SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Need professional help.

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
The Gardener
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Recently got an e-mail from a website claiming they reviewed my account and suspected "unauthorized ATM-based transactions". I have never been on the site it claims to be from and don't even have an account there. It isn't identity theft because the e-mail account it was sent to was made with false details.

You probably think it is just a scammer using this site as a cover, I do to. I checked out the company and sight and they seem, I'm pretty sure they are, legitimate, the Navy Federal Credit Union. The e-mail asked me to log into my account, which doesn't exist, which I found a bit suspicious. When I clicked on the link sent it tried to redirect but the page failed to load and just comes up with a "problem loading page" message. The e-mail especially stuck out to me because of the use of capitals and poor grammar/spelling. I thought it best to check with more experienced people than myself rather than leave it be. Thanks.
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It sounds like a phishing email. Almost all emails that ask you to verify information on an account (usually an account you don't even have) are phishing emails. We don't really deal with those here though.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
horseman
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

it is a phishing attempt. if you are in doubt call the bank directly or better yet visit the bank in person. usually the bank will notify you by certified mail if there is a trouble with the account.it will NOT use the computer. if in doubt call the bank directly and ask. also most websites that provide email ( www.yahoo.com www.excite.com www.msn.com) will NEVER ask for your password or PIN number by phone or by email

best wishes.
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Phishing email. Sent out in millions so by the law of averages, some will be received by people with accounts at the bank named in the email.
As the Navy Federal Credit Union is for members of the US Navy, I can't see it being that successful.
The "problem loading page" message worries me. Some phishing emails send you to a website that tries to infect your PC with malware. Never click on a link in emails like this. It will not take you to the website of the bank named in the email.
Akai Ryu
Chuck Norris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^ ^ ^ Actually it is quite successful.

The "problem loading page" just means that it's been taken offline already. Usually phishing pages are very quickly killed.

I do agree with not going to the links, though. Best not to take that chance.

aa419.org --dead a fake site today.

No, Akai, you're a wonderful bitch. --Reaper
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Akai Ryu wrote:
^ ^ ^ Actually it is quite successful.

Less so than using a major bank. I got one a while back referring to Wells Fargo Bank. Sending that to UK email addresses is pointless.
Not that spammers and phishers bother to target their emails.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic