SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Linux help requested

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I didn't want to clutter up JMR's Linux thread, so I created a new one. Long story short, I had Linux working fine on my PC until I swapped out my 6200 video card for my 8800GT. Now Linux won't boot normally. If I try, the screen goes black and Num Lock, Caps Lock, & Scroll Lock just blink. I tried Ivor's idea to amend menu.lst to add noapic, but that didn't work.

The one thing that "works" is to boot in recovery mode and at the command prompt type "init 5" and it boots for me. I have no idea what it is or does, I just happened to see it while surfing for answers. Obviously this is not the way I want to have to use Linux if I can help it. Any ideas are welcome.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Now that I'm an expert.... Wink

I looked into this issue quite a bit before I installed. There seems to be two schools of thought that I found in the forums:

1) Disable the 3-D imaging;

2) Download the latest driver from Nvidia, which in your case may be this one: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106661

EDIT: Fixed URL

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3

Last edited by JMRazor on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Unfortunately you changed the video board without changing the drivers so the existing drivers wouldn't let the xserver start.

I have never tried to change a video board but I suggest you boot into the command line. There are other ways to boot into the command line, your way is fine although I think 'init 3' is the correct one. (I had some other instruction but decided not to do those.)

Go into the command line and type 'startx'. It will try to boot the xserver. If you get errors and no screen, tell us the errors you get if possible. In the worst case you can begin to learn to use 'vim' to edit the xorg.conf' file to change your drivers to the vesa drivers, which should at least get you back into the xserver.

You can get the correct drivers if you don't have them. You need to know where to put them. And how to load the into the xserver.

If you want to go this route. Cut/Paste your xorg.conf file here.

Added:
It looks like you use GRUB as the boot manager, so to boot to the command line; when the GRUB screen displays press the up arrow or down arrow to the kernel you use or if you don't know what that means just press 'e'. If you know what that means, after selecting the kernel press 'e'. Then press 'e' again. add a space and '3' to the end of the line and press enter. Then press 'b' to boot with that command. You will boot to the command line without the xserver.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OxygenDeprived wrote:
I have no idea what it is or does
Here you go: http://www.networkclue.com/os/Linux/run-levels.aspx

I have no idea why init 5 works and a normal boot doesn't, but as the others have said you need to set your video drivers back to the basic ones (safe,) or go straight to the new ones (a bit more risky.)

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the info and ideas to try. I'm at work now and will try this when I get home. I am used to a windows environment where you can swap video cards, boot up, then change drivers.

EDIT: JM, can you repost the link, I get an error that says:
Quote:
No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

EDIT 2: Just thinking, if I can use that "init 5" command to reach the desktop, can I just uninstall the nvidia drivers and reinstall them to get it to work? If so, how do I do that?

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I love 1/2 days! Very Happy

Ok DrWho, I tried the startx at the command line (used recovery boot option) and it then went to a screen that had a message box
Quote:
This session is running as a privileged user...

It will then go to the desktop, but I have internet or anything.

I am now logged in using the "init 3" command, seems to allow me on just as the "init 5".

I tried the Grub commands by adding '3', but that just led to the same 3 keyboard lights blinking and a black screen.

I assume I need to find a way to uninstall the current nvidia drivers and install the latest ones. This is where I like windows, where I know where that stuff is. Confused

Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
ugumaru
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Did you try "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"?

Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone

OOOOOOOOOOO
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nope, "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" didn't do it either. I did take out my 8800GT and put my 6200 back in and it boots up just fine, so I assume it's a matter of uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. Confused

Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Try reading this and see if it helps you. I assume your are using Ubuntu. The next step would be to open the xorg.cong file and change the driver reference.
FYI
if you type "cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf" you will see the file. You should find a section that looks like this
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "device1"
    VendorName "Intel Corp."
    BoardName "Intel 845"
    Driver "i810"
    Option "DPMS"
EndSection
What you want to change is the Driver line. If you don't see 'Driver "nvidia"'
Type "cd /lib/modules/" then "ls". There will be a list directories. You should only have one that looks like '2.6.12-12mdk' sort of. "cd" to that directory, then "cd kernel/drivers/video". Again type "ls". You will see the driver directories. If you have a directory nvidia, "cd nvidia" and you will see the driver. This where you need to put the new driver. It will have a *.ko.gz extension probably.

If you want to try something; rename that driver with "mv drivername drivername.save". and try startx again. With no driver it may default and ask you what to do. Either way you will need the correct driver.

There is a way to configure the video from the command line. I will try to find it.

Try this:
at the command line run 'xorgconfig' or 'xf86config' to re-configure the X System. You should have have one of those but not for sure. Of course this will only work if you have the correct drivers but it may be in the kernel but just not loaded.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic