SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Need some help from the Brits

View next topic
View previous topic

jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So I just started watching the original British version of The Office. Great show, both the American and the British. Some of the vernacular is a bit lost on me. For one, he keeps saying “Innit?”. Does that just mean “Isn’t it”? I turned on the subtitles to see what that actually was and it was spelled innit.

Also, on the American version, the boss has a saying “That’s what she said”. This always comes after anyone says anything remotely off colour. The equivalent saying on the British version seems to be “As the actress says to the Bishop”. I know it is some kind of entendre, but WHAT THE HECK DOES THAT MEAN??!?!?!

Any other Office fans here, British or American version? I think they are both great. The American version, IMO, does a better job establishing the other characters. They don’t have too much of a role in the British one. Nevertheless, I have spent hours upon hours laughing at that show.

Omar Safari Edo-Abeche T.W.A.T
Adamu Safari Lagos-Abeche
Emi Safari- S Africa-Egypt-Sudan 10k miles
Chris Safari Jolly Roger Dakar-Niger-BF-Cameroon-Lagos-Mali-Nairobi 9.6k miles

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat
Ben Safari Safari Safari 2.5k miles

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jojobean wrote:
Does that just mean “Isn’t it”?

Yes, that's right, JoJo, "innit" is just the same as saying "ain't it" which is the same as "Isn't it".

jojobean wrote:
As the actress says to the Bishop”

That's like a sexual inuendo type remark, like if you said to a garage mechanic holding a large wrench, hey, that's a big tool you've got there, "as the actress said to the bishop", that sort of thing.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Having worked in a very similar office in Slough (the location of the UK version) I can tell you it's absolutely spot on. I've watched both series and have to say that being a Brit the UK version is better, if only because it makes me cringe more. David Brent is the colleague/wanker I had to suffer for 3 years. Ditto Gareth and Keith The Accountant.

Ricky Jervais is a genius.

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I turned on the subtitles to see what that actually was and it was spelled innit.

Laughing Laughing

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think that 'Innit' would translate roughly as 'you know what I'm sayin' in American slang. Just insert it at random points into a conversation.

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It is a great show. I hated it the first couple times I saw it. Everyone kept telling me how funny it is. I watched a bit here and there and could not stand it. But then my sister bought me the first season. So I decided to watch it. I got hooked. Went out the next day and bought season 2. Then I bought the British version. It is a bit darker and more crass than the American version. Tim is almost a little depressing at times.

Actually TS, the first couple episodes I watched I had to turn on the subtitles. A couple of them were really hard to understand to me. But, after one or two shows my ears adjusted. I am from the South so people speak slowly here. Hehe. I go to Ireland to visit friends there and it usually takes a day or two to adjust, then I am speaking just like them.

Jojo- I wasn't having a dig at you that you had to turn on the subtitles. I was just amused by the literal approach that the subtitler took. Wink TS

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2
Tommo Shanter
Swiss Toni

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The actor who played accountant Keith in the UK version used to contribute a column to our monthly employee magazine at PwC. I don't work there anymore and I NEVER eat Scotch eggs. Shocked

The Office is what I call 'car crash TV'. You really don't like to look but can't help slowing down to check out the carnage.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I understand Lesley Charteris' The Saint books used the actress and bishop line quite often.

It's very useful for pulling a totally innocent conversation into the sewer, ideally a remark will be made in all innocence and the joker replies "as the actress said the the bishop" (or vice-versa as appropriate,) prompting mild embarrassment and salacious tittering all round.

"Give me about six inches." ... as the actress said the the bishop.
"Any time is fine; I've got nothing on." ... as the actress said the the bishop.
"It's a bit rusty, but it should still work OK." ... as the bishop said to the actress.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Most of the characters in the UK Office have PERFECT Slough/Reading accents. It's a very small area about 40miles west of London but it's one of the amazingly specific things about British accents. It's a small country but if you are 'tuned in' you can pick where someone comes from to within a few miles sometimes.

After to you have watched both UK series get hold of the Christmas Special extended episode. It's a great finale (not saying anything else).

windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jojo, If you like David Brent you should check out Alan Partridge

Ricky Gervais gets really hacked off when Americans insist on pronouncing his last name "Jer-vei". Laughing Check out Extras by him too.

"No amount of semen donation will save this situation" Sanny Sanny
"We must disagree to agree" Raji Musa

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How many seasons are there? I just have one and two. Is the Christmas episode on a separate set?

The actress/bishop comment is very similar then to the "That's what she said" thing then.

"How was your day?" Arrow "It was long and hard" Arrow "That's what she said"

Same concept then.

The setting for the American version seems to be quite similar. I have family there and I spent a lot of time, great location for the show.

Do you guys have problems understanding the American accents on our TV shows?

Goat

marty
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

gervais was great in the office, packed full of cringey moments & looks, alot of it was very subtle.
having watched both seasons of the american version i actually like it more, carroll is hilarious, any line Creed has is gold Laughing
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The actress/bishop line is very old British music-hall innuendo comedy. Think Monty Python 'nudge-nudge wink-wink' and you wont be far off.

We get a lot of U.S. television here (mainly the best) so we don't have much of a problem. It's quite funny watching something like 'Friends' using British in-jokes but having to explain the meaning to their own audience.

"No amount of semen donation will save this situation" Sanny Sanny
"We must disagree to agree" Raji Musa

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
benjaminbunny
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

And talking of 'friends', the UK equivalent 'Coupling' is one of my favourites, and if you like weird UK humour, then Black Books is good too

Scamwarners.com Advice and info about scams
Jolly Roger pony
Shiver Metimbers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jojobean wrote:
How many seasons are there? I just have one and two. Is the Christmas episode on a separate set?

There are two seasons of The Office. The Christmas Special is a separate DVD.

----------------------------------
Shiver's scammer trophies.
----------------------------------
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

benjaminbunny wrote:
And talking of 'friends', the UK equivalent 'Coupling' is one of my favourites, and if you like weird UK humour, then Black Books is good too

I was going to ask about Coupling... there is an advert on my Office DVD about that show. I figured it was a Friends type show, which I quite enjoy. My wife and I spent months watching all of the Friends episodes after I got her the complete set for her birthday. Great show. I might have to check out Coupling if I can find it here.

Goat

Pachanga
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The last time I was in London, a travel guide told me there is a 5% difference in the words used in the UK and the US. But when I watched The Full Monty, I was convinced it was more than 5%. I could understand about 90% of Absolutely Fabulous. Very Happy

Closed lad accounts

Click here to support 419Eater.com
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jojobean wrote:
"How was your day?" Arrow "It was long and hard" Arrow "That's what she said"

Yea im sure thats what the actress said to the bishop.

Usage: person 1 says something with 2 meanings EG. "it was really long and hard"
person 2 "said the actress to the bishop"

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
wayne
Account closed at users request

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you like The Office, check this out. I still can't decide if it's real or fake, but it's utterly brilliant!!

http://imdb.com/title/tt0775350/

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have yet to see a full episode of The Office, always keep forgetting when it is on. Confused

The part that say on Youtube that makes me want to watch it is when they had the office "team building exercises" playing Call of Duty! Razz

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
Spudz
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The office is brilliant, but i`ve never seen the American version,
I think the point with Tim being depressing is the fact that he hates his job and the people he has to work with, but he needs the money and also because of his crush on Dawn, the secretary so he sticks with it,
Gareth is brilliant, "I`m in the T.A. i know 50 different ways to kill a man"!! and he`s skinnier than me! his chat up lines are brilliant "When you`re finished with Tim I`ll be here for you, but make sure to clean up down there, i`m not into sloppy seconds"

Javed Main:I received your e-mail message but cannot read very well due to the injection I took last night/Please for Gods sake i would'nt like you to address my bank as feck/You are a priest and you are bold enough to tell me that you took 3 bottles of the finest whiskey/Please i am not ready to take more of your insult.

NIGERIA HE GOAT
IF YOU EVER SEND THIS TYPE OF THINGS TO MY EMAIL;; I WILL SHOW MY SELF TO YOU BASTAD NIGERIA HE GOAT....F*CK OFF AND DIE OF UNGER

YOU ARE SUCH A NONENTITY, I NEVER KNEW PEOPLE LIKE YOU STILL IN EXISTENCE. WHAT AN INGLORIOUS BASTARD ARE YOU?

Closed lad accounts x 10-2x33/8 you do the hokey cokey and you turn around and that's what it's all about
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh yeah, the TA!!! What is that? Like a volunteer army?

Goat

Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Wayne, The Armstrongs is real and yes, it is very funny.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Spudz
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Exactly, Territorial Army, much the same as the National Guard,

I just found this, http://www.wernhamhogg.co.uk/

Javed Main:I received your e-mail message but cannot read very well due to the injection I took last night/Please for Gods sake i would'nt like you to address my bank as feck/You are a priest and you are bold enough to tell me that you took 3 bottles of the finest whiskey/Please i am not ready to take more of your insult.

NIGERIA HE GOAT
IF YOU EVER SEND THIS TYPE OF THINGS TO MY EMAIL;; I WILL SHOW MY SELF TO YOU BASTAD NIGERIA HE GOAT....F*CK OFF AND DIE OF UNGER

YOU ARE SUCH A NONENTITY, I NEVER KNEW PEOPLE LIKE YOU STILL IN EXISTENCE. WHAT AN INGLORIOUS BASTARD ARE YOU?

Closed lad accounts x 10-2x33/8 you do the hokey cokey and you turn around and that's what it's all about
Saint Arnold
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Speaking of the accents, as we were somewhere above.... Years ago I (currently a Texas resident, like Jojobean from the deep south) spent a week working at the Compaq factory in Glasgow. Some of the folks there took me to a play called "Sex, Chips, and Ouzo". I couldn't understand a word that the actors said until my ears adjusted well into the second act.... after the play, the locals that had taken me told me that the actors were speaking some old form of the language, and they hadn't understood all the dialog either.... what chance did I have??

</threadjack>

Yeah, The Office is pretty damn funny. I've never seen the British version, though. We're currently on a Scrubs kick at Casa Krona, another very funny show.

Our legal team are on standby for the next line of action in this very interesting case.already they are still studying the MTCN number that you sent,it will be used as evidence together with your full names and address,when this epic battle commences. - the one and only Charles Soludo

--------------------------
Cellphone x15 (RIP) United Kingdom x7 South Africa x1
Safari Lottery lad, Benin City - Abuja Safari A new minister, Lagos-Benin City Safari The same minister, Lagos - Tamale, Ghana
Safari Dr. Johnson - Abidjan-Abuja and back again (so far! - 1666 miles round trip)

pony <----because life can seem bleary and bleak without one. TS
pony Because Lotta is a great and beautiful mod!
Mortar x21

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic