SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Your opinion on Wikipedia

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Kabuto Sama
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been a wikipedian a year longer than a 4vier 1ein 9noin member.
I'd like to have your opinion about the accuracy of the written articles.
Very Happy Oh, I've been a contributor too.
In this article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Fistful_of_Dynamite ,
the chapters Analysis and Historical Errors are written by us, me myself and I.
Otterfan
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

"Wikipedia --- is there anything it can't be edited to know?"

"I have to sale something now to be able to drink water." -- Alice Idris on safari in Cotonou
"why did you waste my time like this why." -- US Army Captain William D Swenson
Hello Kitty! <--TS certified.

Easter Egg
Kabuto Sama
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Otterfan
FYI, I have seen attempts of vandalism but they were reversed quite fast.
And I, being interested mostly in the scientific/engineering articles, have not found major mistakes.
However, it cannot be trusted 100%. That's why I ask for the opinion of the ones I trust, I mean members of these forums.
4ohr 1ein 9noiners are proven to be balanced, intelligent and skeptics Very Happy
Ex.
Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am also a Wikipedian although I don't contribute as much as I should. TBH, I think its one of the most innovative inventions in a while. Most people who say that Wikipedia is inaccurate say that because of the fact that anyone can edit creates the POSSIBILITY of it being innaccurate, which is fine since it makes some sense, or it disagrees with something and they don't like feeling wrong, which is not fine because thats just immature. Ever notice how people always say go Wiki something till someone comes back saying that person is wrong, then all of a sudden Wikipedia is wrong and the other person is right? Most vandalism and untrue facts are usually reverted very quickly. Plus, Wikipedia is more comprehensive and expansive than most, if not all, encyclopedic databases. Vive` Le` Wiki! Death to the ignorant people who hate it on baseless accusations! If you don't like it, don't use it.

EDIT: Yes I admit Wikipedia isn't perfect as there is always a percentage of error with ANYTHING including Britannica, Encarta, etc.

JACK B QUICK YOU ARE NATURES ASHOLE DO NOT EMAIL ME ANYMORE OK - R0ger Jon3s (Right you are mate)

i much prefer s3x in the 4ss - B4rrister 0luwa

United Kingdom x28 United States x9 Nigeria Czech Republic Denmark Argentina Spain Australia Canada Benin Germany United Nations Portugal Question
Closed lad accounts x97 (Updated 02/20/09) pony pony
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It is only as accurate as the people who put the information in it. It's a useful tool, but other sources should also be checked, and it shouldn't be taken as the be all/end all.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Strongside
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am also a wikipedian its a useful tool.

You claim to be pure and never indulged in Juju, we shall see soon who will come beging for forgiveness, I cast you into the deapest hell and that is where you belong you Lunatic Monkey - Dr. James Carter

DIE NOW DIE NOW DIE NOW WITH YOUR WHOLE FAMILY USELESS MAN - Thambora Vwuku

what is ur problem u what do you do in life? pease dont worry me again otherwise u will die i wil reprot this mails to my boss. You are warned - Tony Kovan
Otterfan
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is sort of unrelated to Wikipedia specifically, but still connected to the whole "interactive web knowledge" thing that Wikipedia is the prime example of.

I'm a big fan of a certain genre of music, and I have a considerable collection of CDs. I used to contribute a lot to rateyourmusic.com (sort of like Wikipedia for music enthusiasts). I stopped after one incident in which an aspect of this "truth by internet" idea came to light.

I'd contributed a new release that I had just bought, and the cover art was waiting for approval by the moderation team.

It came back as rejected.

Huh? I'd actually taken the booklet and liner out of the CD case and scanned all the relevant bits myself, carefully cropped them to the right size. They were identical to the actual art and they were within the size limits, etc, for uploading. What was the problem?

Well... the mod team had done a search to check out my images and had only found a couple of sites (Amazon and an independent reseller) that contained the album's final artwork. Those two sites must have taken their images from the same source as, for some reason, the centimetre-wide white border that ran around the front cover had been cropped, meaning that the images on those websites was without a border. My image, I was told, had an unnecessary white border. Could I please crop the border and resubmit?

Huh again?

I wrote back and told them that the actual artwork has a white border, that it's an essential part of that artwork, there was no way I should crop it.

The reply was that they couldn't find any source to verify my submitted image, so I would have to crop the border if it was to be accepted.

At this point, I was a little bit annoyed, and in a fit of righteous "I'll show 'em , I'll show 'em good!" I laid out the CD artwork on a bench and took a picture of it, showing it clearly with the white border. I sent the photos back and said that this is the truth, the reality, I don't care what Amazon or whoever have done to their own images, this an actual picture of the artwork as purchased by me today and is sitting there on my bench with its white border as clear as day.

It was still rejected.

After which, I gave up.

It's truth-by-internet, and you can't argue against it even if you have reality on your side.

The sheer stupidity of the incident still amuses me and infuriates me in equal measure when I think about it.

"I have to sale something now to be able to drink water." -- Alice Idris on safari in Cotonou

Easter Egg
Newdonym
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Silly buggers.^

As for wiki, my uni hate it. Which means i love it.

I'm not stupid enough to actually source it, but it can give an excellent overview on many topics.
I'm in Biology, so almost all biochemical and micro molecular topics are theories which means you can find a peer reviewed source for any point of view you want.

I also sometimes use the references on the bottom of the article as a starting point for research.
Kabuto Sama
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

C'mon eaters, I KNOW many of you visit wiki from time to time.
Gimme your opinions.
With my almighty jedi sense i feel you are chickening out.
Sir Cumfrence
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wiki is a valuable source of information but ultimately it cannot be trusted in isolation. It is but one tool in a giant toolbox.
Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wikipedia is good for getting a basic understanding of the topic. But you need specific sources if you really want to get accurate and specific details.

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
Chibuike
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In the library world we shudder when people quote Wiki. When they first started out they did not make contributors quote their sources. They are getting better about that. However, as for any information you find on the internet use it as a guide. Libraries are filled with many standard resources that will give you the information you need. Unfortunately the World Wide Web has drawn people away from these resources. Yes, some of the resources are on the web but many are not. Do I recommend Wiki to patrons? NO! We have several criteria we use before we will recommend a website and Wiki just ain't there yet.

The above is my professional opinion as a librarian.

pony pony pony <--I got ponies! Wahhooo!
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've contributed to a particular article on Wiki, nothing to do with what happens here.

The subject has an English Heritage Blue Plaque at his former home in London. Sadly, they got his year of birth wrong. This also happened on a plaque on a memorial bust in my home town. A little internet research of Wiki and collaborative evidence from say his remaining family would have red flagged this mistake before the (expensive) blue plaque was cast. I pointed it out and they issued a correction on the EH website. The plaque still remains incorrect as far as I'm aware.

The moral of the story...don't believe everything you read.

[Edited for spelling]

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat

Last edited by Tommo Shanter on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm ashamed to say I rely on Wikipedia quite a lot Embarassed

I know that anyone can edit information, but why would anyone change topics on purpose to make them wrong?

If they do, they have too much time on their hands.

pony pony pony Easter Egg Goat Vcamera

Mortar x7 Closed lad accounts Thailand Canada

Safari Safari Wulugu or Bust Safari- Lagos, Nigeria to Paga, Ghana and Tokwari, Ghana X2-3800mi. "I'm leaving this bullshit area"

Safari - Accra to Cotonou - 430 miles

100% RISK FREE TRANSACTION

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
packman
Elite Baiter

Location: In his own little world but it's ok, they know him there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Other than when I ask a stoopid question IE "what is a bog?" and a eater post a wiki link to answer my question. I dont think I have ever used it. but I do see a good usefulness of it. I would not use it as my final answer but as a good source.

The receipt you send is totally invisible ok-Kelly

FUCK YOU SMALL BOI YOU ARE POOR IN HEAD AND SOUL
AND GOD WILL PUNISH YOU FOR SCAMMING HOUNST MEN LIKE ME.. Segun Akintemi
Click here to support 419Eater.com
pony <-- I got a pony WAHOO Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x3
Kabuto Sama
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have personally seen 2 vandalised articles. One about WW2, which I edited back personally, and the other about Nintendo 64 gaming console, which was replaced with some personal attack like "Gary is a fagget" Shocked
About 30 mins later the well written article was restored.
Otterfan
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

But what if Gary really is a "fagget"? This is censorship, and many people are still referencing the site as reliably unbiased! This is not the way to the truth, I tell you.

Easter Egg
Kabuto Sama
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing I know nothing about Gary, so he may be a fagget, but I don't see how his sexual preferences are relevant in an article about a gaming console.
They might be relevant in an article about homosexuals, oral/anal sex, or the sexual minorities rights and/or discrimination.
Otterfan
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

True, so perhaps you should have suggested it be moved to the right article instead of being deleted?

Easter Egg
Tricia
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm getting lazy. Back in the 90s I used to use several different search engines when I was hunting for information. These days it's just the Wikipedia article and Google's first 60 hits. My Firefox has Yahoo search box, but I've used it about 10 times since 2004.

I now realise that it's also been a while since I went to a library to research something. Google plus Amazon's user reviews give me a good enough sense whether I want to read the book or not.

remmy223
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i have only used wiki about 3 times in four years.

Confused

you are bauitfull i will show the picture to my kid

Death man walking.
Click here to support 419Eater.com
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I find it very useful, and for the most part accurate enough to suit my needs. I don't treat it with any more or less respect than anything else published on the web, but technical articles tend to be well-referenced and correct, in my experience.

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wiki is excellent for somethings as long as you remember to get a second opinion. Sure there are sometimes errors on the site but as a whole it is a very useful resource.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
BadKarma
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm too lazy to read the whole thread through. Embarassed

I haven't used the "pedia" part too much, but I think it's a really useful tool. I use a lot more wikitravel, as I want to know as much as possible about the countries I am about to visit. At least for now the information has been very accurate and useful to me.
I haven't contributed too much myself though, only once...

Safari George Annan (Accra - Benin City)
Safari Dan (Accra - Lagos)

"HIS A BIG FRAUD. THE MESSAGE HE SENT TO ME IS A NIGERIA EANGLISH , I TRUST YOU SO MUCH AND I CAN GIVE YOU MY COMPANY PASSWORD TO CHECK THE MAIL HE SENT TO US."
"Just a thought. Maybe, you can get a well paid Mod job here." -Toomuchfun

Postwhores - gotta love 'em.
Saint Arnold
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRlXZ5W8lTs

Our legal team are on standby for the next line of action in this very interesting case.already they are still studying the MTCN number that you sent,it will be used as evidence together with your full names and address,when this epic battle commences. - the one and only Charles Soludo

--------------------------
Cellphone x15 (RIP) United Kingdom x7 South Africa x1
Safari Lottery lad, Benin City - Abuja Safari A new minister, Lagos-Benin City Safari The same minister, Lagos - Tamale, Ghana
Safari Dr. Johnson - Abidjan-Abuja and back again (so far! - 1666 miles round trip)

pony <----because life can seem bleary and bleak without one. TS
pony Because Lotta is a great and beautiful mod!
Mortar x21
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic