SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Scam?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
shakira
Apprentice Fence Mender

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

(I changed all names, and stuff that wouldn't make sense with the actual names)
Quote:
Hello MYNAME,

My name is THEIRNAME and I’m the Associate Editor for Deitel at Pearson Education. I’m contacting you to see if you might be interested in conducting a post-publication review of the current edition of Green Eggs and Ham, 6e by Dr. Seuss.

The authors are planning to streamline the upcoming 7th Edition, so a thorough review of the current edition is needed. As you know the continued success of green eggs and hams are built on the quality of the book and education that goes along with them. The quality is dependent on reviews by pioneers on the forefront of the cuisine including instructors and industry professionals. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The honorarium for this post-publication review is $600.

If you are unable to review, might you be able to suggest and alternate colleague?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Carole

The weird thing is that I got that 10 days ago, and I got another review offer on Feb 12 (but just found out since I never check my email), but on my website, I haven't done any reviews, and $600 is a lot considering I've made about -$9.

I emailed them back, and they said they would send me info later today... Am I going to be baiting them, or making $600?

Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

shakira wrote:
Am I going to be baiting them, or making $600?

Could be either. It's not a scam format that I recognise.
I think you need to play along, and get further info. Which means giving them your real address, which rules out a bait.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Could it possibly be like those author scams, where you contact a publishing company to see if they will publish your book, they write back saying it sounds great, but they want you to get an appraisal of it done first, they give you the link to an appraisal company, which of course, is them under another name, they take your money and then tell you your writing/book is not good enough.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
shakira
Apprentice Fence Mender

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, they sent me a .zip with 2 word documents and an annotated PDF. They also sent me a username and password to an FTP with a PDF for each chapter of the book.

I don't think scammers would be that smart, so do I trust them with my SSN and address (which they asked for in one of the word documents for a post review survey)?

Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd never give my SSN to strangers or over the internet. What do they claim to need that information for?

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
Sir Cumfrence
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The grammar is really shoddy for an "Associate Editor". Can you check the IP?

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you'd like to pm me any details (names, email addresses, headers etc) I'll see if I can uncover anything.

Scamwarners.com Advice and info about scams
Jolly Roger pony
shakira
Apprentice Fence Mender

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ima Baeder wrote:
I'd never give my SSN to strangers or over the internet. What do they claim to need that information for?

"Social Security # (for payment purposes)"

Quote:
The grammar is really shoddy for an "Associate Editor". Can you check the IP?

The IP is from Simon & Schuster, which is a publisher, and the city is the same one she said she's in.

Quote:
If you'd like to pm me any details (names, email addresses, headers etc) I'll see if I can uncover anything.

Sent.

benjaminbunny
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the pm. The headers look genuine but I've advised to check with the contact details on the website pearson.com (reg 1996)
Sadly, grammar and spelling are inconclusive as I used to do some work for H**nemann, and the communications were some of the worst spelling and grammar I have seen.

I know nothing about SSNs and US employment so I can't comment on that. Otherwise, I haven't found anything against it, so I'm afraid it's "employee beware"
Quote:
The IP is from Simon & Schuster
which also uses the pearson.com servers

I don't know which is worse, finding something definitely wrong, or finding nothing Smile

Scamwarners.com Advice and info about scams
Jolly Roger pony
shakira
Apprentice Fence Mender

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I couldn't find her email address on any of the sites, but it's in the same format as all of the email addresses I did see, and you found her name in that PDF...

It's weird that they would recruit like that considering my website has little to do with "green eggs and ham."

Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Associate Editor wrote:
The authors are planning to streamline the upcoming 7th Edition

That'd be pretty hard, considering the author (singular) is dead.

Quote:
The quality is dependent on reviews by pioneers on the forefront of the cuisine including instructors and industry professionals.

Aside from the fact that this sentence doesn't really make sdense, it really sounds as if this person thinks the book is some kind of cookbook or nutritional information book? Confused

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
shakira
Apprentice Fence Mender

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Titania wrote:
Associate Editor wrote:
The authors are planning to streamline the upcoming 7th Edition

That'd be pretty hard, considering the author (singular) is dead.

Quote:
The quality is dependent on reviews by pioneers on the forefront of the cuisine including instructors and industry professionals.

Aside from the fact that this sentence doesn't really make sdense, it really sounds as if this person thinks the book is some kind of cookbook or nutritional information book? Confused

Remember, I changed the names, lol.

Edit: I didn't feel right about giving my SSN#, I don't want to read a 1200 page book, and my family is going to be here for a week starting tomorrow so I told here that there was a "family emergency" and that I could not do it.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic