SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

News to justify what we do

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
MisterHobbs
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A friend of mine saw this on AOL and forwarded it to me earlier today. (I later tried to get him to send me the link and source, but he said the article was no longer on the page). Nevertheless, interesting quick read.

Majority of Americans Can't Spot an E-Mail Scam

<<<If you received an e-mail today from a deposed Nigerian prince offering you millions of dollars in exchange for just a few thousand up front, would you immediately recognize this as one of the oldest e-mail scams in the book? So old, in fact, that it led 'Dateline' and Chris Hanson to franchise 'To Catch a Predator' into 'To Catch a Con Man?' If not, you're not alone. A recent study of 2,482 American adults found that 58 percent of us are totally unaware of scams such as this one. What's more, a surprising 17 percent of adults admitted to falling victim to an online scam in the last year. Of those victims, 81 percent admitted it was their own fault by opening unsolicited e-mail or sending personal information to companies that they believed were legitimate.>>>

17% fell victim in the last year? Cant be that high, can it? Ken

New to baiting and want a mentor? Click here!
williamnorris
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mmm, 17% does seem very high?

Fake bank kills: 2x United Kingdom

<a href="/forum/donate.php">Click here for enlightenment...</a>
ratter
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This insanely long link has another article about the survey.

(edit...wasn't the same article the OP referenced)

United KingdomUnited StatesNigeriaSpainSwitzerlandBeninNetherlandsCanadaGhanaItalyIrelandMalaysiaUnited Nations = 56

Goat

PayPal Modality
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Their sample size seems low. 2,482 people then they are extrapolating that to about 302,000,000 Americans. That is only .00082% of the population. You just aren't going to get accurate numbers with such a low sample size. Also it doesn't say if these people were located in the same geographical area or not. Ideally you want the people spread all over the US. I just can't agree that these numbers are a proper representation of the US.

"I knew rigth from the first time you sent email to me that,you are a bloody *DELETED*" - Sgt Daniel Vess
"I NO BLAME U NA DI DIRTY TOTO WEN BORN U NA IM I BLAME. CATBINGO" - Lee Wong
"I AM EQUAL TO A MENTAL RETARDED PERSON" - Alvan Ben
"You have pushed me to the wall and i will make you smell yourself i bet." - George Martins
"THE FOOL STOLE YOUR US$755, HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO LEAVE ON THE PLANET" - Jim Ovia

pony pony - for a perfect brown nosing job. Wink

pony Mortar x4
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
Gleep
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with Ook that the sample size is far too low to be statistically significant. Hell, if the scam success rate is as high as 17%, I might just move to West Africa and start a new career as a mugu!

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

36.449% of all statistics are made up.
freya
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually, 2500 people at a confidence level of 95% and a confidence interval of 1.96 is an accurate sample size of a population of 302,000,000.

MisterHobbs
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
36.449% of all statistics are made up

I think there is a 64.556% chance of that statement being at least 88.354% accurate.

Gleep
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, if Freya is correct, then 17% might well be an accurate number and I'm DEFINITELY moving to West Africa!

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Ook and Gleep - It has been proven that smaller sample sizes give a more accurate portrayal of desired research outcome (ie representative statistics) than large sample sizes do.

As you would be aware, most surveys regarding political polling are done with a sample size of between 1000-2000 and ratings for television used to follow a similar guideline

If you would like to know more about why read (WARNING: MATHEMATICS CONTENT!):

Here

Here

and most importantly Here

United Kingdom x36 Malaysia x6 European Union x2 United States x10 Italy x5 x4 Benin x6 Netherlands x8 Russia x2 Indonesia x2 Nigeria x11 x3 Gambia Canada x3 Spain x13 Hong Kong Gibraltar Germany x3 Cayman Islands Japan x2 Belgium x3 United Nations x3 Flag Monaco x2 Austria Ivory Coast x4 x2 Ireland Bahamas, The x2 Portugal x2 Switzerland x4 x3 Ghana x3 Sweden France x2 Serbia and Montenegro x2 China x2 Togo x2 Ukraine x2 South Africa Somolia
Golden Pith 1k3: West African Tour
Safari Ben: Lagos (Nigeria) - Accra (Ghana)
Mortar x10
pwwbear
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

"There are three types of lies - lies, damn lies, and statistics."
Mark Twain

TRY AND PUT THIS ARTICLE OF MINE ON U'R 419EATERS CLUB...TELL U'R SITE FRIENDS THAT I GOT U N THEM IN A STREET OF GAME FIGHT...I AM WAITING FOR YOU GUYS TO DO WHAT U THINK U WANT TO DO TO ME - rev. botchway
Click here to support 419Eater.com
thedevguy67

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

2500 would be fine (heck so would 1500 for the reason mentionned above by freya) if infact this sample was based on probability theory (such as a random sample). From what I read, the methodological aspects of this research were not presented in great detail. Thus I would be lead to believe this was not random and hence there is no way to make accurate inferences about the population (i.e., use inferential statistics).

Since this is in general chat, I will post the following link[url]
http://inet4.swtjc.cc.tx.us/lmcrorey/Govt%202301/Lecture%20ch11.htm[/url]

Warning -- only click if you are real bored and curious, but the author does an impressive job of discussing the pro's and con's of survey research.

I have a sex dull that will f*ck you till dead - Stanley Lee
You are dirty and castrated Goat - CC Jones
Go f*ck yourself because I know your mum is sucking Satan's penis - Peggy Paiser
You must be high on your mother's frozen menstruation! - Victor Evans

Jolly Roger Safari United States United States United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Ghana Nigeria Togo South Africa
Mortar x12 Golden Pig Closed lad accounts X 2525 X 100s
Mackilt
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If its maths you want have a look at this site
http://www.4cashnow.co.uk/low_rate_payday_loans.htm

Have a look at the APR percentages then work out the figures!

I have seen students applying for these loans and thankfully we have been able to warn most of them but there will always be a few that don't click!

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Did they say that 17 % were falling for 419? Online scam can mean a lot of things, especially if you include cases where people only got the impression they have been scammed when in fact they just read something wrong.

So the 17 y/o horny schoolgirl in chat wasn't really a schoolgirl? Scam! The cellphone you bought only had 32 MB instead of the 64 MB that you read..umm...somehere? Scam! So the ISP you just signed up with refuses to enable your internet connection just because you don't have a PC or a landline? Scam! So you signed up for this service and overlooked the fact that it is actually a monthly membership? Scam!

You get the picture.

**"Freedom? There ain't no fuckin' Freedom!"**
MisterHobbs
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

All good points......the 17% (1 in 6) is very likely an improper representation. However, even allowing for a very large margin of error, we all know that this is definitely a big problem, otherwise there wouldn't be so many lads doing it.

Does anyone have any other %'s as to how many people may be true vics of 419's? (Who have actually sent money)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic