGA BASTARD!!!- Some lad got pissed when I called him a slut.
sheboppe
The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Titania - that is a great story. I'm happy that you talking about scambaiting to your friends did save them a great deal of heartache. Education is a great weapon for fighting scams, the hard part is getting people to believe that they are vulnerable to being conned.

| <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135992> Official Eater T-Shirts</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028> Premium Membership</a> | ScamWarners | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413> Forum Rules</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51> Baiting Tutorials</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118738> Baiting Help</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846> FAQs</a> |

star pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Mortar x22
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@SM3000 - it could be. I think it was probably the fact that I have mentioned scams and scambaiting at every family get-together for over a month now that got her thinking "red flag" at certain points, but it was telling your story that convinced her to bring the letter out and confirm with me that it's a scam.

@SB - so true. I wish I could have the opportunity to talk to each person who signs up for a dating site and warn them about what's out there. Especially the disabled - we are in many ways more vulnerable because of old mind-sets that disability equals lack of desirability.
Obi-Wan Knievel
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is a great story. You saved someone from losing thousands and getting in deep doo-doo with the authorities, and you stopped a scam dead in its tracks. That, in my humble opinion, hurt the lad more than a thousand baits. Hats off to you, Titania. If you've got a nice warm feeling about what you've done, go ahead and enjoy it. You've earned it! Thumbs up
simpsonman3000
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

cool.

whatever gets the job done

HEY YOU OLD DISEASED SLAPPER I KNOW YOU F**K ANYTHING AND SUCK EVERYTHING HEARD YOUR C**T IS SO BIG NOW EVEN A HORSE CANT FILL IT!!! ENJOY IT AND HOPE YOU GETS AIDS YOU DISEASED MUGA BASTARD!!!- Some lad got pissed when I called him a slut.
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for that Titiana Very Happy
I'll post this info over at scamwarners too.

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
Good_Ash
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Praise be Titiana! Never doubt that you have accomplished something worthwhile, even indirectly. I, on the other hand, have a dumb cousin who recently fell for a classic 419 scam even after he was told better.

Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@GoodAsh, sorry to hear about your cousin.

It's when someone tells me they had second thoughts because of something I said that I feel - not just warm and cozy - but like I'm making a difference in this world. And that keeps me going.
Simba
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Titania - Bloody well done - Disappointed mugu on the menu..... clapping

Safari=Mr Yetonde-Sierra Leone to Accra
Safari=Mr Jiullus-Abidjan to Accra to Kumasi to Tamale
Safari=Mr Dandy-Abidjan to Monrovia-SSC Liberia
Safari=Mr Mandela-Jo'burg to Maun-SSC Botswana
Safari=Mr Danka-Dakar to Bangul-SSC Gambia
Safari=Mr Twumasi-Accra to Cotonou-SSC Benin
Safari=Mr Gomer-Lagos to Douala to Parakou-SSC Cameroon & SSC Benin
SafariSafariSafari=Mr Chukwu-Lome to Accra to Koforidua. Lome to Lagos. Lome to Cotonou.

Ivory Coast Nigeria Sierra Leone Somolia Liberian Flag Gambia South Africa Kenya Angola Flag Guinea Bissau Burkina Faso Ghana Mali cameroon Benin Senegal Togo
voltar2008
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

excellent, excellent job

you are a very foolish idiot.bastard - Paul L0ck3tt

Your are the most worst beast i have ever come across i don't know who gave you acess to internet.motha fucker. - P4tr1ck S4mb0

I thought fools like you are no more in existence, what on earth did your mum leave to you? You are worst fool on mother earth. anyaway, no need talking much on this. Come suck my p***y. - l1ND4

Linda
writeon
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Great work Titania ...............a result.

"MY FINANCE DEPARTMENT TOLD'S ME TODAY THAT THE WESTERN UNION FORM YOU SENT WAS NOT VALID AND ELUCID" - Dr Frank Johnson

THERE IS A MURDER CASE WHICH I ENGAGE MY SELF INTO TO MAKE SURE THE CLIENT IS NOT KILLED BY HANGING, BUT I THANK GOD TODAY THAT THE CLIENT SUCIDED IN GOING TO JAIL INSTEAD OF HANGING TO DEATH,THAT IS THE REASON WHY I DIDN,T GET BACK TO YOU SOON. - Mohammed Traore

PLEASE HELP ME BECAUSE AM BURNING I MEAN I AM IN BETWEEN THE DEVIL AND THE RED SEA PLEASE. - Ruth
Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good for you!

Harry Pianis
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wo0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0t!

>>>Need some chickens?<<<
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerSkype Name
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic