SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Postcard from Tripoli.... NOW WITH PICTURES!

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Who says that only scammers go online in dingy dodgy internet cafes in ropey cities at the arse end of the world? Some baiters have to do it too!

Tonight I find myself sat in said internet cafe at 10pm on the occasion of my 35th birthday in Tripoli, capital of Libya. (Don't ask).
I've been here for 3 days now, with a further 2 days to go until I return home. Alcohol is unavailable in Libya, with severe penalties imposed on those found in posession of it. So erm, yeah. I'm having a swinging time, hence why I'm now passing some time writing you all a little postcard from the edge.

So what's tripoli like then? Well when I got this assignment I must admit, I wasn't looking forward to it. I mean, I'm a white westerner and our American cousins were only bombing this place 20 years ago! Sanctions from the west ended just a couple of years ago, and I therefore assumed I'd be in for a hard time.
The Libyan people are actually very friendly, even though the city is chaotic. Think of somewhere with the pace of life (and similar noise levels) to most Arabic and subcontinental countries.... Karachi springs to mind..... But with a very open attitude to visitors.
Driving in traffic is something of a challenge. The Libyans drive with no thought for safety, and no heed to the rules, if indeed there are any, so accidents are spectacular and plentiful. Libyans also drive on their horns, every 2 seconds literally, so a lie in of a morning is but a faint possibility if you don't have earplugs. (My hotel window doesn't close!)
The food is great, in the style of lebanese really, with kebabs galore, cold mezes and shwarma being the local stuff, although Tripoli is seeing more and more "foreign" food joints such as pizza and chicken open by the week.
There's a surprising amount to see in Libya. The romans settled here around 1900 years ago and much still remains, including the old fort walls and the Marcus Aurelius arch in Tripoli itself, right up to the magnificent ruins at Leptis Magna, 2 hours drive from the city. I visited yesterday (I'll post the photos when I'm home) and was taken aback by the scale of the place. It was after all a city which housed 80,000 romans in it's peak, around 160AD. And the best bit is, you get all this to yourself as there's still virtually no tourism to speak of.

It's been odd being one of the few western faces in such a deeply enshrined muslim / arab enclave, but the only looks you get from people are ones of curiosity. In the medina souk today I wasn't hassled once, and even got into some nice conversations with Libyans keen to practice their English.

In the internet cafe tonight (5 Dinars (about 2 pounds or 4 dollars) for 3 hours or 10 dinars for a 24 hour pass, if you were wondering) there's only 2 other people tapping away on the dual language keyboards. No scamming going on from what I can see! But I never did expect it to be a scamming hotspot....

Anyway, it's been better than I thought it would be.. just goes to show you can never rely on stereotypes of countries.

Now if one of the Mods can tell me where my IP resolves to, (Satellite provider or Tripoli itself I wonder?) then we can call this a bit of baiting research too!

See you all when I get home in a few days, (Saturday) and watch out for those pictures! Wink

Na night from Libya!

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris

Last edited by Mugatu on Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Don
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pah! You're in Greece! Laughing Laughing

Quote:
netname: COMTONET
descr: COM-TONET, COMERCIAL COMMUNICATION NETWORKS
descr: ATHENS, GREECE
admin-c: GB834-RIPE
tech-c: CTN1-RIPE
mnt-by: MNT-C2N
source: RIPE # Filtered

role: C2N ROLE
address: Aigeidon 13 & Seneka, N. Kifisia
e-mail: Whois Privacy and Spam Prevention by DomainTools.com
admin-c: GB834-RIPE
tech-c: AL3706-RIPE
nic-hdl: CTN1-RIPE

person: Gerasimos Bonanos
address: Aigeidon 13 & Seneka, Kifisia
phone: +302106249600
fax-no: +302106206850
e-mail: Whois Privacy and Spam Prevention by DomainTools.com
nic-hdl: GB834-RIPE

route: 62.68.64.0/19
descr: COMTONET
origin: AS12653

**"Freedom? There ain't no fuckin' Freedom!"**
HellRyder
Pale Tracker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mugatu wrote:
The food is great, in the style of lebanese really, with kebabs galore, cold mezes and shwarma being the local stuff

Man, that sounds good... especially the shwarma...

Mugatu wrote:
Now if one of the Mods can tell me where my IP resolves to, (Satellite provider or Tripoli itself I wonder?) then we can call this a bit of baiting research too!

Sure, turn it into a business trip... so you can have Shiver pick up the expenses... Laughing

Good hearing from you mate... enjoy the rest of the trip.

United Kingdom x2 United States x2 Nigeria
Mortar 's
Closed lad accounts 's

Pith Helmet ARK: Tamale (Ghana) - Porto Novo (Benin): "it is a Hollywood movie"

Get your ninja sword and throwing stars here
NO MENTOR & NEW TO BAITING? Here's how to do it!
JoeTam
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for your time to discribe the local. I would be scared to travel there myself. Wishing you a safe trip home. And Happy Birthday!

I went to bank. they call police, why you do this to me? I canntsend you anything now.
Goat dog
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice little travel memo. Sounds very interesting. Safe travels.

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds like an awesome place to see.

Ok Red, add another Safari and let Mugato go back home now. Wink Very Happy

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
Breddan Butter
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mugatu wrote:
Now if one of the Mods can tell me where my IP resolves to

As Don has correctly pointed out your IP resolves to ComToNet which is a Greek company.
However, they provide services much further afield than Greece:-
Quote:
Regions We Serve
Balkans
Europe
East Europe
Middle East
Magreb
Forward East (Iran, Afghanistan Pakistan etc.)
Far East
West Africa
East Africa
Central Asia

BTW, I'm jealous of your trip to Libya. Such an interesting place to visit . . . . . . if you ignore the politics.

My IP address is 217.21.39.255. (86.57.134.49 on Sundays) Please don't come knocking on my door.
dr stephen williams
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice travelogue! Armchair bound for right now... so this was wonderful, an escape.

Golden Pith x2 Safari x7 Tattoo x7 Closed lad accounts Mortar Vcamera Sand Timer x6 Team Turd Lgs-Dla Bnn-Lbra Acra-Dkar Dkr-Bnjul- Dkr-Tmbktu-Abche-Adre-N'djmna Lgos-Cairo-Aswn-Jail Ctnu-Lgos Ctnu-acra Lgos-Jbrg-Drbn-Prt-Elzbth-CT-Sprngbk-CT-Drbn-CT-Hrre-Lska-DsSlm-Mmbsa-Nirbi-Kmpla 28,510 Miles
Golden Pith Safari x2 Tattoo x6 Vcamera Sand Timer x4 Team Woody Acra-Sngpre Acra-Dkr-Rsso-Bmko Acra-Ctnu
Safari Lgos-Dkr-Rsso Sand Timer Vcamera (wKLG)
Safari x22 SS Sand Timer x3 United Kingdom United States Nigeria x303 : Closed lad accounts pyramid Mortar
Nurse Nastys Audi TTpony Whip Mc Fry Jack Boot
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Please post pictures if/when you can we would love to see them.

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Pith Helmet (Lagos to Abuja)
Netherlands China Canada x2 United Kingdom Spain Ivory Coast Germany

Hello Kitty! <---in lieu of a brownie. TS
Mortar x8
Red
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Oxy - Laughing

@ Mugatu - Great to hear from you mate! Hope you're having a good time, say hi to my Tripoli character while you're there will you? Razz

United Kingdom x36 Malaysia x6 European Union x2 United States x10 Italy x5 x4 Benin x6 Netherlands x8 Russia x2 Indonesia x2 Nigeria x11 x3 Gambia Canada x3 Spain x13 Hong Kong Gibraltar Germany x3 Cayman Islands Japan x2 Belgium x3 United Nations x3 Flag Monaco x2 Austria Ivory Coast x4 x2 Ireland Bahamas, The x2 Portugal x2 Switzerland x4 x3 Ghana x3 Sweden France x2 Serbia and Montenegro x2 China x2 Togo x2 Ukraine x2 South Africa Somolia
Golden Pith 1k3: West African Tour
Safari Ben: Lagos (Nigeria) - Accra (Ghana)
Mortar x10
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cheers all! As I say, photos will be posted when I'm back on Saturday.

I spent last night in a town called Al Beida, 2 hours flight to the east of Tripoli before returning to the capital tonight. Al Beida was not as developed shall we say..... it was a little like something out of the film Borat. Nice! Very Happy still, it was an experience.

I managed to get a room with an internet terminal tonight so no more hanging out in internet cafes. (I think the hotel staff upgraded as I've been here most of the week!) It would be interesting to see the IP info for this hotel, although I'm betting it's the same as it's only a block away from the cafe.... but of course that means nothing sometimes. Can a moderator check please?

It's been interesting but I'm looking forward to the flight home.
Speak to you guys soon!

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds like you are having a blast, Mugatu. Can't wait to see the pictures.

"I knew rigth from the first time you sent email to me that,you are a bloody *DELETED*" - Sgt Daniel Vess
"I NO BLAME U NA DI DIRTY TOTO WEN BORN U NA IM I BLAME. CATBINGO" - Lee Wong
"I AM EQUAL TO A MENTAL RETARDED PERSON" - Alvan Ben
"You have pushed me to the wall and i will make you smell yourself i bet." - George Martins
"THE FOOL STOLE YOUR US$755, HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO LEAVE ON THE PLANET" - Jim Ovia

pony pony - for a perfect brown nosing job. Wink

pony Mortar x4
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
Fatter Siam
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yo, my honky bro who know how ta roll, git yo ass back ta pimpin ya didgits fore I bust dat chickenhead with my blunt! ...or something to that effect

Happy belated Birthday, my friend! Hope you do it up right tonight!

happy crowd

Safari Accra>Abidjan
Safari Accra>Dakar
Safari Accra>Lome
Safari Cotonou>Abidjan
Safari Cotonou>Accra
Safari Cotonou>Lome
Safari Lagos>Lome UHMMMMM OH MY GOD DADDY PLEASE SAVE MY LIFE HERE IN LOME i did not eat, take my bath nor brush my tooth
Safari #1 Lagos>Cotonou> SH Parakou, #2 Lagos>SH Abuja HE REALLY SUFFERED AS I COULDN'T RECOGNIZE HIM AGAIN

Click here to support 419Eater.com
Breddan Butter
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mugatu wrote:
. . . . . . It would be interesting to see the IP info for this hotel, although I'm betting it's the same as it's only a block away from the cafe.... but of course that means nothing sometimes. Can a moderator check please? . . .

Methinks that you are joshing with us Mugatu Laughing

Your IP address remains the same as your first post.

My IP address is 217.21.39.255. (86.57.134.49 on Sundays) Please don't come knocking on my door.
Murry Guru
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Mugatu

Happy belated birthday,

by now it's too late but enjoy your trip

Cant wait for the photos

Got info on a scam vic? PM a mod Recieved a scam warning? Say "thank you, I am a baiter"
Ruin your pets day, post their details at scamwarners
Nurse Nastys Audi TT <- I run like a girl
Mortar x12 Closed lad accounts ? not enough Twisted Evil
Goat Goat <- this one belongs to Ralph.
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ B&B & mugatu

In the uk every ip is generally different, however my home town in ireland all resolve to 1 ip, an aol.ie one at that.

The reason being in ireland the infrastructure isnt everywhere some places are in the middle of nowhere - but the clever sods worked out as long as you can chain to an access point you can have broadband, the cost spread around those using the effective WAN ok so you run out every 250 peeps but 250 peeps paying you 40 euro a month for a 39 euro line isnt too bad Wink

Speeds are generally ok, Alan maloy runs the hub its a mixture of cable wireless and fixed wire lans and 1 microwave setup too.

Its quite possible the internet cafe is beaming to the hotel and a few other places too, or vice versa and one of them runs the actual connection.

Most companies will barter for example say to sky - ill give you the 28 pence per day per customer if you let me rebroadcast your channels and sky say "ok" unless of course your virgin - they told sky to stuff it lol.

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Makes sense Digi one. Thanks for the input on the IP, I feel I've got nothing but stick since I posted! Maybe I should just stay at home in future, the IP should be more believable!

I got back home 4 hours ago now, how does the IP check out Mods?

Photos to follow right here in the next post:

Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Alcohol is unavailable in Libya

"During one of my treks through Afghanistan, we lost our corkscrew. We were compelled to live on food and water for several days."

W.C. Fields
(My Little Chickadee)

** Retired **

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The photos from Libya that I promised, I hope you enjoy them:

The entrance to the Medina Souk in Tripoli:

The Green Square in Tripoli, where locals promenade:

A portion of the old city walls at the harbour:

An array of copper and brass goods in the medina souk:

A local craftsman beats a copper decorative plate by hand in the medina souk:

A Mosque on the hillside amongst farmland in Sirta, Libya:

The triumhant archway into Leptus Magna..... All roads lead to Rome! And this one literally does.

This well preserved road leads west to Alexandria:

The Forum at Leptis, which was covered in it's heyday 1850 years ago. Where all and sundry would meet to discuss politics, life, love, whatever!

The inside of the Basilica, Leptus Magna, where the senators discussed law....

Bath time: The cold outside marble baths at Leptis:

Theatre time! The magnificent amphitheatre at Leptis Magna: 1900 years young.

Cloud number 9: Descending into the grey clouds of London returning from Libya.

And that's it for our tour of Libya guys. Hope you enjoyed it.

kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mugatu wrote:
... All roads lead to Rome! And this one literally does. ...

Literally? Across the Mediterranean? Shocked

Or the long way via the Levant? Wink
JoeTam
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Could you imagine seeing Pink Floyd in that ampitheater? Thanks for the pic's!

I went to bank. they call police, why you do this to me? I canntsend you anything now.
Goat dog
sekhmet29
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to live in Alexandria - the road from Libya must pretty much go through my house!! Wow... I always wanted to go to Libya... I'm so jealous!

pony

Hello Kitty! <---TS certified "Atta Girl"!
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

KD

From a thesaurus:
Lead to - cause, bring about, make possible, initiate, set in motion, produce, result in
Encarta � World English Dictionary � & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

I know... geographically, the Mediterranean Sea is in the way... Cool

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks!

I love the pics, because I will never see any place that will require a plane. Very Happy

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
dr stephen williams
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you! Very Happy

Golden Pith x2 Safari x7 Tattoo x7 Closed lad accounts Mortar Vcamera Sand Timer x6 Team Turd Lgs-Dla Bnn-Lbra Acra-Dkar Dkr-Bnjul- Dkr-Tmbktu-Abche-Adre-N'djmna Lgos-Cairo-Aswn-Jail Ctnu-Lgos Ctnu-acra Lgos-Jbrg-Drbn-Prt-Elzbth-CT-Sprngbk-CT-Drbn-CT-Hrre-Lska-DsSlm-Mmbsa-Nirbi-Kmpla 28,510 Miles
Golden Pith Safari x2 Tattoo x6 Vcamera Sand Timer x4 Team Woody Acra-Sngpre Acra-Dkr-Rsso-Bmko Acra-Ctnu
Safari Lgos-Dkr-Rsso Sand Timer Vcamera (wKLG)
Safari x22 SS Sand Timer x3 United Kingdom United States Nigeria x303 : Closed lad accounts pyramid Mortar
Nurse Nastys Audi TTpony Whip Mc Fry Jack Boot
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic