SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

How much should I ask for?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Chibuike
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Last night as I was eating my Easter supper, water came pouring through my kitchen ceiling. The upstairs neighbors had a slight problem with their dishwasher and garbage disposal. This morning I am still doing clean up of the mess. I have to toss out all of my spices. Eeek!

I think I should be compensated by my apartment managers but not sure how much to ask for. Is asking for $150.00 off my rent too much? What do you think? Your opinions are valued.

pony pony pony <--I got ponies! Wahhooo!
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Take pictures, lots of pictures to show how bad it was. Just make a list of damaged goods and find out what the replacement value is. Throw in some emotional value and start dealing with him. The person who caused the damage that is, if the cause is bad maintenance then your landlord is responsible else the people upstairs should pay up. Hard case to prove anything if they don't want to comply, but with the pictures and your list of damaged goods you can take it to court if you want to.
A happy Easter anyway Smile

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Invite the manager over to see the damage, and let him/her tell you what they will do, THEN suggest what you think would be fair.
Breddan Butter
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Compensated for what?

If you are talking about a payment to cover the cost of repair or replacement of damaged items then just work out the actual cost.
I guess that you haven't been greatly inconvenienced and that this wasn't a major flood of biblical proportions or you would have mentioned that.

Or, guessing that you live in an area where compensation culture is the norm, you could sue for millions.

My IP address is 217.21.39.255. (86.57.134.49 on Sundays) Please don't come knocking on my door.
Professor So And So
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd say the same as BB just did, but I'd add some dough for my time spent cleaning and shopping for the new stuff. I value my time a bit too, so it can be pricey.

Safari - Mr. Neill - London, England - Glasgow, Scotland - "Yu are really causing confusions between us all."
Safari - William - Accra, Ghana - Maiduguri, Nigeria
Safari - Miracle - Benin - N'Djamena, Chad - "Too much mosquitoes"
Safari - Godspower - Ghana - N'Djamena, Chad
Golden Pith - Adamu - Lagos, Nigeria - Abeche, Chad (100 days in hell) - Shocked - "SAVE ME"
pony pony Pretty Rose Suitcase Mortar 17
chevyk10darlin
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, my apt flooded last year due to a water leak in the apt above me and everything was ruined, mattresses, chairs, table, appliances, everything! and apparently i didn't read my lease close enough and it said in there that the apt was in no way responsible for any damages incurred by water leaks/flooding, fire, etc. needless to say, i moved out... so i would check your lease before proposing they pay for something...
Ex.
Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Where's BRUIN when you need him?

JACK B QUICK YOU ARE NATURES ASHOLE DO NOT EMAIL ME ANYMORE OK - R0ger Jon3s (Right you are mate)

i much prefer s3x in the 4ss - B4rrister 0luwa

United Kingdom x28 United States x9 Nigeria Czech Republic Denmark Argentina Spain Australia Canada Benin Germany United Nations Portugal Question
Closed lad accounts x97 (Updated 02/20/09) pony pony
bearkat419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would assume the apartment manager will take care of the necessary repairs to your apartment.... so how about just turning in the cost of your damaged goods on your renter's insurance (you do have it, right)?

419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

bearkat419 wrote:
I would assume the apartment manager will take care of the necessary repairs

My wife and I were nice guys and assumed the same thing when the apartment above ours was renovated. Mini flood trashed some stuff and stained the ceiling. Plaster work in the bathroom got cracked. Uh couple of other minor things too.

Anyway it's now about two years later and the repairs have been added to my Honeydo list. Rolling Eyes

And no, we never got paid.
Chibuike
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well after spending the day with cleaning people and repair people I am exhausted to say the least. The upstairs neighbors dishwasher's pipe broke and that is why I had dirty yucky smelly brown water everywhere. Yes, I do have renter's insurance however the damages didn't reach my deductable of $250.00. So the apartment managers are going to take $200.00 off my next month's rent even though there is a clause in my lease that says they are not responsible. It seems the neighbors had reported the problem last month and the managers didn't fix the problem correctly. So after listing all my damages, clean up costs and repairs I feel satisfied with the $200.00 off my next month's rent. The upstairs neighbors got $300.00 off their rent.

pony pony pony <--I got ponies! Wahhooo!
sheboppe
The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It sounds like you have it taken care of. Taking $200 off of your rent is better than nothing. Very Happy

| <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135992> Official Eater T-Shirts</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028> Premium Membership</a> | ScamWarners | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413> Forum Rules</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51> Baiting Tutorials</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118738> Baiting Help</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846> FAQs</a> |

star pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Mortar x22
bearkat419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Stoker Thompson wrote:
And no, we never got paid.
Well obviously if the apartment manager refuses to compensate for actual damages then further action is needed. But as the OP was talking about a situation that just happened, my reply was based on the idea of giving them a chance to do the right thing before planning a lawsuit Wink

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic