SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Aren't cold callers brilliant!!!

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Sgt Cho
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I dont buy into the "Just making money" line. Get a job where I am not being bothered at dinner time. Thats all it is, telemarketers lose my sympathy at the point they decided to invade my home.

but enough ranting, and more on fun things to do to telemarketers.

Anti telemarketing whistle. If I dont have time to bait them (and there is no-one in the house, I usually blow a pea whistle down the phone at them.

Ask pointless questions, if they are selling me a phone, camera, or wok, I always want it in fuscia, then change my mind and want it in beige.

and my favorite:

Get the manager on the line, and abuse the * out of him. I dont see any reason why the manager should be in a position like that, and get abused less, The telemarketers are the soldiers, the managers are the officers. I like to do R Lee Ermey impersonations down the line at them.

So give them hell!!

'call me what ever you like my God is biger than yours amen' bekija zuma

'why is the government allowing people like you to live among human beings. People like you are suppose to be at the zoo.' janice churton

'Please come and f* me my love,your bobs are driving me crazy' EO

Cellphone x 88 Mortar x2
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

it wasn't me wrote:
Remember, however much of a pain in the arse they are, they're still humans who are off their butts trying to earn a living as opposed to sitting on them getting money from the goverment.

I agree as well. That's why my favourite idea isn't abusing them or anything else like that - rather just leaving them sitting on an empty line for ages. If I was the telemarketer and was just earning by the hour I'd probably much rather waste 15 minutes listening to someone's kitchen than having to make more phone calls and getting random abuse from them.

The best of both worlds really, you waste their time in a pleasant manner.

B. A. Ware
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Remember, however much of a pain in the arse they are, they're still humans who are off their butts trying to earn a living as opposed to sitting on them getting money from the goverment.

Do the lads get money from the Gov?

If I want to buy something I will go buy it. DON'T COME TO ME and expect me to be friendly. I'm not saying the people calling are bad. However I think the companies that hire them are no better than the scammers. They have no right to call me and then get angry if I'm not interested in what they have to sell.

I don't want to take a bunch of shit about this so please read that again. They have no right to get angry if I'm not interested.
Josh
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I imagine most telemarketers are quite OK with people who just say "sorry not interested" and hang up. They probably don't like their head being bitten off every 3 or 4 calls, although a bit of friendly time-wasting is probably all good with them. I imagine if a telemarketer got into a crazy conversation with someone trying to waste their time and drag them off-topic it could be the highlight of their day.

Gaz
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I done telesales for 3 weeks when I was out of work a few years back (to be fair, I was unemployed and my Girlfriend was three months pregnant so I had to make a living somehow until I found a decent job)

I hate to admit it, but even now, I still toy with these people when they call me. I especially like the Credit Card ones, where at the end of the call, I ask.."By the way, Im bankrupt...will that affect my application?" Laughing

"Also believe in the Nectarines and hail them as my eternal forefathers and universal leaders"- Sir Frederick MacGregor

"THIS NONSENSE ACT OF YOURS HAS CAUSED ME LOOSING UP TO $350 USD ALL TOGETHER TO GET TO KASTINA SINCE ON MONDAY!!"- Barrister Usman Bello

"WHAT HELL ARE YOU ? YOU ARE A MAD MAN, YOU NEED TO BE CURED BY YOUR OCCULTIC MEMBERS, I CAN SEE THAT THEY HAVE TAKEN YOUR BRAIN" - Barrister Harry Brown

"YOU ARE GOING STUPID , ARE YOU OUT OF YOU MIND ? YOU FOOLISH WHITE MONKEY AND YELLOW PIG."- Barrister Isa Usman

www.mustdestroy419.talkspot.com
Safari - 600 Miles from Lagos to Katsina
Mortar x12
Goldry Bluszco
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I sell on the phone for a living. And I earn lots and lots and lots of commission. I am not ashamed of it, neither am I one of the mugs you lot seem to think inhabits this world. Like all jobs, there are good and bad ones.

I think that some of the comments are ignorant and stupid. I have found that people who earn a lot of money in commission, like me, do find envious souls who aren't capable of selling, making silly comments like this. So belt up.

pony
Papa Lazarou
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I cannot stand cold callers, it was especially annoying when I used to work night shifts. Everyone with my phone number knew not to call me during the day unless there was a valid reason to wake me up. Cold callers forced me to unplug my phone during the day. It's difficult enough to try and live your life that way; having to cut yourself off completely makes it unbearable.
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@MTH

Everybody has the right to earn a living in whatever legal manner that they choose. I don't dispute that.

What DOES annoy me are cold callers/telemarketers that ring me when I've registered with the TPS. In that case they deserve every twist of the knife. I find their manners almost as appalling as their command of the English language.

Now where did I put my Acme Thunderer?

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
Goldry Bluszco
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I sell in the B2B sector and have myself been called by people trying to sell phones, insurance, double glazing, insurance, loans, etc. I have never ever found them to be over the top, and just telling them I'm not interested does the trick. Mind you, one or two I have attempted to recruit for my business, and that does get rid of them rather quickly. However, if you have registered with TPS, they really shouldn't be calling you. I'm not at all worried about you being rude to these callers, but the tone of sneering at people in general who sell things, whether on the phone or in your local shop, is just plain wrong bucko.

Whatever business you are in, whatever business, the whole thing always starts with a sale. Remember that.

pony
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Telemarketing isn't a low pressure job no matter what you are selling, commission or not. Apart from the abuse they have to endure they also have to meet stringent targets set by their employers for calls made, sales made, add-ons sold, etc etc. It has driven some call centre employees to nervous collapse or in some cases even suicide.

I know I couldn't do it because I know I'd snap back if someone became rude or abusive. HOWEVER, the no-call register is there for a reason and if people on it continue to receive these calls they are entitled to be annoyed.

I am also still fascinated to know exactly how many people actually agree to a new cellphone plan, a new insurance policy, a new kitchen, a time-share condo, etc just because someone calls them up (during dinner usually) and says they can have one.

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

<br>As the OP on this thread, I didn't intend it to degenerate (probably not the right word) into a pro/anti telemarketing debate.

However, as I said before, I don't have a problem with them. What I do have a problem with is that they, for whatever reasons, flaunt the law by calling me when I'm on the TPS.

Whoever invented call centers and the other genius that decided to site them offshore should be put up against a wall and shot. Or maybe forced to listen to their own scripts ad nausium until their ears bleed.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik

Papa Lazarou
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My Toe Hurts wrote:
the tone of sneering at people in general who sell things, whether on the phone or in your local shop, is just plain wrong bucko.

That's true. I'm a salesman in a shop, you can't do anything right! Some customers will flip out when you approach them, saying they can't get a minute's peace. Others will stand as far away from you as possible and march over to complain that they haven't been approached. Then they ask for advice, which is often ill-received.

I used to work in a hotel, easy job; checking people in. Making them a coffee if they were left waiting in reception for some reason. I used to get several complimentary letters each week for the service.

Working in sales is a thankless task. This job demands so much more of me. When the company screws up, I'd deliver products to customers in my own time. They refuse to buy support services but come running to me instead, I oblige them time and time again. I haven't had one letter of thanks, rather, several complaints for things beyond my control or beyond my call of duty.
Papa Lazarou
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

On the subject of cold-callers. I was always interested by the fact that an old colleague and friend of mine used to work in an advance fee fraud scheme in the UK. She worked in a leased office, calling people in the telephone directory and telling them they had won a Holiday. She told me that she worked in that job for about 8 months and the office relocated about 4 times.

Sadly, I have lost touch with her now. I remember a few times trying to find out more about the scheme but she was ashamed of it and didn't like to talk about it.
Goldry Bluszco
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Tommo, fair enough, no slanging match. But if I said that everyone who writes computer software for a living are geeky twats with no social skills and are just embarassing to be around, what kind of reaction would that provoke? Rolling Eyes

pony
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well you'd get a Thumbs up from me! I live with one.........

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My Toe Hurts wrote:
... But if I said that everyone who writes computer software for a living are geeky twats with no social skills and are just embarassing to be around, what kind of reaction would that provoke? Rolling Eyes

I'm sure Bill would be very upset. That aside, I suppose none of us would be hanging around here if it wasn't for them.

I don't want to fall out with anybody. I just posted it because my privacy was invaded.

Healthy debate is a good thing.

[Edit] BTW I like the word 'twat' almost as much as I like the word 'numpty', which I like very much indeed. Next time one of my lads e-mails me..."Dear Twat"....

FireWyrm
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When I was 16 I was forced to leave college by circumstances beyond my control. Namely, my father was made redundant after a stroke left him paralysed down the left side. My mother had long since decamped for warmer climates and it was just him and me. I had a handful of good GCSE's but no A levels since I had to leave before the exams. My father forbade me to leave but since we were struggling to pay the bills, it seemed like a no-brainer to me. Anyway, all I had was my intelligence and the burning desire to eat. I ended up in a one room office with about 200 other cold callers just working down a list of names and numbers. We were subcontracted to British Gas and it was our job to try to get people changed over. My employment was based on commission only and I didnt even have a minimum wage to fall back on (there wasnt one then). In short, if I didnt make my quota of calls, I got fired. If I didnt make my quota of sales, I got fired, if I left, I might not get another job and I sure as hell wouldnt be able to afford the weekly food bill let alone the rest of the fixed bills. I hated that job with a passion. I went home every night and cried because of the stress. Not only was I receiving stress from my managers (all on a fixed wage) but if I didnt meet my quota I didnt get paid and we went hungry. Every nasty call caused more depression and desperation as I struggled each minute with the knowledge that the people who messed me around or were rude were costing me pay and the comfort and welfare of those I cared about. I had no family, I had no-one else to fall back on, I couldnt borrow the money to live at 16 and I had no choice but to do this rotten job.

Apart from a very lucky few, most people do these jobs because they have no choice. They do it to make ends meet and put food on the table. They work all the hours they can and after a telemarketing shift they often go onto night shifts in factories (like I did). My first week was a disaster because I just couldnt get the hang of the script since I didnt believe a word of it either. It wasnt until I realised that it was them or me that I started to get the swing of it. I hated the job and as soon as something else came up I took it.

I am never rude to telemarketters. I tell them that I am not interested and that I am on the TPS. That's all you need to do. Dont lead them on because you are cutting into their call stats and their pay. The time that you talk to them, the could be talking to someone else. Just tell them NO and leave it at that. Dont make a s***t job any harder or more stressful because you are fortunate enough to have a fixed wage position. Some people are not so lucky.

"SCHOOLS FOR THE DEAF/DUMPS" - Frank
"I will not live long since my ailment has defiled all forms of medical treatment" - Victoria
PLEASE IGNORE ANY FURTHER MESSAGE FROM CHARLES OR WHATEVER FOR GOODNESS SAKE.!!! - FRANK AGAIN
so how do you want me to beat trust in you now??? (I think I've annoyed him - Frank again)

Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone Cellphone
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Interesting to hear the other side of the story but despite several requests in this and other threads and forums I STILL haven't received an answer to the fundamental question.

How successful IS cold calling? Do people really sign up there and then for a new bathroom, gas supplier, holiday, etc etc??? I have NEVER known anyone who said "Yes, I'm very happy with my new super dooper phone plan. I got it interest free from a bloke who phoned me out of the blue from a call centre. I was perfectly happy with my previous plan but this one is so much better". I know that cold calling must be effective or else people wouldn't do it, but I've yet to see/read the empirical evidence.

Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ChocolateChip_Wookie wrote:
Dont make a s***t job any harder or more stressful because you are fortunate enough to have a fixed wage position. Some people are not so lucky.

Sadly, I don't have that opportunity. I'm unemployed.

Goldry Bluszco
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I got into telephone sales because I couldn't find a job doing what I had been doing since I left college, and I had a mortgage, no kids then, and bills to pay. I was lucky, it turned out I was quite good at it, but I see plenty who fail for many different reasons.

But you don't need to be horrible to these people...

And yes it does work. It rarely works for the people doing the calling, but if you put enough arses on seats, bashing away on the phone, then the sales do come in and it works for the companies who are selling the products, whatever they are.

Being a bit old and crusty, I am astonished that spamming brings in results, but it must, why else is it done? And, 419 scamming, some people are taken in... Incredible.

pony
FireWyrm
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tommo Shanter wrote:
ChocolateChip_Wookie wrote:
Dont make a s***t job any harder or more stressful because you are fortunate enough to have a fixed wage position. Some people are not so lucky.

The turn over in telemarketing is phenomenal, there are never any shortage of jobs there. My story wasnt unique. I knew people who worked telemarketing during the day and then pulled 12 hour night shifts in factories. Believe me, factories with heavy machiney and hobbled safety cut outs (matchsticks holding down safety buttons for instance) are no places to be working when you are tired.

As to the effectiveness, suprisingly high once you get the hang of it. It wasnt our job to change people, just to book an appointment with a rep who would do that bit for us. 9 times out of 10, if you could book an appointment, the spot rep would make the conversion. I averaged 5 appointments an hour which I am sure you will agree was going some. The pay was appalling though and even 5 appointments an hour didnt pay the bills. My first week, I managed �100 pay.

"I will not live long since my ailment has defiled all forms of medical treatment" - Victoria
PLEASE IGNORE ANY FURTHER MESSAGE FROM CHARLES OR WHATEVER FOR GOODNESS SAKE.!!! - FRANK AGAIN
so how do you want me to beat trust in you now??? (I think I've annoyed him - Frank again)

FiveForces
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Have we got another ethics thread here? Razz

Anyway, I enjoy getting the double glazers round for a quote early on Saturdays, the day when I'm barely ever at home Laughing

"GO AND DIE AND NOPT LIVE OK, YOU STUPID FOUL YOU TAKEW ME FOR PLAY? SEND YOUR SHIPPING INFO AND THAT ALL YOU TALK STUPID, SEND ME YOUR NUMBER THAT ALKL I NEED FROM YOU. NO NUKMBER GO AND DON;T SEND NO MONEY AND SEND HAVE NO PUPPY"
~ Bri Thany

"The whole situation is becoming ridiculous and absurd. Its hard to explain how a transaction that normally takes a few minutes to be concluded is starting to run into weeks."
~ Genesis Art & Craft

"you are treating me like a fool which is not supposed to be done"
~ Barryston Morgan

"I don't understand this...Its like you are playing on my intelligence."
~ Peter Roy
Goldry Bluszco
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tommo Shanter wrote:

Ahem, why not try telesales?

pony
FireWyrm
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My Toe Hurts wrote:
Tommo Shanter wrote:

Ahem, why not try telesales?

I was going to say that and then thought better of it.

Goldry Bluszco
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Remember to be nice to people!! I might as well share this story with you, I�ve tried to remember it word for word, and at the time it made me laugh. A few years ago me and the wife bought a brand spanking new house, lovely. Not long after we moved in, only a few weeks, I had a sales call, it went something like this:

Me: �Hello�
Caller: �Hello, my name is Ashar from (some double glazing company). I�m not selling anything, but we have representatives in your area next week and I would like to give you a free quote to replace your windows.�
Me: �I don�t need new windows, this is a brand new house.�
Ashar: �Brand new?�
Me: �Yes brand new, I just moved in.�
Ashar: �The windows, they are new too?�
Me: �Absolutely.�
Ashar: �How are the fascias?�
Me: �No idea.�
Ashar: �What?�
Me: �I don�t know what fascias are.�
Ashar: �Okay, so can we pop round and give you a quote for some new ones?�
Me: �I don�t know what they are, but whatever they are, they will be new. All of this house is new.�
Ashar: �And the sofits?�
Me: �Listen, don�t get technical. I don�t know what they are either. Whatever they are, like the fascias, they are going to be new.�
Ashar: �Okay, bye.�
Wife in background: �Who was that?�
Me: �Your mother.�

I make myself laugh sometimes...

pony
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic