SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

SLR digital cameras.... your views please!

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My Mrs already has a Canon Eos wet film SLR and is getting into her photography hobby quite nicely.
I own a HP digital camera at 6.2 MP.

With Christmas coming up, I want to buy her a digital SLR camera.
I have a budget of something like �400 (about $800 for our US readers)....
Can I afford a decent digital SLR camera at this budget? What should I consider?
Should I consider a pre used model?

All thoughts and ideas appreciated.

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris
writeon
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's worth considering this @ $800

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_d40x.asp

"MY FINANCE DEPARTMENT TOLD'S ME TODAY THAT THE WESTERN UNION FORM YOU SENT WAS NOT VALID AND ELUCID" - Dr Frank Johnson

THERE IS A MURDER CASE WHICH I ENGAGE MY SELF INTO TO MAKE SURE THE CLIENT IS NOT KILLED BY HANGING, BUT I THANK GOD TODAY THAT THE CLIENT SUCIDED IN GOING TO JAIL INSTEAD OF HANGING TO DEATH,THAT IS THE REASON WHY I DIDN,T GET BACK TO YOU SOON. - Mohammed Traore

PLEASE HELP ME BECAUSE AM BURNING I MEAN I AM IN BETWEEN THE DEVIL AND THE RED SEA PLEASE. - Ruth
harrya
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Shocked SLR digital Question

Great question

My fav is still my Nikon FG

However just like a beautiful guitar it's the monkey holding it that makes the difference.

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I got one of these ( http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120897 ).

It's a great bit of kit and comes in under budget too.
I'll post some example pics when I get myself sorted

MOD edit - fixed the link - crash

get your baiting forms here
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I asked my wife the camera junkie (also works at a repair place), Nikon D40 or Nikon D80 are the first words out of her mouth (I think she's hinting at them for Christmas as well Very Happy) . She said the Canon Rebel is a good one, but a lot of camera for a novice user. She also recommends accidental extended warranty plans because of the problems that can occur with the replacing of the lenses.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mug: One consideration is if she has a lot of lenses for her film camera you might want a digi from the same manufacturer as the lenses will likely be compatible thus saving a ton of money on a whole new set of lenses.

One consideration is the flash memory card you purchase. Do not skimp here. Get one that writes FAST. This will reduce the time between shots.

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Pith Helmet (Lagos to Abuja)
Netherlands China Canada x2 United Kingdom Spain Ivory Coast Germany

Hello Kitty! <---in lieu of a brownie. TS
Mortar x8
breadcrumb
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would consider getting a Canon EOS 30D. (don�t know what this model is called where you live). Mainly because the new 40D is out and therefore the 30D can be purchased at a good price now (look on ebay for good offers).
I would surely prefer this model over a Nikon D40 (which is low end D-SLR from Nikon) or a Canon EOS 400D
About the lenses of the current Canon camera she owns: don�t forget to consider the crop factor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

"your papa, i do you ok, you do fuck your self off goodday" Hitman lad to Usm4an B3ll0
"fuck you and your mumu family for ever andv ever, you go die for bicycle accident this year" Hitman to Usm4n B3ll0
"once again thank you for the disappointment and arranged confussion." Barrister Ise
"Do you said am stupid" lad posing as Mike Pence
Click here to support 419Eater.com
Postcount doesn´t matter.
pony Rolling Eyes (Admin Certified)
9x United Kingdom 2x Spain Benin Netherlands Nigeria Switzerland
Mortar x12
Seven of Nine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Mugatu, as your SO already has Canon gear and I presume a small collection of decent compatible lenses, I'd suggest the Canon EOS 400D. You might be lucky enough to find a good s/h one.

The body only package may be just out of your budget but it certainly would be worth considering if the existing lenses are high quality ones. I'll also suggest budgeting for a new clip-on flash if she used one with her film camera.

My choice of digi SLR is a Pentax K10 D as I already have a collection of decent manual focus Pentax lenses.

hth and Good Luck Smile

angusmactavish
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What everyone has said about sticking with Canon if you have Canon stuff makes perfect sense. However, if she doesn't have a big investment in Canon equipment, you might want to consider Pentax. I have a Pentax DSLR and what sold me was the price and shake reduction built into the camera body rather than the lens. (I'm an available light enthusiast). This makes the lenses cheaper and third party lenses are easier to get. (I own both Nikon and Pentax SLR film cameras and Fuji digital cameras also.)

Having said that, my real advice is: Unless she is the type to place great importance on the surprise aspect, let her pick her own. Something this *important* *expensive* *personal* should have input from the end user.

Listen, my contact with you in this transaction does not warrant you to insult my personality for any reason. - Godwin Luis

United Kingdom Cayman Islands Bahamas, The United Kingdom Bahamas, The
Cayman Islands Cayman Islands Netherlands Nigeria Netherlands Safari Mortar x18
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You can get a Canon Digital Rebel XT / EOS 350D quite cheap now, it only has a couple of bells and whistles less than this years model. I got one last year and I love it. I spent a lot on lenses, as the kit one was a disappointment, but your Mrs has compatible lenses already. If you got her another brand she wouldn't get much for them second hand, and would have to re equip.

a bit like motorbikes, if you buy a new one, you know if it has ever been dropped - you don't with a used one.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Kickstart
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I gotta say - the 400d is a great camera but the kit lens just isnt up to the job.

For the $ without getting a better lens, get a fuji s9600.

If you have the $, get the 400d, a 50mm f1.8 and grow from there.

Tutorial - Backup your Gmail
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the views so far, some real food for thought.

I see the logic of sticking with a Canon (she does indeed have 2 lenses already and a few other bits).... I had no idea that lenses weren't interchangeable between makes of camera.

It's looking a very expensive business though, even if I get a decent camera for �400, I see that there are flash guns, battery grips, flash cards and all the other gubbins to worry about as well!

I thought I might get a half decent package for 400 quid. Confused

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
sycovem
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Personally, I use the Canon 350d. And I think it's a pretty good idea to get your missus a Canon, mate.

Firstly, since she's already been using a Canon FSLR, it wouldn't be that much of a hassle to get used to a digital model of the same brand. Of course it's a plus that she's got a coupla lenses left over from her old Canon.

Moreover, there really is a larger selection of Canon lenses in the market. It's pretty much easier to get a Canon lens than a few of the other brands in the market nowadays..

Just my two cents.
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I use this:

Fuji9600

It's a hybrid SLR. Although the lens is not interchangeable, everything else can be done manually or, if you're a lazy git like me, automatically.
Price-wise, it's dropped tremendously for a recent camera. You should easily be able to pick one up on the net for almost half of it's �400 RRP (Bastards. Why wasn't it so cheap when I got mine?)
Without a doubt, the best camera I have ever owned.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
Seven of Nine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Mugatu, Just a thought: Is there a camera club that meets somewhere near where you live? Some members may offer more assistance in decision making than what we can. Perhaps with some 'hands on' with a few of the makes/models mentioned and hopefully with your SO's existing lenses etc.

Whilst on the topic, a camera club/photo society membership probably would be a pretty nice gift too Wink

Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ No there isn't, but I have spoken with a mate today who is a keen photographer. He backs up many here on the idea that the Canon 350D is a very good entry level camera, within budget, (with change to afford some extras!) and is also compatible with the existing lenses.

I'm bidding on one on ebay at the mo, they go for �350 or so retail in the shops, but this clearance house has them going in auctions for around the �250 mark which still leaves a couple of hundred for another decent lens, a tripod and a shutter switch. (And maybe a bag).

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the help so far.

sycovem
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't know if this will help, but I read from some replies above recommending the 50mm 1.8 portrait lens. I can vouch for it in terms of price and useability. Costs about USD$90 to about a $100, I reckon? Really good for the price and theres not much of a difference between the 50mm 1.4, though the latter carries a heftier price tag.

So, if you're thinking of getting a coupla lenses to go with that nifty present, that would get my vote. That's assuming your lady doesn't already have it, though.

Now all i gotta do is to find someone who cares enough to get me something like that this year... Laughing
Kickstart
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, I stretched my cash to get the 400d 18-55 kit, but am a little disappointed because the lens cant keep up with what I'm doing. And now my camera fund is dry for another 6 moths or so.

Gotta spend even more $ to make it work good, whereas the fuji s-series are quality all the way through the zoom.

Tutorial - Backup your Gmail
Gn@rp
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Never buy a Nikon D40 or D40x, because the autofocus of most of the lenses wont work. This means that when using non AF-S lenses on a D40 is only possible with manual focus. A Nikon D40(x) only works perfect (with autofocus) when using AF-S lenses. But most of the Nikon lenses (or third party lenses) aren't AF-S lenses. After a while, most people want to buy extra lenses for their camera and in that case it sucks when you hardly have a choice.

If you consider to buy a Canon dslr, the 18-55 kitlens isn't a good lens, so buy an onther one instead.

All the other camera's are fine.

Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So, thank you to everyone who's had an input on this so far, it's all very much appreciated.

I'm swinging towards the Canon 350D (Rebel XT) at the moment as it's under budget and allows me to buy her a nice lens on top of the kit one. The 400d (Rebel XTi) is my other consideration.

Thing is, they're easy to come by (400Ds that is) on ebay for about �300 ($600). They come "Factory sealed", i.e used and refurbished by the factory, then given a new warranty. I'm told by the seller that each camera "may have slight blemishes".

This worries me slightly.

Does my wifey need the extra features of the 400D? What does it do that the 350D doesn't?

Anyone come across these factory sealed cameras before? Are they scuffed?

Input welcome as always! And thanks so far.

Marvinator
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mugatu wrote:
Should I consider a pre used model?

Pre-Used? Does that mean NEW?
breadcrumb
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Does my wifey need the extra features of the 400D? What does it do that the 350D doesn't?

I just bought myself the EOS 400D two weeks ago and I think it is a great camera where you get a lot of camera for the price.

For an in depth review (where you can also see the changes from the 350D), see this here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/

"your papa, i do you ok, you do fuck your self off goodday" Hitman lad to Usm4an B3ll0
"fuck you and your mumu family for ever andv ever, you go die for bicycle accident this year" Hitman to Usm4n B3ll0
"once again thank you for the disappointment and arranged confussion." Barrister Ise
"Do you said am stupid" lad posing as Mike Pence
Click here to support 419Eater.com
Postcount doesn´t matter.
pony Rolling Eyes (Admin Certified)
9x United Kingdom 2x Spain Benin Netherlands Nigeria Switzerland
Mortar x12
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic