SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Burnt Gatsos!

View next topic
View previous topic

M1d0r1
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ivor Grimey Colon wrote:
The only motorways I've seen them on are those with variable speed limits, but even so I don't think they're a bad idea on motorways. Whatever the statistics for accidents are, if you're breaking the speed limit an accident's more likely than if you aren't, since the increase in your stopping distance is exponential.

Check out the M25 for their bright new shiny cameras.
Stopping distances are more an issue when people don't leave enough room between themselves and the car in front. I can be safely going along at 100 MPH if there's no-one around me. Speed cameras do not stop tailgating nor necessarily make the road safer.

Ivor Grimey Colon wrote:
That's more to do with bad drivers than speed cameras.

yes, happy to agree that it's to do with bad drivers but so is tailgating, speeding, driving an unsafe vehicle, overcrowding and most other causes of accidents. If you place a camera by the side of the road then it may be a safe assumption that bad drivers will go past.
Frankly, I'd rather not be involved in a needless pile-up just because someone chucked an anchor out the window at the sight of a yellow box.
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^
Ok, I'm beginning to see your point now. While the accidents are caused by bad drivers, the speed cameras can be a prompt for them to practice bad driving, thus causing problems for people who dont speed anyway.

I can't see why they need cameras on the 25, there's no way you'll get up to 70 there Wink

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
M1d0r1
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Apologies for disorganised posting but just found the figures for deaths caused by excessive speed in the UK.

As most Brits will know the government banged on about "Speed Kills" and it generally talked about speed being the direct cause of about a third of all accidents.

In fact, the Department for Transport had to admit a couple of months ago that actually for drivers over 26 excessive speed actually *contributed* to an accident in ... wait for it ... 2% of accidents

Yup, really. All these cameras & fuss for 2%.

"Aha" I hear people cry, "what about younger drivers ?".
Well, for the most vunerable group - 17 to 19 - excessive speed contributed to just 8% of accidents.

So effectively, all these cameras prevent a minuscule amount of accidents and we'd be better off with a copper in a police car looking for careless drivers.

For those interested: source of information is the select Committee on Transport (Minutes of Evidence). Document can be found on the House of commons website at http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200607/cmselect/cmtran/355/7032102.htm
Rorschach
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

And speaking of manipulation of statistics for so called “road safety” purposes, I read today in London Lite that Mayor Ken Livingstone has received a report that states that in a pilot study where motorcyclists were allowed to use two bus lanes, accidents (or fatalities, I can’t recall) dropped by 50%. He has told them to go back and re-write it to “bury the good news” for fear of offending the green lobby. I hate that man so much. Evil or Very Mad

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23434130-details/Mayoral+aide+%27wanted+good+news+on+road+safety+buried%27/article.do

EDIT: to add link

BRUNO HAYFORD: "you are an eel, 75% negative, 10% positive, 10% amorphous and 5% blank"

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic