SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Baseball Related and PC Gaming Question.

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Donato
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

After reading Michael Lewis's Moneyball (and already having an interest in management sims-Football Manager Series) i went and bought Baseball Mogul 08.

Playing it has raised a question and not being American i wouldn't have a clue where to look or who to ask-so here is as good a place as any. (well i could've asked on the forum for the game-but i can just imagine the derision, plus i'm trying to cut down on forum joinage etc etc.)

Can i buy players-straight out for cold hard ca$h??? If so can anyone give me ballpark numbers for what i should pay for each position.

Or does it have to be a player trade-two seasons in i've so far survived by the luck of free agents (and re-training of positions) but i'd like to be able to buy players for their natural positions-besides, i don't wanna try and trade what i have as i want to keep what reasonable quality i have.

Also gaming related anyone else here play either Baseball Mogul or FM Manager (aka WWSM-World Wide Soccer Manager)?

pony Closed lad accounts - lots

<i><b>Free Pastor Frank!!!</b></i>
simpsonman3000
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

moneyball is a great book... look where the oakland a's are right now in the standings Smile

Quote:
If so can anyone give me ballpark numbers for what i should pay for each position.

well there really is no ballpark... obviously gregorio petit for the oakland a's (LET'S GO OAKLAND!!!) will cost less than alex rodriguez... but there really isnt a ballpark, especially in baseball

and if you mean if you can buy a player off a team for ca$h, you can in the MLB, so i would think so in the game..?

tell me what happens

HEY YOU OLD DISEASED SLAPPER I KNOW YOU F**K ANYTHING AND SUCK EVERYTHING HEARD YOUR C**T IS SO BIG NOW EVEN A HORSE CANT FILL IT!!! ENJOY IT AND HOPE YOU GETS AIDS YOU DISEASED MUGA BASTARD!!!- Some lad got pissed when I called him a slut.
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I guess one issue is at what point are you obtaining the players? Beginning of the season or mid-season? IN real MLB, if mid-season, and before the trading deadline (meaning the player does not have to go through waivers first), then you can only obtain a player via a trade with another team (either for cash or another player(s) or both).

If at the beginning of the season, you can make offers for free agents (their rights aren't owned by any team). Then it's purely a cash issue.

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
Donato
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm pre season (and pre draft) Nov 9th 2008 in game time, free agency has just opened. I'm Oakland and have $66M in cash and am $30M inside payroll budget. Last draft i went position-this time i'm going pitching (looking at control and health as the two top draws).

Right now i need 1xRP (not sure which type-though would love someone with control), 1xSS (coming off the bench) 1xSP (4th or fifth-i think) and a back up 3B man.

The 3B man i can get via a second baseman and retrain ($3m pa for 3 years-btw is it me or is baseball salaries ridiculous??? ) is Jamey Carroll. Or i can get Scott Spezio (worse stats-but my scouts like him for $4M for 3 years.

Draft i'm looking at RP x2-good enough for AAA and RP's for both AA and A.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

@JMR-what is waivers, how do i find free agents that will give me draft picks if i sign them, then let them walk at the end of the season and what's better to go after in the draft pitching, positions or a combo or alternate season by season.

edit to add first draft i got four out of ten position players i listed (all had 80+ helth and obp of 4+)and had to take on i listed and discarded and some wannabe pitcher as my 6th. I was 22nd chooser.

pony Closed lad accounts - lots

<i><b>Free Pastor Frank!!!</b></i>
U. Sir Name
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The A's are right where they should be in the standings... Behind the Angels.

Please take note my name is DAKORU BAKARE and not Bukake

i got your ATM card and you come and bring your information and also pay your $95 charge and collect the God dam card ok.

ok sorry i got you message, and i going to go fuck myself as you said. thanks very much.
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Donato wrote:

@JMR-what is waivers, how do i find free agents that will give me draft picks if i sign them, then let them walk at the end of the season and what's better to go after in the draft pitching, positions or a combo or alternate season by season.

Well, I don't know how your gaming system works things, but in r/l, the trade deadline demarcates when a team can trade a player without that player first going through the waiver system. As such, it's not really a deadline to trade players, as much as a signaler of when waivers begin.

Briefly, the waivers system works like this: post deadline, Team A wants to trade Jim Jones to Team B. However, b/c he has to go through waivers, basically every other team (in order based on record and a few other things) gets a shot at claiming the player. If only one team, say Team X, claims Jim Jones, then Team A can only trade Jim to Team X. If say, Team B and Team X both claim him, then the team with the worse record gets him.

There are myriad other rules involved (I'm no expert), but that's the gist. Pre-deadline, Team A has carte blanche in how and to whom it trades Jim Jones; post-deadline, everyone has a shot so there is little freedom of movement, and hence not many trades. Note: salary concerns can come into play, so if you had a really expensive player that on one wanted, he could probably pass through easily enough and then you could do a deal if you could work one out.

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic