SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I may have sat by a 419er on the plane yesterday

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Eliza_Doolittle
"Warned for lad hugging"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This woman was trying to tell me about her company and how I should go to work for her. I pretended to be interested - took her business card...etc....and I will check it out. The thing is - she was telling me it's 100% risk free. It was so hard to sit by her and not smirk. I just pretended to be really interested. Now when I get a chance later, I'll check out her website. If it IS a scam, I'll be sure to share it with all of you who may also want to go to work for her. If it's not a scam - then she needs to change her sales pitch because it sounded like a memorized lad email.

vLad's ebay auction states "Wonderful seller! Thinks "out of the box" to get item to you."
<br>
starstar Ghana Easter Egg 2013

Vcamera <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrsRobinson419"> Click to see the videos Ed sent me.</a><br>
<A href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/index.html"> Eliza's lad quotes, photos, and audio files</a>
Mortar x12
*this sig icon has been censored* <br><a href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/809104_ML.pdf" > click here</a> for a Bank Account Transfer Form.
Golden Pith
Doctor X
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Does she go by the name "?"

Maybe she is recruiting you for a Multi-Level Marketing scheme--aka "Semi-Pyramid" scheme seen in HerbaLife, Amway, and others?

[Pontificate Mode]These are schemes where you sell products you buy from someone higher up the chain. The goal is to recruit people under you to buy the products from you to sell to the public.[/Pontificate Mode]

Please post if so, I know someone who researches/investigates these things, particularly if they involve "health supplements."

--J.D.

Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah the good old pyramind schemes. I listened to some guy talk about a scheme like that a year or so ago - along the lines of "you do a little bit of work, but then you get most of your money by getting other people to join.... and look how much you can earn if you get 500 people to join. OMG!"

It's quite hilarious the response you get when you say "hmm... that sounds a bit like a pyramid scheme.."

Doctor X
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^The hilarious film Go has a wonderful take on it. The actor's reaction to, "is this Amway?" and "isn't that a pyramid scheme?" are exactly that!

These people basically join a cult--and anyone interested in that sort of stuff I can send them to some discussions on that subject. In a way, there is an analogy to a scam and a bait. Everyone invests emotional currency in "a dream"--getting money. Every obstacle is seen as a test, and the more obstacles you surmount, the more you have invested emotionally into the "dream." If you invest time and $$$--which you do!--it becomes even harder to admit you have been had.

For MLM'ers, you have to recruit to make money on the deal. In the US, late-night "Paid Programing" is filled with these scams. Always there is some clown claiming he just walks to the mailbox and picks up his check for $$$$$. Sure, if he is on the top of the pyramid.

"How to lose friends and alienate people," because, like any cult, you need the validation of your social circle. Most people you know are not interested--and this includes family and friends. So you surround yourself with like-minded people. They tell you that your former friends and family are not "with it," are not interested in you, are "dream killers," or whatever the buzz-word is.

The more you sink in, the harder it is to emotionally climb out--you are sooooo close to "getting it."

Thus some of the scammers who fall for what seems like--in retrospect--utterly ridiculous baits The baiters have sold them the same paradigm . . . just a bit more and you will scam your victim; you will get your pay-day.

Obviously, if anyone has had to borrow to pay for expenses, it is even harder to get out.

Incidentally, those on the top of the MLM pyramid make their $$$ by selling the dream to you--like any cult leader. There are tapes/DVDs, books, and the all important seminars that tell you that you are special and everyone else is an idiot for not having your "vision," or whatever the buzz-word is.

--J.D.

Obi-Wan Knievel
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There are a great many scams out there, and the 419 is only one of them. Scamming was invented shortly after money was invented in ancient... wherever money was invented. Just like 419's, all scams start out with the "you can't lose" pitch and go from there.

In every legitimate business, from tradesmen fixing things to high-profile investors, there is always someone looking to "chop you dolla" if they can just convince you to pay that one little fee.
johnny5
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

For people not in the UK, or those who are but without digital tv, the BBC ran a series called The Real Hustle, which showcases all kinds of scams. Only "small" stuff compared to 419, but quick n easy scams.

You can watch some of then here
It is incredibly how insanely simple some of them are, and thus how easy it is to get a victim.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Eliza_Doolittle wrote:
I may have sat by a 419er on the plane yesterday

Was she on a safari? Laughing

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
TheGreatOok
Catbingo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Eliza you have some interesting luck. First you spot Nigerians scamming in an alleyway now you have a pyramid scheme person sitting next to you on a plane. Well, I guess it is your destiny to fight these a-holes. Very Happy

"I knew rigth from the first time you sent email to me that,you are a bloody *DELETED*" - Sgt Daniel Vess
"I NO BLAME U NA DI DIRTY TOTO WEN BORN U NA IM I BLAME. CATBINGO" - Lee Wong
"I AM EQUAL TO A MENTAL RETARDED PERSON" - Alvan Ben
"You have pushed me to the wall and i will make you smell yourself i bet." - George Martins
"THE FOOL STOLE YOUR US$755, HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO LEAVE ON THE PLANET" - Jim Ovia

pony pony - for a perfect brown nosing job. Wink

pony Mortar x4
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteSkype Name
Eliza_Doolittle
"Warned for lad hugging"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok what do you guys think:

http://owilliams.qhealthbeauty.com/Default.aspx

and http://www.wowisonline.com (it says password = wowis on the business card)

So you guys with more experience - is this a pyramid scheme? I am Not at all familiar with these things.

I just know if it sounds too good to be true - - it is. And her telling me over and over it was 100% risk free just about killed me. LOL Laughing

vLad's ebay auction states "Wonderful seller! Thinks "out of the box" to get item to you."
<br>
starstar Ghana Easter Egg 2013

Vcamera <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrsRobinson419"> Click to see the videos Ed sent me.</a><br>
<A href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/index.html"> Eliza's lad quotes, photos, and audio files</a>
Mortar x12
*this sig icon has been censored* <br><a href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/809104_ML.pdf" > click here</a> for a Bank Account Transfer Form.
Golden Pith
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, it's the old vitamin sales pitch. It's not a fraud, but it is essentially the Amway mode of selling.

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
DementedAngel
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

every time I hear a salesperson or person on commercial on tv say "100% risk free" I cant help but chuckle.

jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's all the same as Advacare, Herbalife, Amway and everything else, as others said. Not a scam in the sense you are paying for an actual product, but a scam in the prices you pay. It is all based on the pyramid scheme theories. This just isn't illegal because they do push product.

Omar Safari Edo-Abeche T.W.A.T
Adamu Safari Lagos-Abeche
Emi Safari- S Africa-Egypt-Sudan 10k miles
Chris Safari Jolly Roger Dakar-Niger-BF-Cameroon-Lagos-Mali-Nairobi 9.6k miles

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat
Ben Safari Safari Safari 2.5k miles

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2
Miss Behaving
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Everyone should steer completely clear of MLMs. They are very nasty. Evil or Very Mad

An excellent account of being 'had' by Amway is here: http://www.merchantsofdeception.com/DOWNLOADBOOK.html

(You do have to fill in the form, but I did and have never had any spam problems with the email addy I used.)

Although the page looks a bit hyperbolic and ranty, the actual pdf is quite balanced, readable, and fascinating.

As I said - steer WELL clear of MLMs.

3strikes_out
419Eater is my life

Location: Los Poblanos, Los Chilangos... de Durango...de Sonora...Sinaloa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have read the majority of people who make money with mlm's, make most of their money on the sale of books, tapes, seminars etc. and not the sale of the actual products. There is nothing worse than being trapped in a situation like Eliza was in.

But you see me holding this sign for you and still not impress for the work I did. -Kumal Umal

...you still went ahead to make more payment to them without my knowledge, well that is so disgosting. -Charles Soludo
Doctor X
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Is is a useful linkypoo to anyone interested in information on MLM

MLM Watch

Both Quixtar and Amway offer these products. From the above site, HERE is an article on the origins of Amway, Nutrilite--which the person sells--and MLM in general.

--J.D.

Ginch
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to work with an Amway disciple. He and his pals were like Pat Boone clones, all clad in polyester leisure suits and white patent leather shoes. And their eyes! Shocked

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Pretty scary thing to get involved with. I've heard of people who sell that and lose heaps of money each month because they don't sell enough stuff - you're forced to buy samples and other stuff like that..... No wonder they end up pissing off all their friends and family.

lucky777
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It seems like she's a minion (or a pawn, whatever floats your boat) of the Qiuxtar system. In other words, yup, definitely a pyramid scheme. This is the offspring of Amway.(read the wiki) Apparently they are going to re-name Qiuxtar Amway again later.
http://owilliams.qhealthbeauty.com/Help/About.aspx
http://www.quixtar.com/products/content.aspx?pid=1956
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quixtar
Doctor X
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

yrubraj wrote:
Pretty scary thing to get involved with. I've heard of people who sell that and lose heaps of money each month because they don't sell enough stuff. . . .

Yup! You basically have to find a ready customer to buy the stuff off of you. That is some poor slob who becomes your seller. EVERYONE becomes a potential customer or, better, a potential seller for you! This is how you lose friends and family--trying to bring them in and then seeing them as "dream killers" or "negativists" or something.

Well, if this crap was so fantastic, so "it sells itself!" why do we not see "Amway Stores" everywhere?

Again, the film Go! is worth it just for the scenes with the MTM people.

--J.D.

Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

(Sorry bit offtopic)

http://www.internetcashcourse.com/

Got sent this link by a friend is it MLM? obviously not going to join, but is it a scam?

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
Luther Blissett
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^
Internetcashcourse website wrote:
You will receive an automated turn-key money making system

Seeing that was enough for me to say, yes, it's a form of MLM. You pay your money to join, they give you a clone of their website and ask you to recruit other people to join, etc. pp.

No real product, no real service, just empty hype and a big pyramid...

Banks: Ivory Coast Netherlands United Kingdom Ghana United Nations x1 Nigeria x2 Law Firms: South Africa United Kingdom Nigeria x1 Misc. Mugu Pooh: United Kingdom China x1 United Nations x2 HYIPs: pyramid x25 Phonelad Websites: Cellphone x6

Donate the Nurse, the Eater needs Pants... Err? * Scamwarners.com * Artists against 419 * Kill HYIPs & Ponzi Scams!
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Dr X

I just about lost a good friend through Amway, or something similar. A few years back his girlfriend got him into it, selling energy drinks I think, and he spent hours trying to convince me that I'd make thousands through it, and using every form of guilt trip available to try and make me join.

It was a very uncomfortable evening.

Doctor X
** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^yrubraj:

I just read a section of a forum which dealt with some of the practices of MLM. I first encountered them after having studied cults and the like, so once I read up on them it was like reading about another cult. The same tactics.

It is tragic. These things play on the hopes of victims. Sure, people should be responsible for their actions--just like I suppose 419 victims should search a bit to find out that it is too good to be true. However, scammers play on the belief that most people thing others are honest and not trying to screw them.

So MLM people come as your friend to tell you that you are special.

One of the elements of true "brain washing" is to control the environment of the victim--prevent them from seeing contrary viewpoints. This is why cults isolate people or denigrate contrary views. The seminars of MLM serve to do just that--bring the sheep together to tell one another that the reality they see is "real." They all talk about how friends and families "opposed them, but LOOK!! THEY are working 9-5 for nothing!"

Sorry, I see I am ranting.

--J.D.

Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ The most annoying thing was that this guy had been a friend of mine for about 10 years beforehand. That's what made it so uncomfortable.

XPS1710
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

yrubraj:
I can empathise. A relative of my husbands got into some Goji selling MLM thingymabob. Every time you saw her it was all about that, and how we could make oh so much money, blah blah blah.

It became so uncomfortable, we accidentally forgot to tell her our new address when we moved.

I know it sounds nasty of us, but honestly, there is only so much hard-sell you can cope with in a limited period of time.

I really dislike the real drones tho. They are so suave, and make it all sound so amazing. IMO, they are more convincing than Lads.

Its like dealing with a legitimate lad.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic