SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Iphone scam, need a bit of advise

View next topic
View previous topic

pheonix9512
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Please excuse me if this is off topic or already answered, I searched the forums but didn't find anything related.

So here's the story. I posted my iphone on craigslist for sale and received a response offering my asking price plus $100 to ship to (guess where?) Nigeria. Of course I immediately assumed this was a scam but I can't figure it out. The buyer is willing to mail a money order, in US funds.
I suggested we use Western Union but they said that it was insecure and would only use a Money order or Paypal. I have a fake address to send the MO and once I cash it it can't be reversed.

Please offer any advise you can on how this is a scam or even (gulp) legit.
Thanks
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
The buyer is willing to mail a money order, in US funds.

He will either send a money order (counterfeit) over the amount of the iphone and then ask that you wire the difference, or will send a money order, and then decide that he can't afford the iphone right now, and then ask that you refund him, again by a money wire.

Meanwhile, the money order you cashed/deposited will eventually be found to be fake and you would be stuck for that and out of the cash that you wired to the lad.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi pheonix, welcome to the eater, yes, it's a scam.

It works like this, it's called the overpayment scam, which is done with a fake cheque.

The scammer will offer to buy your goods, say you are selling something for $500, the scammer will send you a cheque for the value of $1500, asking you to deposit the cheque in to your bank, then withdraw the funds and send the money to his shipper, except the shipper does not exist, the scammer is not interested in the item you are selling, he simply wants you to send him back the overpayment.

Due to the way banks work, they have to make deposited funds available to customers before the cheque has cleared, so victims see the balance on their account, assume the cheque has cleared and send the overpayment to the supposed shipper, who is infact the same scammer, some time later, your bank informs you that the cheque you deposited was fake, you face having your account frozen, and possibly being arrested for fraud/moiney laundering, as has happened to other victims, you are also liable to pay back the bank the full amount of the cheque.

[edit]

Bugger, beaten by TS.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
pheonix9512
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the info but there's still two issues. One, here in US we can cash money orders pretty much anywhere for cash (so no depositing). Also couldn't I just use a fake name, cash it, and keep the money? They couldn't recoup the MO if it has already been cashed and the person who cashed it isn't available.
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Also couldn't I just use a fake name, cash it, and keep the money?

You could. The authorities tend to frown upon that, though.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, you could use a fake name to cash the cheque and keep the money, in that case, you have committed fraud, money laundering and any number of other offences, the cheque you cashed is a worthless fake cheque, expect the feds to be knocking on your door.

[edit]

The Snerd did me again Evil or Very Mad

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
pheonix9512
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good point, I shouldn't stoop to this guy's level. Thanks for all the info. I love the site btw, what your all doing is god's work.
luckey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

pheonix9512 wrote:
...here in US we can cash money orders pretty much anywhere for cash (so no depositing). Also couldn't I just use a fake name, cash it, and keep the money? They couldn't recoup the MO if it has already been cashed and the person who cashed it isn't available.

I'm not sure that's as easy as you think. Most of the places that cash those things will require ID. When it gets discovered to be fraudulent, they'll probably just turn the debt over to a collection agency.

Even if that's not the case, whoever accepts it will lose the cash, and the scammer loses nothing but a worthless piece of paper and maybe a bit of postage.

pheonix9512
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I e-mailed the guy telling to send western union or no deal so we'll see. That was a stupid idea, cashing it and all. Thanks a million.
luckey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^It's the sort of idea that a lot of people come up with when confronted with a situation like yours. You were smart to check it out before acting. Very Happy

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic