SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Craigslist scam - "no crime had been committed"

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Philo Kvetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I guess I'm a little surprized that some members [leaders at that] here are so willing to violate the TOS of a legitimate site.

Perhaps it's just an "across the pond jealousy" thing of the former colony.

Let me know when you make your posts - I'll make sure to get them flagged ASAP.

Click here to support 419Eater.com
Breddan Butter
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think that you may have missed an important point here, Philo Kvetch.
The site may be legitimate but it is, and always has been, riddled with scammers.

My IP address is 217.21.39.255. (86.57.134.49 on Sundays) Please don't come knocking on my door.
Zen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Philo, placing bogus adverts that legit Craigslist users will totally ignore is no different (IMO) to seeding guestbooks. What downside do you foresee?

And given that our activities might persuade some scammers to stop targetting Craigslist, why do you think anyone will object?

Warned you're writing to a scammer? Just say "Thanks, I'm a baiter" (ScamWarners.com)
419eater FAQ/rules: http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846
"Tell me what you want to do
And I can make it up for you
And lie" Ticket to Lie, by Texas
lottowinner
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've used CL many many times to sucessfully sell items in various categories. It wasn't the dollar amount that seemed to attract the poor grammar replies. It was the category. Selling a computer always brought out the scammers. Other household or sporting goods items very rarely did. I just figure they are constantly pounding out their scams on a computer so that is the category on the brain.

LW

I want to let you know that every fee you pay to your lawyer here in Nigeria is a scam, And also will advice you to stop dealing with them for your own good. U5M4N 5H4M5UD33N
Breddan Butter
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The type of item that is advertised is of no importance to a scammer.
They target everything that is advertised.
Everything!

My IP address is 217.21.39.255. (86.57.134.49 on Sundays) Please don't come knocking on my door.
guymannemisis
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think a blog detailing known scams would be a great service to the unwary. These scammers send out hundreds of emails to ads on CL and they'll maybe get a dozen or so "live" ones. If it would pull up on a Google search and warn off a potential victim then I'm all for it. I've played around on there myself - listed a room for rent and the only responses I got were scammers. On the plus side my daughter has gotten several nanny jobs via CL - I do warn her and she has to run the ad and any responses by me first, but she's been ok so far. My family is far more savvy than your average Joe Public because of my involvment in baiting. It does tend to make one a bit jaded but as my Gran used to say "better safe than sorry".
Just my tuppence worth...
Philo Kvetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I got a PM from a new member yesterday who got a scam response to her craiglist rental ad.

She googled the scammers email and saw a post I made about him and contacted me. I passed it to a mod.

More ways to alert potential victims, who are bright enough to be alerted, is a good thing.

Abusing a legitimate site, violating the user agreement [explicit contract] and involving innocent 3rd parties by posting false ads is wrong.

Click here to support 419Eater.com
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Philo Kvetch wrote:
... posting false ads is wrong.

Correction: it is your opinion that it is wrong. Nothing more. No need to make your personal opinion an absolute thruth.

Btw, welcome to the internet.
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Craiglist is swarming with fake check scammers, baiters placing fake adverts to attract said fake check scammers, is doing Craiglist and the craiglist sellers a favour, as it is diverting fake checks away from those seller, or perhaps we should jst stop and let the scamemrs carry on scamming Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Abusing a legitimate site, violating the user agreement [explicit contract] and involving innocent 3rd parties by posting false ads is wrong.

Blah blah blah, load of old pony.

PS. By the way, I was only born in the UK, my parents, grandparents and great grandparents are all Irish, I class myself as Irish, so don't give me any of that old jealousy across the pond colony bollox Evil or Very Mad

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Doctor X
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As with all things, do not do what you are not comfortable with.

Until a baiter takes a victim's money, there is no comparison. Craiglist runs their place much like Wiki where "da peoples" have a free reign. Well, sometimes "da people" get organized.

--J.D.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic