SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Romance scammer? Buddy in trouble... maybe? Probably.

View next topic
View previous topic

reiijou
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Haven't seen anything about this type of scam (possibly) yet... and info?

After posting a Craigslist SINGLES ad, my buddy received word from a girl in the UK. They've chatted for a little over two weeks, and she seemed to be on the up and up i guess, but just asked if she can transfer funds to his account, but has mentioned nothing about checks, money orders etc...

Unfortunately, due to her very convincing and detailed conversations (yahoo IM) she has his real name and email, also his PHYSICAL address
(oi), myspace, and home phone >_<

I have taken over for him as a Baiter, and would like any resources anyone on this type of scam.

Grazi grazi

Reiij
Newdonym
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If there is any talk of transferring money then it is a scam. Good on you for helping a friend out like that.

Now the thing is, there is probably very little that will be done with his info, but a lot could be done. He should get a credit watch on his account and watch out for any mail that points towards someone using his info.

You should cut all the contact with the scammer using his info. If you did piss him - and it's most certainly a him - off and he's got mates who live near your friend, then it could go very badly.

Email back saying that you don't want anything more to do with her. You have found real love and don't want to jeopardize it. Then get a shiny new gmail account, or yahoo if it's YIM only and start baiting.

Now the scam itself would probably be a cheque/MO, or if he has a merchant account or dodgy credit car/paypal accounts. Whichever it is, no good would come of it for your mate.

Lastly, were there any emails at all? If not can you get her to email you at least once next time as it will have headers which can help locate which country/city she lives in.

Newdonym
reiijou
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the info, Newdonym! I did a little IM baiting and it seems that she's (he's) definitely only interested in the acct... I now have this individual's email and a UK address that she gave my bud, what should I do with this info to ensure that it doesn't happen to anyone else?

Reiij
Newdonym
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well you can't ensure anything. The details are probably fake, but you can post them here (you may want to PM a mod first to ask, sometimes they can be funny about new members posting details) and/or at our sister site http://www.scamwarners.com. Also http://www.romancescam.com/forum/portal.php might be useful for the warning aspect.

I'm off for the night, it's 01:01 and i'm getting sleepy.
reiijou
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good deal, man! Thanks again!

Reiij

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic