SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Fake charity collections.

View next topic
View previous topic

wayne
Account closed at users request

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe it should be "fake" charity or fake "charity"? Anyway, looking through the local paper last night was this article, censored not to give away my location

Today I look in my letter box and find this flyer.

The article explains everything. There's nothing more I need to say really, except to remind people that not everything is as it seems - including charity donation requests.

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They have dropped off dubious looking leaflets about clothes collections here as well. I haven't saved any of them unfortunately because they go straight in the trash.

I think there was something either in The Guardian or on Watchdog not too long ago about the fake charities.

"I 4LH4JI 4N4NE C0MP0A0REU THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF F1RST B4NK OF 4FRIKA B.O.A HAVE JUST FINISHED READING THIS YOUR SECOND MAIL AFTER YOU INSAULTED ME WITH YOUR FORMAL MESSAGE." - 4lh4ji C0mp0a0reu director B4nk of 4frica

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY 50 DOLLARS????ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING OR DO THINK THAT YOU ARE SELLING FOOD ITEMS IN THE MARKET OR DO YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE DEALING WITH A PERSONAL BANK." - 4lh4ji C0mp0a0reu director B4nk of 4frica
Newdonym
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I remember these from a while ago. After a report on it, the leaflets started saying how they created jobs and provided cheap clothes for the country.

All crap if you ask me.
maggiemay
Adamu's soulmate

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Interesting. I had sorted a large bag of new/nearly new clothes and was waiting for a genuine charity flyer so that I could leave them out to be collected. On an almost weekly basis we get these flyers that imply their work is charitable whilst of course it is not - similar stuff to the one Wayne posted
Anyway after waiting a couple of weeks a "real" charity flier came through the door- I know a lot about charities and nothing about this rang true - i.e the charity contact number was a mobile and when I called it was no longer available, the leaflet was littered with typos etc Being suspicious I went on the Charity Commission website and the charity was registered BUT had never filed its returns, it is a requirement that they be filed annually. Also the charities objectives were totally different from the cause they claimed to be collecting for.....so I took my bag of clothes direct to the local charity shop

You can be of great assistance to helping this little wads realize their hope for tomorrow,

pony pony
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>
Nanny Ogg
"Bruce"

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Take your clothes to a local charity shop would be my advice.

We had a spate of these leaflets. Luckily i have a part Ukrainian friends who looked into it all and fond it to be a money making scheme

we also had a caller round our door collecting for" the kiddies hospital" . I was a bit suspicious, mainly as he seemed drunk and we've also had a council ban on cold callers in our area
I asked him a few simple questions (like the address of the hospital , I kinda know it as i worked in the lab there) and he got really abusive.
Funny when my son ( who was treated in the local Sick Kids ) appeared our cold caller decided to go away
The fact that my son is 6ft 5 and a wee bit strong is not intimidating at all Twisted Evil

Standard Procedure
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nancy's story reminds me of this time a middle-aged lady came knocking and said that she was collecting money for "wheelchairs for disabled kids" and demanded cash.

I told her I was tight (which I was) on money, and she started whining saying that the money was for the kids, please give, if I give a five, she could give change, etc. and I kept repeating that I didn't have and bid her good day. After I closed the door, she was saying "but it's for the children."

I didn't call anyone, but I should've called the police because this woman was suspicious from the get-go. Charities here don't demand money. If you're going to make a donation, they will give you an envelope along with all this other information and you mail your donation in. I learned about this stuff only recently...

The following statement is true
The above statement is false

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic