SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

baiting = vigilantism? websters says yes.

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
voudoujoe
Mentor Slut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I saw the debate on whether or not baiting was a form of internet vigilantism. It interested me, so I did a little poking around in dictionary.com. I believe the answer is yes. Personally, I kind of like the label. Decide for yourself.

Definition #2 seems it could apply, depending on the definiiton of "avenge"
VIGILANTE wrote:
1. a member of a vigilance committee.
2. any person who takes the law into his or her own hands, as by avenging a crime.
3. done violently and summarily, without recourse to lawful procedures: vigilante justice.

Both #1 and #2 apply - depending on the definition of "vengeance". I say that as many baiters readily admit they bait for some type of satisfaction and/or exact some sort of poetic justice on behalf of scam victims.
AVENGE wrote:
1. to take vengeance or exact satisfaction for: to avenge a grave insult.
2. to take vengeance on behalf of: He avenged his brother.

I believe #1 applies - "injury, harm, humiliation, or the like". "Humiliation or the like is", I believe, is unquestionable. Injury does not necessarily mean physical injury, so I believe the infliction of injury also applies. So, #1 is clearly in. #2 - inflicting of trouble - in. #3 - depends on the definition of revenge
VENGEANCE wrote:
1. infliction of injury, harm, humiliation, or the like, on a person by another who has been harmed by that person; violent revenge: But have you the right to vengeance?
2. an act or opportunity of inflicting such trouble: to take one's vengeance.
3. the desire for revenge: a man full of vengeance.

here's the definition of injury - simply some form of harm, so it fits. if you extend to include definitions that stipulate 'wrong', 'injustice', or 'legal action', then injury doesn't apply. But, it could apply based on #1 and isn't required under the definition of vengeance
INJURY wrote:
1. harm or damage that is done or sustained: to escape without injury.
2. a particular form or instance of harm: an injury to one's shoulder; an injury to one's pride.
3. wrong or injustice done or suffered.
4. Law. any wrong or violation of the rights, property, reputation, etc., of another for which legal action to recover damages may be made.

#1 and #2 - let's look up punishment and expiation, but it looks like it applies. #7 - yep. this one works
REVENGE wrote:
1. to exact punishment or expiation for a wrong on behalf of, esp. in a resentful or vindictive spirit: He revenged his murdered brother.
2. to take vengeance for; inflict punishment for; avenge
3. to take revenge; retaliation for injuries or wrongs; vengeance.
5. something done in vengeance.
6. the desire to revenge; vindictiveness.
7. an opportunity to retaliate or gain satisfaction.

#4 and #X - certainly apply to baiters actions against lads
(X came from one of the many definitions provided)
EXPIATION wrote:
1. The act of making satisfaction or atonement for any crime or fault; the extinguishing of guilt by suffering or penalty.
2. The means by which reparation or atonement for crimes or sins is made; an expiatory sacrifice or offering; an atonement.
3. An act by which the treats of prodigies were averted among the ancient heathen. [Obs.] --Hayward.

PUNISHMENT wrote:
1. the act of punishing.
2. the fact of being punished, as for an offense or fault.
3. a penalty inflicted for an offense, fault, etc.
4. severe handling or treatment.
X. Any pain suffering or loss

"i am pissed about all this..writing monkey mails everyday without no end, holy God."
"I am freaky worried about everything that is happening right now."

United States x4 United Kingdom
Safari Stanley: Aba>Lagos>Cotonou>Lagos>Accra "plz i am really dizzy"
Safari Stanley w/ Jayhawk+Gadget: Aba>Lagos "STREET BOYS IN LAGOS ATTACKECD ME..STOLE EVERYTHING..INCLUDING MY GUICCY SHOE"
Safari Stanley w/ Jayhawk+Gadget+Worf: Aba>Benin City
Closed lad accounts x? Mortar x6
32MBToolkit
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Why not see it a bit more general: I get dumped so many times and don't collect pictures or tattoo's. I just give them what they want; A Pen Pal Twisted Evil
That's not bad at all I thought, keeps them busy and me some entertainment on a low level. I don't really want to do it, but they keep sending me those letters in my email (not a baiting account) where they need help, so I let them explain what I should do for them and try to help them, but as I have no money at all, we usually decide that it isn't going to work Wink
It's not all black and white here Exclamation

The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@voudoujoe - what is your point of posting all of that? We have discussed this exact topic more than I can count on the hands of every member of my family and friends. It's become redundant. Very Happy

| <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135992> Official Eater T-Shirts</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028> Premium Membership</a> | ScamWarners | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413> Forum Rules</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51> Baiting Tutorials</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118738> Baiting Help</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846> FAQs</a> |

star pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Mortar x22
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm locking this because it's redundant. There been an ongoing debate about "vigilantism" going on for almost a week in this thread.

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic