SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Today (or tomorrow) I take the Linux plunge....

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@JM, are you getting "APIC" errors when trying to boot w/ the Nvidia 8 series card? That is what I get. Crying or Very sad My bios has no option to turn it off and I can't seem to find anything that will make it work. I'm hoping that the next version Hardy Heron will work w/ 8 series cards.

I have used puppy linux in the past and like it, I'll have to try Slap's recommendation too and see how it works on mine.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No, the only error I get is when Grub is loading at Stage 1.5, then it says "Error 2" and that's it.

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@JMR

certainly seems to a problem at a pretty basic level when your HDD's aren't detected during POST.

Its a real bummer that its happened at this time as it may colour your whole Linux experience!

Dr Who seems to suggest that Mandriva supports your video card " out of the box". Maybe you can download that distro and give it a go ( or Puppy at 100megs all in! Cool)

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I suppose trying another distro may solve the issue of hardware vs. OS, that is if the other should work.

I don't know if my BIOS is not recognizing the HDs because it's in a RAID array, and therefore, won't view them the traditional way....

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@JMR - you may have hit the nail on the head...RAID might cause the problem??? Just for kicks and giggles, remove the raid card, connect the hard drives direct to motherboard. Then, set one to MASTER, the other to SLAVE. Don't use cable select..force it to use the settings you want.
Raid complicates things, and doesn't do all that much for speed, unless you are using it for a server, or heavey duty into games and absolute top framerates. Let us know how that works out. Does the Bios see the drives, now?

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Interesting. I probably shouldn't have bothered with RAID in the first place, but I couldn't resist. Wink

Good idea. I'm going to open it up anyway to see if anything got knocked loose in delivery...

I'm giving it 2 more days of trying then I'm shipping the *$&@@* thing back!

EDIT: On second look, I think my motherboard has the RAID built in, so I'll have to do it from BIOS, which according to my manual I can disable.

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ok, JMR. I had some problem with a friend's Raid setup for the second time (his kids and wife used to love to click on all those popups, and he had no firewall running for months, so needless to say the array was trashed, to the point of seriously corrupting one disk so that I could not use it anymore) so I ditched his RAID setup, and told him it was only complicating things. He wasn't any serious gamer, or running a webserver, just surfing the web and playing a few games. He never made any backups or images of his disks or files, either. RAID was ridiculous for him, so I trashed it. It sure made it easier to setup, too.

If after you connect both drives to one SATA channel and both DVD/CDR drives to the other channel, and your flavor of linux will not boot, try Puppy Linux here: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxMainPage
Have the drives been formatted for use, yet? Puppy will run from the cd live and load everything in RAM in under 256MB, and allow you to format your drives before you install to harddrive, if that is the way you want to set it up. Good luck! Very Happy

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Safari Issac to Chad
Stoker Thompson
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ditch the Raid.

I went through a few Distro's before the hardware in my current laptop was recognized without to much tweaking.

Fedora 8 worked best for me on this machine. Give the live CD a try.
rootuser
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

RAID actually shouldn't be a problem for modern distro. Even my little distro can handle RAID, and it's far from being something for "normal users".

The RAID provided by budget RAID-controllers, or onboard RAID-controllers, sometimes are called Fake-RAID, basically because they let the user think it's Hardware-RAID, but it actually isn't, the RAID-operations still are done by the software, that's why you need a driver for this. You might call this Hardware-supported-RAID, but I don't think it really fits too.
A real Hardware-RAID is completely transparent to the OS, it won't notice at all that the device it's working with is made up of more than one disk. No drivers necessary.

Linux handles Fake-RAID through the Device-Mapper, which also is used for a great technology called LVM, the Logical Volume Manager. I actually prefer LVM over RAID, except maybe a true Hardware-RAID, because it's a lot more flexible than a RAID is.

But all that's just a little side-note...

"This is what i sent to them am not with any money to go back to nigeria pls help."

United Kingdom (0.25 go to fake_buster)

Safari x4 Wole A.: Akure, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, Akure, Nigeria to Tanguieta, Benin (both with Thomas-the-Tank and Simba), Akure, Nigeria to Kano, Nigeria (with TtT and OD), Akure, Nigeria to Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire (with TtT)

Mortar

pony pony
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerSkype Name
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OxygenDeprived wrote:
@JM, are you getting "APIC" errors when trying to boot w/ the Nvidia 8 series card? That is what I get. Crying or Very sad My bios has no option to turn it off and I can't seem to find anything that will make it work. I'm hoping that the next version Hardy Heron will work w/ 8 series cards.
Have tried editing your GRUB boot options to boot without APIC? To do this, simply open /boot/grub/menu.lst as root, (if you can't boot, you can access this by booting into a live CD) and find the section that looks something like this:
Quote:
title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=ab0293a2-57e1-404e-8e14-67dbcf481f34 ro quiet splash
initrd /initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
quiet

And add the 'noapic' option to the kernel line, so that it looks like this:
Quote:
title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=ab0293a2-57e1-404e-8e14-67dbcf481f34 ro quiet splash noapic
initrd /initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
quiet

You'll also want to find this line:
Quote:
# defoptions=quiet splash

And add the option to it:
Quote:
# defoptions=quiet splash noapic

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks again to all for the advice. I was able to disable RAID in BIOS and it booted up without a hitch! Very satisfying.

I was able to configure most everything, but I've hit the wall with installing Flash Player for my 64 bit system.

I've been to all the help forums and am close, but when I get the script, I can't run it in the terminal. Ark opens it, and i try to manually do the script, but no luck. I just can't seem to get over this mental block to run it.

This is the page I'm talking about:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=476924

Installing the normal 32 bit only takes 2 lines! But this....

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
rootuser
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

One user here (maybe Wayne, but I'm not sure) also recently installed Flash on his 64-bit-Ubuntu. The "trick" is that you need the nspluginwrapper then it'll also work.
Don't know about Ubuntu, but in Fedora it's just been a few clicks and everything was fine.

Check the software-management if you can find that plugin-wrapper there, and then install the Flash-plugin in the way recommended for your distro. That should do the trick I guess.

"This is what i sent to them am not with any money to go back to nigeria pls help."

United Kingdom (0.25 go to fake_buster)

Safari x4 Wole A.: Akure, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, Akure, Nigeria to Tanguieta, Benin (both with Thomas-the-Tank and Simba), Akure, Nigeria to Kano, Nigeria (with TtT and OD), Akure, Nigeria to Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire (with TtT)

Mortar

pony pony
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerSkype Name
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, that link has the nspluginwrapper.

My problem is much more elementary -- i download the file, but can't run the script. Mad

EDIT: Well, I don't know what I did, but now it works. I'm not going to question it... Cool

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

JMR
Nice one mate!! Sometimes you just have to persevere. Hope you enjoy the Linux experience!

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I always find that when you hit a difficult problem in Windows, it takes you three days of tearing your hair out and you end up formatting and reinstalling, sadder, no wiser and feeling incompetent. When you hit a difficult problem in Linux, it takes you three days of tearing your hair out, and you end up with a solution that works and that you understand. You have learned something and feel empowered.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@JMR - Glad to hear that you got it going, finally. Very Happy

Safari Issac to Chad
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thx!

I am a bit worried about a few things like iTunes not really being accessible with linux (I know there's a supposed WINE workaround, but I'm quite exhausted at the moment).

I'm pondering a dual-boot, as I have two HDs, I may put XP on one drive and then (gulp) re-install GRUB. But, again, I will need a good rest before I take that plunge.

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just got all my parts in to build a MAC machine, hopefully this build will go well. Rodus already sent me a link to help with the build.

"I knew rigth from the first time you sent email to me that,you are a bloody *DELETED*" - Sgt Daniel Vess
"I NO BLAME U NA DI DIRTY TOTO WEN BORN U NA IM I BLAME. CATBINGO" - Lee Wong
"I AM EQUAL TO A MENTAL RETARDED PERSON" - Alvan Ben
"You have pushed me to the wall and i will make you smell yourself i bet." - George Martins
"THE FOOL STOLE YOUR US$755, HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO LEAVE ON THE PLANET" - Jim Ovia

pony pony - for a perfect brown nosing job. Wink

pony Mortar x4
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

JMR

Dual booting works well. The other alternative is either VMware or VirtualBox. I think it depends on how much you need Windows.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic