SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

SP moves to Ubuntu Linux, and help question, please

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Rover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scam Patroller wrote:
@ Rover, doesn't that do the same as the Wine program that I downloaded? Oh, and if I downloaded it, would Ubuntu even let me run it without having to do this, do that, type this, type that, run terminals blah blah blah, is this the one I need?:

Not at all the same. VMware Player sets up a virtual machine on your linux box - it is not an emulator at all - you littrally have a complete Windows XP / Windows Vista or whatever you load machine running in a seperate window.

I found the installation of VMware Player - straight forward and easy.

Latest Anti Fraud News | Email Header Analysis | Help keep Eater running | Join 419Eater on Facebook Easter 2015
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scam Patroller wrote:
@ Windy, what do you mean by you ripped out phone wires, I didn't understand that bit?

I've got the same hub as you. Before I got it I had phone cables running from the phone junction box to different parts of the house so I could plug the pc in anywhere. The hub is downstairs in the hall so I'd have to put cables back in so I could connect. My phones are all wireless too.

Having the convenience of wireless was one of the main reasons I got it so I could get rid of all the wires running everywhere.

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
you littrally have a complete Windows XP / Windows Vista or whatever you load machine running in a seperate window.

@ Rover, there in lies another problem, I don't have any operating system disks apart from an old Windows 98 one, plus, as per my other reply to you, it appears you have to have 512MB RAM and upwards of an 8GB hard drive to use that virtual machine stuff, and mine is way below that on this computer at 256MB RAM and 6GB (<< of which a fair bit is already used), think I'll give it a miss anyway, mate.

For some reason, FireFox no longer works on here either now, of course, on Windows, I could uninstall FireFox with a couple of clicks, tried to get rid of it on Ubuntu, but it tells you to use Synaptic to remove it, well, I looked at all the Mozilla files in there and everything is already unticked and fireFox is not listed, just loads of other associated Mozilla stuff, nothing to untick, so more time wasted doing searches, I have had it with Linux, it will be used for surfing only, anything serious gets done on my laptop, it really is not worth the hassle.

@ Windy, cheers, now I see what you mean, can't you get long USB cables and run them under the carpet around the edge of rooms to where you usually surf from?

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^ I could but it would defeat the object of the exercise.
I don't want to do all that just so I can get Linux running.

Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I honestly couldn't be bothered with wireless. I just ran CAT5 cable to all the rooms in the house, stapled them in with a cable tacker and painted over them.

Most lines plug straight ino my router, with an uplink to the top floor and my laboratory, then downlinks to 1st floor and connections to lab computers from an 8-port switch in the lab.

i tried wireless and found it to be unstable, expensive and slow, and unreliable in my rather vertical and rather solid house. Copper wire connections ftw.

plus, no config bothers, it just works.

windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's a little program that's supposed to make installing linux Ubuntu a doddle: Long linky

It's called Wubi. I'm trying it out now.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic