SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Automotive Service Scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ginch
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've never had work done by the famous chain mentioned in this video, but I suspect they're only the tip of a vast iceberg.

Magic Clicky Thingy

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I never use those places either, but always suspected that. I once needed front disc brake pads while visiting another state. I took it to a national chain and explained that I could do it, but didn't have the tools. I asked the manager to just replace the pads, nothing else. He came back with a $400.00 estimate, telling me that both front calipers were shot, and the back cylinders were leaking. By this time, they had all 4 wheels off. I told him again, that I know how to do this stuff, and that my car did not need all the repairs he was talking about. He lowered it to $350.00. I told him to put the wheels back on. I drove to the nearest auto parts store, bought brake pads, new rotors, and the tools to perform the repairs for less than $100.00. I did it in the hotel parking lot in about 1 hour. Needless to say, I will never step foot in that chain again.
Don
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You have brake pads on Harley? Shocked In thought you guys just put a foot down?

**"Freedom? There ain't no fuckin' Freedom!"**
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to have my suspicions about some of the big chains over here in the UK.
I now use a local garage, family firm, he's a bit slower but so far trustworthy.

I'm trying to grow my own grease monkey but so far she's only interested in motorbikes

( my dream is to one day have my kids be a doctor, lawyer, plumber/handyman-woman, mechanic, dentist, decorator- I'll either need more kids or they'll have to double up on jobs. OR one big lotto winner )
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A friend of mine took his Karmen Ghia to a Jiffy Lube and returned when the oil light would not go out. It was missing the oil screen and all the bolts that hold it on. Little VW did not seize.

My flight instructor suffered a engine seizure on his HD. With only 900 miles on it he was a little concerned. Not to worry, happens on dry sump engines, get on with it he was told by HD national.

No one touches my brakes but me. OEM equivalent pads with a lifetime guarantee are about $23 US. All modern cars are one bolt swing away caliper designs. I use a c-clamp to push in the caliper, dope the pads with anti squeak and then change out the fluid when I am done. I once needed an assistant but have invested $0.65 US in aquarium tubing so that I can do it all myself. I allow 20 minutes per wheel but bought a service jack to speed things up. I also use a 1/2 inch ratchet to remove wheel lugs.

I never machine rotors. When they mic too small, I just replace them. The last set were under a hundred hand delivered by the local parts house.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
PRS Girly Girl
Will Post for Food

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I always bring one of my knowledge guys friends with me any time work needs to be done on my car. With few exceptions, the counter clerk or mechanic will speak directly to my friend and act like I'm not there even though I initiated the interaction. Actually, I don't mind that much since I wouldn't know if the flux capacitor and dilithium chamber needed servicing or not. Now I have to worry about whether the work gets done or not. Evil or Very Mad

BTW, I needed help from Google to find a suitable Star Trek reference.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

Mortar x3
Pith Helmet Banjul, The Gambia to Dakar, Senegal and back. 0usman C4mar4
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic