SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Harry Potter - BOOK 7 SPOILERS OK (WARNING!!!!)

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Standard Procedure
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I love the Harry Potter books. I've really enjoyed them until now, and it's time to see what this movie will turn out to be...

The following statement is true
The above statement is false
Mr Creosote
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SWMBO made me read the first one, I was reluctant. I must say I don't know what the fuss is all about. I didn't enjoy the book, it was definitely written as a kiddy book, something I don't usually mind but this one irked me not sure if it was Rowlings style or what it was.

I was pleasantly surprised by the films, and am enjoying them as they appear.
Rintastic
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So OoTP last night was AMAZING! Our movie was scheduled to begin at 12:01 a.m., we arrived at 9:30 and they let us sit in the theater...there were already over 40 people there then. Yes, yes, I know what was missing/overlooked/reworked/added. I was worried I would be disappointed because it is my favorite book, nothing to worry about Smile

I agree that OotP can be a little long winded, but the story and the depth of Harry's angst and the creatures and the fight in the Ministry of Magic...it's all so detailed that you don't really even NEED a movie! Smile

About book 7, an interesting theory I read once on the Leaky Cauldron site is that McGonagall is a death eater. Makes a lot of sense. Whaddya thinK?

Click here to support 419Eater.com

Musicians and people who like musicians: We've started a forum for the exchange of ideas and sounds for bands around the world! Come check us out at www.oblivioninc.com!
persephone
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I LOVE HP Very Happy Will download movie as soon as available and took the Monday off so I can read the new book cover to cover (while fighting hubby - he has to wait until I finish). I do think Harry will die at the end of book 7. I think he will need to die in order to kill Voldemort. That will also get all the ruddy teenagers off the writer's back for a follow-up on the series Wink

Closed lad accounts loads
pony pony Mortar x46 United States 3x Canada Malaysia 2x Netherlands 2x Nigeria 2x Ghana 3x Ivory Coast 9x United Kingdom 3x Spain Bahamas, The Germany Australia Algerian Flag Togo 2x Cellphone Pretty Rose Safari 4 days of travel - 7 days stuck in airport
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

persephone wrote:
... Will download movie as soon as available ...

Uhh, you mean "buy" right?

(pew! that almost got us in trouble. Wink )
persephone
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Of course, downloading is bad, m'kay?

Back on topic: what do you guys think of the movies anyways? I was quite surprised to see I actually enjoyed the first two. When the books became bigger, the movie was a very weak representation of them in my opinion. My favourite movie bit is still seeing them fly on their brooms in the competition. For the rest, I prefer the written version.

How long is the new movie? Colleague told me today it is not even 3 hours long. Wonder how on earth they do that Laughing

Closed lad accounts loads
pony pony Mortar x46 United States 3x Canada Malaysia 2x Netherlands 2x Nigeria 2x Ghana 3x Ivory Coast 9x United Kingdom 3x Spain Bahamas, The Germany Australia Algerian Flag Togo 2x Cellphone Pretty Rose Safari 4 days of travel - 7 days stuck in airport
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I always wondered how they would manage to keep the movies reasonably similar in length to each other when the books end up being sooooo... much longer after book 3.

I'm off to see the film tonight, which I'm really looking forward to. Ever since I first read OotP I started thinking how awesome the big fight at the end would be in a movie.

In regards to the earlier comment about James Potter, from memory I thought it was fairly clear that Voldemort killed him before Lily, and then turned on Lily and baby Harry. If that's not the case though I'm open to being corrected.

FiveForces
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Never read any of the books or seen any of the films, but I saw J.K. Rowking on Jonathon Ross last week and thought she looked hot for a 40(ish) year old. Nice bank balance too, the perfect lady.

"GO AND DIE AND NOPT LIVE OK, YOU STUPID FOUL YOU TAKEW ME FOR PLAY? SEND YOUR SHIPPING INFO AND THAT ALL YOU TALK STUPID, SEND ME YOUR NUMBER THAT ALKL I NEED FROM YOU. NO NUKMBER GO AND DON;T SEND NO MONEY AND SEND HAVE NO PUPPY"
~ Bri Thany

"The whole situation is becoming ridiculous and absurd. Its hard to explain how a transaction that normally takes a few minutes to be concluded is starting to run into weeks."
~ Genesis Art & Craft

"you are treating me like a fool which is not supposed to be done"
~ Barryston Morgan

"I don't understand this...Its like you are playing on my intelligence."
~ Peter Roy
Simba
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

persephone wrote:

How long is the new movie? Colleague told me today it is not even 3 hours long. Wonder how on earth they do that Laughing

I think that its about 2 hrs 20 minutes, but I am sure that it will flash by.....

Safari=Mr Yetonde-Sierra Leone to Accra
Safari=Mr Jiullus-Abidjan to Accra to Kumasi to Tamale
Safari=Mr Dandy-Abidjan to Monrovia-SSC Liberia
Safari=Mr Mandela-Jo'burg to Maun-SSC Botswana
Safari=Mr Danka-Dakar to Bangul-SSC Gambia
Safari=Mr Twumasi-Accra to Cotonou-SSC Benin
Safari=Mr Gomer-Lagos to Douala to Parakou-SSC Cameroon & SSC Benin
SafariSafariSafari=Mr Chukwu-Lome to Accra to Koforidua. Lome to Lagos. Lome to Cotonou.

Ivory Coast Nigeria Sierra Leone Somolia Liberian Flag Gambia South Africa Kenya Angola Flag Guinea Bissau Burkina Faso Ghana Mali cameroon Benin Senegal Togo
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rintastic wrote:
So OoTP last night was AMAZING! Our movie was scheduled to begin at 12:01 a.m., we arrived at 9:30 and they let us sit in the theater...there were already over 40 people there then. Yes, yes, I know what was missing/overlooked/reworked/added. I was worried I would be disappointed because it is my favorite book, nothing to worry about Smile

I can't believe you sat in a theatre for two and a half hours waiting for a movie to start.... Shocked

Rintastic
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Yeahhhhh...we're kind of dorks, but like I said, there were a ton of people already there! And they had games and snacks, so we're not that bad Very Happy

Musicians and people who like musicians: We've started a forum for the exchange of ideas and sounds for bands around the world! Come check us out at www.oblivioninc.com!
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You'd have to be a pretty hardcore fan to do that - personally I get bored sitting in a theatre waiting more than 5 minutes before the movie starts. How many stars would you give the film?

Rintastic
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Four of Five. There were particular things I was looking forward to that didn't happen, but I was overwhelmingly happy with it. Can't wait to see it in 3D!

Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I guess squeezing a 760 odd page book into not much over two hours means that parts will always need to be left out. Generally that's a pity when it comes to books, but I'm anticipating that it'll be a good thing for OotP as I have felt like the book's a bit long-winded at times.

Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am claustrophobic and can't go to theatre. Sad

I went to library to get the first book and it was not in so they are reserving it for me. Cool

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
harrya
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

MY now 18yo would never read as he considered reading educational. His Older brother was an A grade student. I bought the younger one HP 1 when ist came out as I had heard an interview about it. He read that and has never
stopped reading since.

Big thumbs up from me. I think we all can do with a bit of magic in a lives from time to time.

I've read them all up to now and found them a light easy read for all ages.

I won't bother queuing up to get my hands on the final ut I will be getting it.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think what harry says does show the true greatness of Harry Potter - bringing back books to a generation (my generation and younger btw) raised on Playstation, DVDs and the internet. 9 year olds devouring 700 page novels - that's awesome!

KavinaMeliamne
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Eight wrote:
JK Rowling had the entire series of 7 plotted out before she started writing the first one.

There were just certain lines in the fourth line that smelled of "the fans asked this question and it's being answered in canon now". Or maybe I'm spoiled due to how Tamora Pierce does her series, where the books are more loosely connected and thus a lot of questions are left unanswered (which when she did it was just fine)...
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Would you like to elaborate on these lines? I'm curious Smile

KavinaMeliamne
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^

I don't remember much (I read book 4 around 6 years ago or so - oh goodness, that was middle school and I'm now in college! O.o) One that sticks out in my mind is when someone phonetically pronounces Hermione's name, to confirm once and for all whether it's three syllable (Her-mi-own) or four (Her-mai-oh-nee).
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm off to see the movie in a little over an hour - how exciting! Very Happy If I get a chance I'll post my thoughts on it, otherwise I shall do so tomorrow.

Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Break a leg!..wait...Have fun!

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
FredFlinstone
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

seeing the movie on the weekend Very Happy

Cellphone (x4)

FredFlinstone = cool
Fred Flintstone = must die!
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OK back from seeing the film. Cinema was sold out for a couple of sessions so I'm glad I booked well in advance! But anyway, what did I think of it?

Very very good in short. It's hard to say whether it was a better film than Goblet of Fire, because I enjoyed the book of Goblet of Fire so much it would have been so much easier to turn that into the great movie it was, as opposed to Order of the Phoenix, which as I said above is a little long-winded and at the same time quite a different book to the previous ones. That said, this film I felt was an exceptional adaptation of the book, making the very best out of the story and actually making me realise and remember all the good things about Order of the Phoenix and forget about the parts that annoyed me. It was easy to see the maturity coming through - from the actors but also from the adaptation of the film from the book. The early movies (particularly 1 & 2) obviously didn't have such depth to work with, as they were films aimed at a younger audience, but also weren't able to put the spin on the story which has made both Goblet of Fire and now Order of the Phoenix exceptionally fine films, at least in my opinion.

There were a few odd things skipped out, like Harry meeting Neville Longbottom's parents at the hospital and a couple of key parts involving Kreacher the nasty house-elf, but in the end squishing a 760 page book into what was still a pretty long film was obviously going to mean important bits were missed out. The new characters I felt were a mixed bunch: Luna Lovegood was awesome, much more likeable than in the book, and with a really cool accent (Irish or Welsh?) On the other hand I did find Umbridge annoying, rather than particularly nasty. I guess from the books there are key hints that Umbridge would a stickler for order in that kind of dotty old Aunt kind of way, but for such an evil character I really thought she would be a bit more nasty, rather than just mainly arrogant. Perhaps it was just the picture in my mind while reading the books that differed to that which was portrayed in the movie.

In the end it's obviously really well set up for the next movie in a year and a half's time. That has some more bits in it that I'm particularly looking forward to seeing on the screen (the cave for example). For now I'll just have to look forward to book 7 - which comes out in a little over a week now.

Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I worked out last night what I reckon's going to happen:

Harry's scar is going to turn out to be a horcrux that Voldermort created when killing harry's mum. So, either Harry's going to have to kill himself after destroying all the other horcruxes, or forever wrestle with part of Voldermort to keep the world safe from him.
Hence why Harry has a weird link with Voldermort, why the scar burns when he's around, etc.

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic