SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Introductions scam in local paper

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Nelsonsbattle
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There's been a report of an introductions scam in one of our national papers. The woman received a reply from an engineer who claimed to be in Auckland, she exchanged a couple of e-mails then he went to england and on to Nigeria on business. Then she received e-mails from him saying his cheques weren't accepted and he needed help. She sent him $NZ 1300 before deciding something was fishy.

I've been in contact with the paper and they are discussing if they want me to scam this guy and report how it goes. Hope they decide this would be interesting.

May be in touch with Callum and other kiwi baiters.

"tell you die, fuck you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ooooooo" Samull the scammer on being burned
Safari (Samull's trip from Cotonou, Benin, to Lagos, Nigeria, to meet the lovely Steffy)
Mortar x3
Last Exile
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Best of lucks. I hope they give you the go ahead and also help in your baiting.

Should a nice report come out of it, we would probably have a scammer in jail and more people being aware of 419.
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Count me in if you need Kiwis

Purple Flower
Mackilt
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good luck with it fella.

Look forward to hearing all about it, if it goes ahead.

419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Got interviewed by the reporter today (last day of internet crime week). I think she got some of the ideas confused, but she sent a photographer around to my work to pose a photo of a scambaiter at work. We can't get the internet at work, so I had to jiffy up a page on word. But the urgency, i.e. getting a photographer to a site about 300 km away from the newspaper's offce, bodes well for them doing an article.

Will post progress.

Kiwi baiters, keep an eye on dompost.co.nz

"tell you die, fuck you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ooooooo" Samull the scammer on being burned
Safari (Samull's trip from Cotonou, Benin, to Lagos, Nigeria, to meet the lovely Steffy)
Mortar x3
alienara
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Minister advises people to ignore 'hitman' email

Consumer Affairs Minister Judith Tizard has warned people not to respond to unsolicited emails after learning the "hitman scam" had appeared in New Zealand.

The email scam threatened to kill the recipient unless they gave in to demands and paid thousands of dollars to a cyber extortionist, she said.

It suggested a "friend" wanted the recipient dead and had hired the writer to kill the recipient. If the recipient made contact and paid the writer, then the "contract" would be postponed or cancelled.

The recipient was told not to contact the police or tell anyone. If they did, then the writer would "extend" the threat to the recipient's family, Tizard said.

There were various versions of the scam email demanding from $1000 to more than $100,000, she said.

Versions of the email had been sent to thousands of email addresses in the United States and also in Australia. New Zealanders had also been targeted.

Tizard said overseas police were urging people to ignore the email and the advice being given here was also not to respond.

To do so invited further contact with the scammers and the possibility of escalating threats, Tizard said.

The email was a "particularly vicious" scam that had the potential to really worry people. _NZPA

was this what you were looking out for?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic