SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

QUESTION: Should we be closing Lads accounts after baits?

View next topic
View previous topic

ryder
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

QUESTION: Should we be closing Lads accounts after baits?

I've been refered to William$ Kut who will be acting as my 'laywer' and preparing my paperwork. I decided to do a search in the forums to see if anyone else was baiting him only to find a thread which is over 3 years old noting the same baiter who is still using the same name and the same email address.

Shouldn't we be acting to have the accounts of these long term scammers closed after baits?? Surely closing an account would result in a mugu losing most of his contact details. His database and current 'real' scams would disappear over night and he'd have to start fresh. I know that lads usually keep records of their baits etc, so not everything for them will be lost, but surely it would mean that all the lads 'seeding' i.e. posting on websites for vitcims etc. would become worthless.

Am I just being short sighted here?

Rikki

Last edited by ryder on Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
YeaWhatever
unimaginable bastard pig
unimaginable bastard pig

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No. It may be tempting but do not do it. In the event that law enforcement is monitoring a lad (yes, they sometimes do), you are destroying a potential source of valuable information.

Safari<i>"i have arrive safe in namibia"</i> - Tony Kalabi - The Road to the Skeleton Coast
Safari<i>"he is in aswan"</i> - Larry Ken - The Road to Abu Sunbul
Safari The Road to the Hot Zone</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89779" target="_blank"> The Making of a TWAT</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100535" target="_blank"> The Second Coming of TWAT</a>
Golden Pith Mortar x17
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This topic comes up every few months with well intentioned baiters wanting to close down the lads' boxes as they imagine it will do them much harm.

However, in the end, it does not and you don't know who else may be baiting that lad and you can end up killing off their bait. Now, you may think that's not a very good reason to keep it alive, but there are other considerations at hand, i.e. letting the lad know he was burned -- it will only make him more careful in the future (i.e. keeping better track of his victim information in a safer box).

The enemies we know are better than the ones we do not.

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
Zen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As JMRazor says, this topic comes up regularly but there is no harm going over it again for the benefit of newer members.

The consensus here is not to close lad accounts, by a margin of 95% to 5%, or thereabouts. See this old thread

If I thought that closing a lad's account would help genuine victims who are on the hook, I would want to close them myself, even if it could harm ongoing baits. A real loss by a real victim counts more than a fun bait, IMO. However, my conclusion is that the scammers suffer only minor inconvenience - they usually get the victim's phone number early in the game, in case email boxes are lost, and they can also try to re-establish contact through an alternative box.

I also know of cases where police investigations have been hampered by a sudden box closure and loss of its contents. OK, it's rare, but it has happened.

Warned you're writing to a scammer? Just say "Thanks, I'm a baiter" (ScamWarners.com)
419eater FAQ/rules: http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846
"Tell me what you want to do
And I can make it up for you
And lie" Ticket to Lie, by Texas
firehouse5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In my early days I was very excited about closing accounts, and I did it with relish wherever possible. Only.... the scammers virtually always got back to me from a different account. It seems they're quite keen to keep records elsewhere, just in case. So all that happens most of the time is that the scammer loses one of their huge collection of free accounts. Probably more time and effort to close the account than it was for them to open ten more.

TV StarMortar dozens Closed lad accounts Not as many piggies as you.
The details you sent do not match, check your records and reply immediate. I have forced to wait in office for two hours with out eating
HitchHiker
Lotta's Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You only have to look at how hard it was for you to open your fake accounts. Thats the amount of damage you are likely to do to the scammer. Is it really worth it?
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There are some scam busting sites that list scammer email addys and some potential victims will find the scammer's email and name there. Closing accounts makes it more difficult to keep track of the names and email addys and may make victims more vulnerable.

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The only accounts we close are those of phone lads. Those little buggers open them up again so quickly and the bait isn't normally long term, it makes no difference to other baiters.

Closing a regular lad's account is a no-no.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In addition to all the good reasons stated above, also please remember that although your bait may be over, someone elses may not be Wink

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
Red
Flag Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Damn straight!

My mate Ch3ng Z3ng had his account closed today.

Absolutely hilarious because his "barrister" had to tell me his new account when i demanded to know why i hadn't heard from him.

Then, old Ch3ng emails me from the new account saying "i had to set up a new account for security reasons, can you please send me the loan application forms again" hahaha! yeah... right! stupid fool lost the forms... well fat chance i'm filling those out.

So he got some nice slaps for his incompetence, i mean, i've got $3mil riding on this!
justjay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Agree with the above about not closing the email accounts. And was guilty of the 'enthusiasm' of starting out..

The only email accounts that should be closed would be the ones listed online in the fake websites (which is already part of the process (aa419) of closing down the websites anyways)

Mugu Resellerpyramid Closed lad accountsAustraliaUnited StatesUnited KingdomNetherlandsSwitzerlandGhanaBelgiumChinaNigeriaSpain
Ivory CoastCanadaBurkina FasoSenegalHong KongSouth AfricaEuropean UnionBahamas, TheBeninMalaysiaGermanyItalyTogo|¿?|
Over 1000 - no longer counting since sometime in 2008 + #unknown# assists
WDPRs >150 Netcraft>115
----
pony pony pony - just because...
Canadon Alfa
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with all the above, and plus it can be fun to pass on your mugu to another baiter for another round of punishment! Very Happy

"I pray that the gorillas will not destroy the slip i.e. the customers copy." -- Div1ne Ok0ye

Closed lad accounts Closed lad accounts Closed lad accounts Closed lad accounts Closed lad accounts Closed lad accounts Closed lad accounts Closed lad accounts Closed lad accounts Closed lad accounts

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic