SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

New to Scam Baiting...

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
tmetz
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I sell some thing's on craigslist. Almost everytime I have something up for sale, some guy email's me with a ridiculous amount of money in a cheque. Most of the time, i tell them to screw off. But then a buddy told me about this website, and I think its pretty cool what you guy's do Smile ! Here is the most recent email I got, what should I say back to get him going?

Hello Ma/Sir,

Let me know if you would be accepting CASHIER'S CHECK as a mode of payment.If you are willing to accept this,pls contact me asap with your FULLNAME,ADDRESS,CITY,STATE,ZIPCODE,COUNTRY AND CONTACT TEL PHONE #.and the total of available for sale and your asking prize. NOTE:You are to get back to me with your EMAIL ADDRESS also.

Regards.
Mr Johnson.
Saint Arnold
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I think its pretty cool what you guy's do

Thanks! We like it.

As to your question - what kind of real life details of yours does the scammer have? If any at all, you need to first open a completely different email address and send him a very generic response from there - something not tied to your ad in any way. Just say "Yes, it's still available, and I am happy to take a check. It's also got the 2 gigawatt flux capacitor installed, did you want that?"

The chances are very good that the scammer just skimmed over your ad, and grabbed the email address and sent you a pre-worded response. He probably has no idea what you are actually selling - just read his response! He then proceeded to send the same thing to dozens (or hundreds) of other craigslist advertisers, so if you respond from a new email address without reference to your original ad he will be completely unable to track down who you are. Nice, huh?

I think Mugato will be along before long to say "read the stickies and bait safe", so I'll leave that part for him except to say that you should read the stickies before considering sending a response - they are chock full o' information on baiting safely.

Our legal team are on standby for the next line of action in this very interesting case.already they are still studying the MTCN number that you sent,it will be used as evidence together with your full names and address,when this epic battle commences. - the one and only Charles Soludo

--------------------------
Cellphone x15 (RIP) United Kingdom x7 South Africa x1
Safari Lottery lad, Benin City - Abuja Safari A new minister, Lagos-Benin City Safari The same minister, Lagos - Tamale, Ghana
Safari Dr. Johnson - Abidjan-Abuja and back again (so far! - 1666 miles round trip)

pony <----because life can seem bleary and bleak without one. TS
pony Because Lotta is a great and beautiful mod!
Mortar x21
tmetz
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am reading up on the stickie's as we speak... thanks for the insight!

I have read through some threads and it is all very very funny!
sheboppe
The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to Eater, tmetz. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Very Happy

| <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135992> Official Eater T-Shirts</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028> Premium Membership</a> | ScamWarners | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413> Forum Rules</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51> Baiting Tutorials</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118738> Baiting Help</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846> FAQs</a> |

star pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Mortar x22
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to Eaterland tmetz.

This is standard overpayment scam. The scumbag sends you a cheque for more than the selling price. You then wire the difference via Western Union/Money Gram. Some considerable time later the check subsequently bounces and you are left up the Orinoco without a paddle. Although you probably know that already right?

As said above get yourself a gmail/fastmail safe addy and new character and bait this scumbag. If you find you like this baiting lark and stick around, get yourself Premium Membership which gives you access to drop boxes around the world, amongst other things. In the meantime just give a fictitious address.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to eater.

Just to dot a few T's and cross a few I's...

Unbeknown to 99% of people, cheques take a long time to actually clear (and the term is ambiguous.) In the USA, it can take two weeks for a cheque to actually go through the system, and that is if it is drawn on a US bank. Other complications can lead to the funds being withdrawn six months or more later.

The banks make funds available within four days, but they leave you with all the risk and can withdraw the funds at any time. If you have sent 90% of the money to Africa you will then be left with a big overdraft and maybe a policeman accusing you of "Uttering a Forged Instrument", which is a third degree felony.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic