SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Which audio?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Its er inddors birthday soon and im looking to replace her broken cd mini hifi with something a little more substantial.

I was thinking cambridge audio cd/tuner/amp and bookshelf speakers but i think theres better out there any ideas ?

It must have cd, radio, and an amp of course. and no plastic stuff, price range upto around 250 per item but not too much over it.

help lol, she thinks ive forgotten so shes gonna get a surprise. (its not till march so i got to get it soon)

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
packman
Elite Baiter

Location: In his own little world but it's ok, they know him there.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

cambridge soundworks makes some awsome and reasonably priced stuff you wont go wrond there

The receipt you send is totally invisible ok-Kelly

FUCK YOU SMALL BOI YOU ARE POOR IN HEAD AND SOUL
AND GOD WILL PUNISH YOU FOR SCAMMING HOUNST MEN LIKE ME.. Segun Akintemi
Click here to support 419Eater.com
pony <-- I got a pony WAHOO Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x3
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I like B+O front end stuff being driven by Mcintosh amps.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/page.asp?id=36
http://www.mcintoshstore.com/

The B+O CD changer has black plastic on it. Maybe you don't want it. The technology is old but its claim to fame is that the labels are upright and legible when they are at rest. The amps come raw but for $15 you can get a wooden case. The entire kit will go for over your limit but its all much cheaper now. I used to spend $10 per watt per channel, just for the amps.

Four Christmas seasons ago, my boy asked me for a CD boombox. Please don't spend too much, he said. I asked if he truly needed portability. He said no. I told him, lets get a combo changer. For the cost of a high end boom box, I got a 3 CD changer that also plays MP3 data files and displays title information. Its possible to get about 100 songs on a CD so it plays 300 songs in a row. I took it apart and found a high end, fan cooled, 200 watt audio card originally intended for a computer. Since its all digital, the audio spectrum control capabilities are amazing. I ditched the plastic 2 way speakers and tried them out with 2 way JBL's but settled on some wooden 3 way JVC bookshelf speakers from a post Christmas sale. The entire setup was under $250 and it sounds just fine for a bedroom. Too much power actually.The next two years he hooked a laptop and a portable hard drive to it and played Mr. DJ at dances. For a living room or family room, I would suggest a $200 home theater in a box and add a $50 CD player. That would get you 5.1 audio, great sound but black plastic.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rotel RA04 Amp: Amp
NAD C525BEE CD player: NAD
EPOS ELS 3 Speakers: EOPS
Denon TU1800DAB-BLK Digital Tuner: Denon

I have a mate with this setup, all components are on or under �250 and your other half will love you for this as the sound is incredible, don't skimp on speaker cable whatever you do though.
There is a bit of 'plastic stuff' but you ain't going to get better for the money.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Tricia
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rodus wrote:
don't skimp on speaker cable whatever you do though

No no no! Spend your money on speakers first. A rough rule of thumb is to use about 50% of your budget on quality speakers alone. They aren't buying a �10000 system, this is a �1000 set. Any off-the-shelf cable will do its job just fine.

Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Sorry but I disagree there, a cheap (�2-�3) set of speaker cables from the local car boot will degrade the sound, I wouldn't spend under �20 here.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Interesting progression for this thread. I've misread the OP. I thought it was supposed to be under $250 tops. Now I understand it to be in pounds and per piece. Oh... I've also been rethinking my use of audio.
Lets talk about speaker cables. I was once one for larger is better. Voltage drop and all that. I have lots of EEs in the family and they all understand exactly what is in a speaker. Guess what? Its not Monster Cable. We've run AB testing with real components and real AB switches. We've used Macintosh audio analysis equipment used for sound reinforcement. We have found that wire size makes no difference and the label on the copper does not matter either. I use exact lengths of lamp cord. Its clear and the conductors are color coded for polarity. I figure if it will run 1500 watts of lights, a speaker is nothing. The cost of copper has doubled in the past two years so it is important. Just run clean lines and don't loop it and create inductive impedances. Don't believe me? Go ahead and set your system up with the copper it came with and then go out and shell out 200 pounds for copper. If you have someone else throw the AB switches, you will not be able to tell what is better.

I've got a nice CD changer but can't tell you when I last used it. It's years. Instead, I either open up my playlist on the computer or play a music DVD. The $50 DVD player will play MP3s, video files, CDs and still images but most importantly it sends it signal optically to the home theater. 5.1 audio and the higher sampling rate kicks butt over any audio CD. While I am working on something its often nice to look up and see who is playing on the flat screen. The DVD player is plastic and all I care was that it was warranted for a year. So the question is, is it form over function? Do you care about what it looks like and how much you will pay than what it sounds like.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Seven of Nine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Roll your own Wink

Admittedly a work in progress but 70W/channel into 8 ohms is likely to be enough.
The rest comes later.

D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thats certainly some kit to consider.

On the cables i normally get the high quality ones anyway, they have a better finish to them, as this is going to go in her living room it needs to look "together" as it were all items of the same brand, ive seen a marantz but still think the cambridge sounds just a little better. Yes she doesnt like computers she just wants something that fits in with her flat, so looks are very important but for sound quality i wouldnt buy her a cheap mini hifi lol, seperates it has to be Wink

Im off next week, and hopefully can see the products in richer sounds and hyperfi to see if i can get to hear them too.

She is quite fussy so wouldnt be happy with black units mixed with white ones and multibrands - so if you know of any unbranded ones then perhaps.

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Looks over sounds. OK. Go with B+O. Get looks and sounds.

packman
Elite Baiter

Location: In his own little world but it's ok, they know him there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

if you want to go seperates one word to think of, ONKYO outstanding equipment

The receipt you send is totally invisible ok-Kelly

FUCK YOU SMALL BOI YOU ARE POOR IN HEAD AND SOUL
AND GOD WILL PUNISH YOU FOR SCAMMING HOUNST MEN LIKE ME.. Segun Akintemi
Click here to support 419Eater.com
pony <-- I got a pony WAHOO Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x3
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic