SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Can A Baiter Save The World?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Obi-Wan Knievel
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe not, but a victory was scored for the good guys today. I stopped a potential scam dead in its tracks in reality-land. Click-click boom, bad mugu no MTCN.

Right after work, a client called me asking for help. Her older sister had been talking about adopting an African orphan who had millions, and she (knowing my hobby here) asked me to intervene because the whole thing smelled wrong. Without even changing into my red cape, I called the sister and asked if I could meet with her at my client's request.

Sure enough, this lady was ready to fall for a classic orphan scam with the trunk box full of daddy's millions. I took her to ScamWarners, where she found the scammer's intro letter. Even then, she wanted to "maybe send a couple hundred just to help this person out of her situation, even if there's no millions". Fortunately, thanks to my experience here, I was able to quote to her almost exactly what the lad wrote to her in each message. Somewhat shocked by the simplicity of it, slightly disappointed and feeling betrayed as hell, she was saved from losing that "couple hundred" to a mugu with a sob-story.

How dumb is this would-be victim? 41 years old, college educated, knows more about computers and the internet than I ever could, and has had the same corporate e-mail addy for over 10 years but had never seen that intro before. After less than an hour talking to me, she blocked the lad's address (told him to F off first, I couldn't stop her) and couldn't believe she almost fell for the whole thing. Last time she saw a scam letter, it was from the NNPC era and she hadn't thought about it since.

Can baiting save the world? Maybe not by itself, no.
Can one baiter save a potential victim? Damn right.

If it weren't for the experience and knowledge that so many have shared with me here, I might have lost this one. I was able to be somebody's hero for fifteen minutes today, and much credit goes to Eater and our sister site. Call me an egotist, but I'm feeling pretty damn cool today.
thomas-the-tank
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

And so you should feel proud of yourself. Who knows, the ex-wannabee-victim may save someone else in turn, and so on.

It still amazes me that there are people who will fall for this kind of thing, and intelligent educated people at that. Hearts bigger than their heads, maybe? Of course in some cases it's the old fatal stupid-greedy combination that causes the missteps (and happily that's true of many lads, too).

"I have come to learn the world is pregnant."
"Besides i am on a GLOBAL ASSIGNMENT WITH THE UN, so be reasonable and leave insults"
"suck your blood untill you resemble stockfish"

United Kingdom x 3 x 2 Ivory Coast Australia x 2 Benin
Safari Wole A x 4!! :
pony pony pony pony Goat <= don't ask about the goat! Inventor
PRS Girly Girl
Will Post for Food

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Obi, you have every right to feel "pretty damn cool" today and until noon tomorrow. To me you're pretty damn cool every day. Way to go! clapping

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

Mortar x3
Pith Helmet Banjul, The Gambia to Dakar, Senegal and back. 0usman C4mar4
Solrax
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Two men were walking toward each other on an otherwise deserted beach. One man was in his early 20s, the other obviously much older. The smooth damp sand was littered with starfish, washed onto the land during high tide. They were stranded there when the tide ebbed. Thousands of starfish were doomed to die in the warm morning sun.
The younger man watched the older man pick up starfish one at a time and toss them back into the ocean, giving them a chance to survive. The young man thought, “Why is he doing that? How foolish. He can’t save them all.”
As they came near one another, the younger one felt compelled to point out to the older man the futility in his action. “You know,” he said, “you can’t save them all. Most of them will die here on the sand. What you are doing really won’t make any difference.” The older man studied the young man for a moment. Then he bent down, picked up a starfish and tossed it into the water. He smiled at the young man and said, “It made a difference to that one.” Then he walked on, picking up starfish and tossing them back into the sea.

Don't know who the author of this poem is, but it reminds me of what you've done!

Congratulations! Very Happy
irishemigrant
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Obi, well done, open that bottle, take a long drink, hell, splurge out and have a burrito as well,

Well done and I wish there was an icon that could be used for what you did.

It's good to see you all cheerful again as well

Take care

http://www.scamwarners.com/ For when you want to remember why we bait

Goodbye Mike (Paranoid) Friend, confidant, partner. Till we meet again.
Personal Message From The Axeman
Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Awesome job, Obi. That's what makes all this "nonsense" worthwhile.

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
Jen Derbender
flabbergasted

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dancing Banana happy crowd Dancing Banana

You are to be congratulated, Obi-Wan. Very well done.

Maybe a life preserver icon would be appropriate for this sort of achievement?

FUCK? FUCK AND FUCK YOU. YOUR NOTHING BUT SHIT OKEY, ARE YOU ARE OFF BACK TO SENDER... YOUR ARE A BIG RAT OKEY FUCK YOUR SELF UP AND WHOM EVER THAT SUPPORT YOU, FOOL FUCK YOUR MOTHER WITH NO SPAM, RAT. - Kaosiso Chukwu

"Folken sheet like you.Beach,your mother and your house maid are folken themselves... Folk your folks... you comes when you are been fingered which makes you an idiot of sex luncering.You will never understand that english because it is not made for people like you." - Insane Idiot

Does your lad have too much time and phone credits on his hands? Have him call the Integrated Customer Service Call Centre at +1 206 905 9742! Dissatisfaction guaranteed!

United Kingdom x2 China Nigeria United States Ivory Coast x2 Closed lad accounts x?
Sir Cumfrence
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nicely done Obi-Wan.

Last edited by Sir Cumfrence on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice work OWK.

Your friend will recover from the feelings of disappointment and betrayal a whole lot quicker than she would the loss of ten or twenty grand.

A timely reminder that lads are more than happy to exploit a potential victim's good nature, or any other emotion they can twist to their own rotten end.

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
FrumpyBB
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good work, OxygenDeprived Thumbs up and a stunning example of how much we actually learn here Smile

Safari Dan the lotto man, ARK mugu wedding
Safari Dennis the hitman, co-bait w/ Murry Guru
Safari Zake (w/ SH, SL & Craig)
Safari x 5 Modeling Mugu Meeting, w/ mewing_ghecko & Otterfan & SSC
Safari x 2 another MMM w/ SH
Safari x 13 Later shows and trips for the benefit of M00seknuckle, incl. the 0budu Fact Finding Mission

Come to our Eater University Baiting Tutorials Hello Kitty! pony Cos you deserve it. Smile Mortar x5 Closed lad accounts x50+ Sand Timer x 4 -- T.W.A.T Goat Easter Egg 2013
Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Now I know OD's pretty cool. But I think you mean poor Obi in this case. Laughing

Great stuff, Obi Wan. Smile

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
Professor So And So
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Obi, nice work. Thanks for sharing that for everyone to see. Thumbs up Thumbs up

And yeah, OD is really cool too.

Safari - Mr. Neill - London, England - Glasgow, Scotland - "Yu are really causing confusions between us all."
Safari - William - Accra, Ghana - Maiduguri, Nigeria
Safari - Miracle - Benin - N'Djamena, Chad - "Too much mosquitoes"
Safari - Godspower - Ghana - N'Djamena, Chad
Golden Pith - Adamu - Lagos, Nigeria - Abeche, Chad (100 days in hell) - Shocked - "SAVE ME"
pony pony Pretty Rose Suitcase Mortar 17
writeon
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Great work Obi. clapping clapping

"MY FINANCE DEPARTMENT TOLD'S ME TODAY THAT THE WESTERN UNION FORM YOU SENT WAS NOT VALID AND ELUCID" - Dr Frank Johnson

THERE IS A MURDER CASE WHICH I ENGAGE MY SELF INTO TO MAKE SURE THE CLIENT IS NOT KILLED BY HANGING, BUT I THANK GOD TODAY THAT THE CLIENT SUCIDED IN GOING TO JAIL INSTEAD OF HANGING TO DEATH,THAT IS THE REASON WHY I DIDN,T GET BACK TO YOU SOON. - Mohammed Traore

PLEASE HELP ME BECAUSE AM BURNING I MEAN I AM IN BETWEEN THE DEVIL AND THE RED SEA PLEASE. - Ruth
Jimmy Jazz
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well done indeed Obi - I'd be feeling pretty damn proud too. Razz

But, as Obi said in the original post, if it wasn't for the sharing of experience and resources in this not-so-little community, this incident may not have been prevented.

So again, well done Obi - but well done to everyone who has taken the time to help out in all facets. clapping

Jeez, I'm getting soft.........

I like you because I can sense some kind of strictness in you which reassures me that you are a straigth forward person - M@mudu U5m@n

"I must tell you that you must be one of these internet bugs parasites" - An ongoing lad.

ASSHOL, EAT YOUR DEFICATE., USELESS SOON OF BITCH, POLICT TOILET AND A MISSRABLE ONDIGAR BORN TO BE FAUSTRATED FOR LIFE THAT IS WHAT YOUR ARE.OK - Barrister D0ugla5 Clarl3

pony Closed lad accounts x 4
smartbomb
** Retired **

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good job Obi Thumbs up

Ivory Coast x8 United Kingdom x49 Spain x5 Nigeria x6 United States x3 Switzerland Netherlands x3 Turkey Estonian Flag x10 Malaysia x4 Ukraine Denmark Ghana x2 Russia Indonesia Thailand Germany France x2 Benin x4 Togo United Arab Emirates South Africa x2 Australia Canada Iraq Flag China United Nations
pony Mortar x7 Closed lad accounts a few
Click Here for Free Wigs !

i am no more a baby for going through this kind of stress for 200 pounds. : Hammed - Another satisfied MT7N S3cur3 customer.
l will never lose my leg in Jesus name.......ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeen l can see that you are totally MAD, FUCK YOU TOO!!!!! : Mr Yusuf
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Awesome job Obi! Wink

That happened to a couple that I know about 5 years ago. Sad

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
Tricia
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is why you should inform your friends about your baiting.* Even if they don't approve of your hobby, they can and will come to you for advice. Networking can do wonders.
Way to go, Obi! jump_4_joy

* Use your own judgment, though.

LaBrea
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Great job, Obi!

You shouldn't be too modest about this- you took the initiative to meet with your client's sister, where a lot of people may have just made a phone call due to schedules, etc.
Your client and her sister know they have a friend.

Toast yourself all week, you've earned it!

"Sir I sworn an oath as a legal luminary to defend your cause in all ramification from the armpit of the law" - Barr. W4k4r4 Iss4c
pony pony pony Mortar x6 Closed lad accounts x25
Click here to help your lad miss his scam quota
Donato
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Congrats on using the force Obi... Very Happy

pony Closed lad accounts - lots

<i><b>Free Pastor Frank!!!</b></i>
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nicely done Obi! clapping clapping

"I knew rigth from the first time you sent email to me that,you are a bloody *DELETED*" - Sgt Daniel Vess
"I NO BLAME U NA DI DIRTY TOTO WEN BORN U NA IM I BLAME. CATBINGO" - Lee Wong
"I AM EQUAL TO A MENTAL RETARDED PERSON" - Alvan Ben
"You have pushed me to the wall and i will make you smell yourself i bet." - George Martins
"THE FOOL STOLE YOUR US$755, HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO LEAVE ON THE PLANET" - Jim Ovia

pony pony - for a perfect brown nosing job. Wink

pony Mortar x4
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
Murry Guru
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very nice Obi, you have every right to be proud for saving this person so have an extra drink or 2 on me.

without stealing your thunder a similiar thing happened to me once, a friend of mine was about to become a victim of a romance lad, finding this place last year saved him from losing any money, recently, knowing that I now bait these low lifes he decided to have me check out his latest love interest.

Her name was Olga and she was from Russia, she is very attractive and wants to come here to live with him, he had spoken on the phone so he knew 99% for sure she was real.

Of course it wasn't real, I had saved him again.

It's nice when you can chop a lads real dollar, shame there is no icon for you, perhaps we can lobby to get you a pink pony Laughing

Edit, I can see you already have 2 pink ponies and sadly I have none, ahh, it one less lad payday, some mod get Obi an icon he deserves it Laughing

Got info on a scam vic? PM a mod Recieved a scam warning? Say "thank you, I am a baiter"
Ruin your pets day, post their details at scamwarners
Nurse Nastys Audi TT <- I run like a girl
Mortar x12 Closed lad accounts ? not enough Twisted Evil
Goat Goat <- this one belongs to Ralph.
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very nice, Obi. Very Happy

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Obi-Wan Knievel
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanky folks!

Actually it should be pointed out that loss prevention is part of what I do for a living, and I do this sort of thing quite often. The reason I posted it in here is sort of to verify what the "average victim" looks like in reality-land.

As for my icon for this sort of thing, I got a great idea: The manly butt! That can be the icon for taking what was learned at Eater and using it in real life. Very Happy
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Force is strong with this one. Great going OWK.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
YeaWhatever
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice save!

Safari<i>"i have arrive safe in namibia"</i> - Tony Kalabi - The Road to the Skeleton Coast
Safari<i>"he is in aswan"</i> - Larry Ken - The Road to Abu Sunbul
Safari The Road to the Hot Zone</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89779" target="_blank"> The Making of a TWAT</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100535" target="_blank"> The Second Coming of TWAT</a>
Golden Pith Mortar x17
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic