SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Dial up.

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strongside
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Do you remember the days of dial up when it would take two minutes for a picture to load Laughing. Glad I have broadband now Cool

You claim to be pure and never indulged in Juju, we shall see soon who will come beging for forgiveness, I cast you into the deapest hell and that is where you belong you Lunatic Monkey - Dr. James Carter

DIE NOW DIE NOW DIE NOW WITH YOUR WHOLE FAMILY USELESS MAN - Thambora Vwuku

what is ur problem u what do you do in life? pease dont worry me again otherwise u will die i wil reprot this mails to my boss. You are warned - Tony Kovan
ronco
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When I was first online, 1992 in my first semester in college, I would stop by the library first to pick up a book. Our library had computers but not ones that had true internet access.

I would take that book to one of the two computer labs on campus, so I had something to do between page loads. Now I get annoyed if it takes a second or two to load.

"JUST COME OUT STRAIGHT AND STOP BEATING BY THE BUSH, I KNOW $8000 IS A LOT OF MONEY" - Kelly-The famous zebra scammer Easter Egg 2012
sheboppe
The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I remember those days. In the late 80's, early 90's I had a dial-up connection with a 300 bps modem. That was fast! Along cane the 1200 bps modem, and the 300 was too slow. Through the years, modems continued to improve along with speed, 2400 bps, 9600 bps, 14.4k bps, 28.8k bps, then 56k bps. I had every one of those. After broadband became available in my area and I made the switch, dial-up was painful to use because it's so slow. Listening to the pages creak as they load wasn't fun.

I used to use dial-up when I was traveling. That need no longer exists since the majority of the motel and hotel have wireless access.

| <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135992> Official Eater T-Shirts</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028> Premium Membership</a> | ScamWarners | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413> Forum Rules</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51> Baiting Tutorials</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118738> Baiting Help</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846> FAQs</a> |

star pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Mortar x22
Stoker Thompson
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I played around on a lot of ANSI BBS's, at one point. Spent way to much time learning to edit and tweak an Init string for modems too. Doing web pages back then Front page 98 had a neat feature that let you see how long it would take to DL the page at Dial Up speeds. As long as all of the sites were set up for low bandwidth things were pretty fast.

Interestingly enough I still have corporate clients who use Dial Up to access the work server. It's still considered much more secure.
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

God, I had dial up.... as I am such a technical muggins, I was paying for it by the minute too. It was pretty much the only choice you had at the time in the UK. You had to unplug your phone to plug in your modem link too, so if you were on the internet, no bugger could call you.

And then after that, the internet services that did broadband actually made it a selling point that the internet was "always on" and that you could recieve a phone call at the same time. Wowee!

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris
sheboppe
The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Stoker Thompson wrote:
I played around on a lot of ANSI BBS's, at one point.

So did I. I ran an ANSI and RIP BBS from 1994-1998. I started out with TriBBS, then switched to Wildcat software. I drew my own ansi screens with TheDraw. I had two nodes at 28.8, and close to 300 callers per day. I had all of the fun door games like LORD and LORD II, Trade Wars, Planets, Lunatix, Usurper, and about 60 others including card games, slots, and misc. games. I was also a beta tester for Seth Able Robinson. I had several gigs of files online for download. The messaging system was extremely busy with local users, and I was also a part of FidoNet and EchoNet so I carried several other nets as well.

Those were the good old days. Very Happy

| <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135992> Official Eater T-Shirts</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028> Premium Membership</a> | ScamWarners | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413> Forum Rules</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51> Baiting Tutorials</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118738> Baiting Help</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846> FAQs</a> |

ShadowBeastie
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Eh gad! I hated dial up! I will never go back! I love my laptop with wireless, it's sooo nice!

AND Who the hell do you call your boss. Is your boss Idleness?--kelly notsobriete

yes i mating pair. ok. you will have to pay me $3500 when you receive them.
AND you are a thief. you are not in USA. please send me your number to call then i will happily call the airport to proceed with the shipping.--Hey Jude
Cameroon is not in Ireland. i am not a snake piss seller
AND i have very healthy ship that i will be shipping them to you ok.-- Mac Ferdy
Stoker Thompson
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Sheboppe
I remember wildcat. I had a copy on 5.25 floppy disks! I think I set it up on a 386 or similar.

Remember this one:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BBS User from Hell!

THE HISTORY OF THE BBS USER

A Musical Drama in -V- parts

PART I

Dear SysOp:

I am a new uzer. I am ate yearz old and I have just gotten my first modem. I like to download lotsa files as long as you don't hafta upload in return. Pleez give me access on your bord.

Joe Blow.

Dear Joe:

I have given you minimal access in the kiddie file and message areas. We suggest that you learn to spell and learn your proper place in this community before attempting higher levels of access.

SysOp

Dear SysOp:

I kant figure out how to D/L [note user's discovery of BBS abbreviations]. I have tried to use XModem with no sucsess, and then I tried ZModem and everything went kablooie. Please help me so that I can download your good filez.

Joe Blow.

Dear Joe:

You're an idiot, but we like you. We think you have potential. I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to teach you how to use the file section, but you're going to learn to use it by UPLOADING [imagine teary-eyed face cringed with fear at this prospect]. Next time you log on, page me to chat and I'll show you how to upload a file.

The SysOp

Dear SysOp:

Okay.

Joe Blow

[ Transcript of first chat with SysOp follows ]

Select [M, F, E, C, P, G]: P

Paging your SysOp! . . . . . . .

The SysOp is here!

Hello, Joe!

NO CARRIER [ Joe hangs up, torn with fear ]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the rest is over at: http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/95q1/bbsuserhell.html
Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was on a dial up until the end of last year.

I remember calling the phone company to get DSL only to be told it wasn't available in my area but would be in a few months. That was in 1999 I believe and it still isn't available.

A few years later I tried to get cable but they said I would have to get it for my TV as well and I didn't want to give up direct TV. Then I could get D-way but they wanted to charge me $99.99 a month plus installation even though I already was using them for my TV. So then I gave up Sad

About a year ago Roadrunner became available in my area but I didn't even bother to call because thought they would want to take over my TV service too. My internet connection was pretty useless. Youtube or anything like that was out of the question. If I had to load something larger then a few MB I would have to start then go watch a movie or something (go watch my stupid direct TV Laughing). I finally called roadrunner and found out they would just provide me with internet service Very Happy

The upside is after being on a dial up for soooo long cable seems extremely fast but still I have to remind myself that it's okay to click on the youtube link.

My condolences to anyone still on a dial up.

Sand Timer 8/11/07-12/15/08 i am totally a looser -Bruce The trophy machine

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
sheboppe
The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Stoker - My copy came directly from Mustang Software on the 3.5 floppies. I still have the original software in the original box, and all Wildcat upgrades through 4.11 I believe. I started the BBS on a 386. It was running on a 486 when I shut it down.

I remember the THE HISTORY OF THE BBS USER. I had some like that, and a couple of locals that thought that it would be funny to upload a "game" that they wanted me to check out. It was a virus designed to destroy my BBS. It didn't work because I wrote a script to do nightly backups, and a back up of the backups. I knew that these kids weren't writing games and I simply deleted their upload.

I hung out on BBS's all over the US as well. I made a lot of friends through being a SysOp, and I met a lot of really great people. I used to chat with Jim Davis (Garfield) on his BBS, Programmer's Lair late nights. He has a lot of BBS software out that he wrote, and he was coding at those hours. We had some pretty interesting chats. I always looked on his BBS when I needed programming stuff.

Last edited by sheboppe on Mon May 26, 2008 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There is something beyond dial-up?

I live in a place that charges extra for just phone service because we are so far away from their Central Office. Shocked Yup, it costs $5.00 more per month here than in town.*

No such thing as "cable" here either.

I joke that we get better service with a tin can and string.

*Do you think it is strange that I pay my phone bill by WU? Shocked Laughing Seems like a scam to me, but not much other choice. Crying or Very sad

I have even seen the 8" floppy disks. Wish I had a couple because people don't believe that they existed. (I am not IT, so don't dazzle me, I am just old and tried to stay up with technology at one time.)

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
Ginch
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My WWW baptism occured in 1996, via WebTV Rolling Eyes 28 kbps of severely truncated "information superhighway". My 1st PC came a year later & I didn't ditch dialup until mid-2006 or so. P2P'd nearly all the music I'd ever wanted the hard way - before switching to cable!

Account closed at users request

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I remember back in 97 buying a 14.4k USR external modem for £10, then using a Compuserve coverdisk off a magazine and a made up CC number to get a free trial for a few days until they spotted the CC number didn't work and cut me off. Interestingly enough, 5 minutes after I signed up I got my first phishing email claiming to be from Compuserve. Broadband came to the village about 3 years ago, and I've never looked back since.

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Do you remember the days of dial up...

Remember them? They're still here. Hardly a day goes by where I don't curse my dial-up internet connection, but the only other option in this area is satellite broadband and that's still horrendously expensive here.

"FUCK YOU REVEREND CIGAR" [Fred Taylor] Hello Kitty!

"Hello Friend Rev Bondi Cigars, greetings in the name of Jesus Christ......I have some money now with me so that we can proceeds with the cleansing process......." [Reverend Michael]

"Father Bondi you said I should use explosive to open the safe......." [Reverend Michael again]

"Rev Bondi Cigars now see what you have cost for me , i will never forgive you!!!!!!!" [and again]
Dott. Giascopato
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hm .. those days you had to call the number on the phone, put the receiver on a dockin station and on it went. Is it that you are talking about?

Akustikkoppler those were called in German....

Some from: South Africa Netherlands United Kingdom Nigeria Switzerland United States Ivory Coast Indonesia Spain Germany Luxembourg Cayman Islands Bahamas, The Ghana Senegal Malaysia Togo Iraq Flag Mauritius Flag Mortar x7

Failure to complies with this order require a severe act by the mets and
purnishment by law. (The Metropolitan Police)

fork off.. ([email protected])
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Downloading pron on a 9600 baud modem was no fun at all....

But seriously, Rolling Eyes at one point, both daughters were connecting to the net from different pc's for 'homework' research, chatting to friends etc. Then I'd log on to Tesco's to order the shopping & everything would grind to a halt. Broadband was definately the best thing to hit our area.

Closed lad accounts x2

"you have luke worm in your brain" - Ekaetta Bello
"invite me to your country and let me clearify your legitimacy asshole" - Mose5 Uzem3
"the transfer was not authorized due to my persistent double mind" - Clement Wank
"this is not the time to play planks" - Mack Anthony

WIFI PDA - post while you dump
SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[FREE LAPHROAIG]</a>
midnitedriver
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i had dial up untill about 3 years ago {im cheap i supose} but evry time it rained, my conection speed would drop to like 19200kpps. i finaly fired the phone company, and got cable. it was grate, then i fired the cable company and got dsl. I like firing people for bad service Very Happy it's fun

"Actully my marriage is arranged by my parents,And my wife is my cousin.She is completely illetrate"
packman
Elite Baiter

Location: In his own little world but it's ok, they know him there.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In the mid 90's I got my first "puter" 286sx 25mhz. with a 1200 baud modem, I paid 1200 bucks for it used and when I went on line for the first time I was one for 20 hours straight, back then for 19.95 you got 20 free. after my first month my prodigy bill was $351.00 and I went out and bought a new modem 56k but still I only got 14.4 but what a improvment.

The receipt you send is totally invisible ok-Kelly

FUCK YOU SMALL BOI YOU ARE POOR IN HEAD AND SOUL
AND GOD WILL PUNISH YOU FOR SCAMMING HOUNST MEN LIKE ME.. Segun Akintemi
Click here to support 419Eater.com
pony <-- I got a pony WAHOO Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x3
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Click Laughing

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ahh the memories, from a Commodore 64 to a new 386 with 8megs of ram ,25 megahertz turbo and a 28.8 modem.How my friends turned green with envy.Loved the sound as the modem hooked up.Funny part was that the old 386 died a very bad death while my wife sold the still working commodore and the external floppydisk reader on Ebay for $150.00.
doc holliday
Squirrels Hate Me

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah yes,the Commodore64,with a plug in 300 baud modem.You can literally read that fast.When I finally got a 286 based PC with a 1200 baud modem,I thought what could ever be faster than this!

You have given me enough stress through the shit you sent to me
Jack the hitlad

What you sent to me is not real, don't you fucking understand simple english, that is not real slip from money gram, I have been using money gram before now, FUCK YOU. IDIOT. PLAY YOUR GAME WELL. MASTER OF ALL PLAYERS
Jack,the hitlad who keeps giving me fresh sig lines

Closed lad accounts x35 x2 Easter Egg 2012
Strongside
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I loved the comodore 64 compare that with todays games
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMP8OSWGcss

You claim to be pure and never indulged in Juju, we shall see soon who will come beging for forgiveness, I cast you into the deapest hell and that is where you belong you Lunatic Monkey - Dr. James Carter

DIE NOW DIE NOW DIE NOW WITH YOUR WHOLE FAMILY USELESS MAN - Thambora Vwuku

what is ur problem u what do you do in life? pease dont worry me again otherwise u will die i wil reprot this mails to my boss. You are warned - Tony Kovan
doc holliday
Squirrels Hate Me

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Man,somewhere in the catacombs I think I still have a functional C128-now I gotta see if I can find it!

You have given me enough stress through the shit you sent to me
Jack the hitlad

What you sent to me is not real, don't you fucking understand simple english, that is not real slip from money gram, I have been using money gram before now, FUCK YOU. IDIOT. PLAY YOUR GAME WELL. MASTER OF ALL PLAYERS
Jack,the hitlad who keeps giving me fresh sig lines

Closed lad accounts x35 x2 Easter Egg 2012
dbest03
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ ParaNoid - you aren't alone. I remember using 8" floppies when I used to work in a typing pool many decades ago.

Sand Timer x1

I may be retarded for at the moment, but it won't take long before i bounce back to action - Mado Christopher Jr

MY YOU HAVE TO BE SERIOUSE ON WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND STOP ALL THIS YOUR BLABS OK - CHARLES C. SOLUDO
Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

8" floppies .. I have used those at work also for making daily backups of the mail registration system of my employer at the time. It took 12 floppies to make that backup, manual switching to the next one in the set. Total size: about 6 MB. I believe it took about an hour to complete Laughing.

Started out with the Commodore vic20 (?), followed by the C64 as well .. Actually a C128 in C64 mode. First PC (286 AT) had a state of the art built in 28k8 modem. When ADSL came available here (about 8 years ago) I signed up right away. 256kB/s at first, upgraded by the ISP in several steps to 20Mb today. Besides that I've got a cable broadband connection as a backup now.

omg, I'm getting old .. Wink

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Yes we can! (with a bit of help)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic