SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I have been such a dumb ass

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Dvorak
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I tried to buy something on ebay, I contacted the seller and gave him an offer. He accepted the offer and said he would end the auction on reciept of payment, he gave me paypal details and said the account was his wifes. I sent the payment highlighting in the comments box what the payment was for to keep a trail. The paypal account owner said she knows nothing of the item, nor the sellers name. however is the payment got anything to do with a Mr XXXXX. I sent a mail confirming it was for an ebay item, to which she replied, I know nothing of this sale or item, we have been scammed and I will give you a refund. I said ok send the money back now please. She said I thought it was a payment in relation to Mr XXXX so I transfered it to my bank I will transfer it back right away, but the transaction takes 3-4 business days. I objected and she replied saying she was able to make a good will pyment now, the rest will follow in 3-4 days. The good will payment arrived as she said.
Now I am waiting for the money to clear in her account so she can return it. Meanwhile I have been doing some research and found you guys. I found a thread where you were organising yourselves for a 5 huttle and instructions on how to join in. It explained your email should be like blahblah419@whatever. The owner of the paypal account has such an email address. IM I BEING BAITED ALONG WITH THE SCAMMING SOB THAT SOLD ME THE EBAY ITEM? Please help, someone explain WTF is going on here
persephone
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello Dvorak, I do not think you are being baited for a few reasons:

1. we bait scammers: people that try to steal money from other people on the internet. You are not a scammer, so why would be bait you?

2. a funny email address is not something we have a copyright on. Quite frankly, I have had a weird email address years before I started baiting.

3. The woman sent you a good will payment. Baiters do not send money, not even a percentage of money owed.

The woman you referred to may very well be the victim of some kind of scam. Quite frankly, that doesn't really involve you. She agreed to reimburse you for the money. She made a good will payment. I would suggest you contact her and ask her for a timeline to get the rest back.

As for the item, maybe this person was playing a prank, or got a better offer, who knows? Since you are getting your money back I would see this for what it is: an inconvenience.

Closed lad accounts loads
pony pony Mortar x46 United States 3x Canada Malaysia 2x Netherlands 2x Nigeria 2x Ghana 3x Ivory Coast 9x United Kingdom 3x Spain Bahamas, The Germany Australia Algerian Flag Togo 2x Cellphone Pretty Rose Safari 4 days of travel - 7 days stuck in airport
Dvorak
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for that, however I refer to the mail addy having 419 in it and what is happening to her is the "third party receiver" scam.
Sorry just realised I did not mention that, her story to me was, she met him on a dating site, she sent the guy some money by wire to lagos cos he was ill. She wanted her money back so he said he would get clients to send money to her paypal account, then she could send him more money
MY FN MONEY!
Togawa
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds to me like a mule scam.
The woman is the middle man (so to speak), the scammer employs her as "payment officer'', put something for sale, Dvorak falls for it, pay to the woman, she picks up the money and sends to the scammer.
The comment blew up the operation, otherwise it could have worked. Or maybe it worked and she doesn't have the money anymore. Now she's in trouble and trying to buy time with the "bank transfer" excuse.

@Dvorak
Do you understand how this scam works?
Maybe you should ask her if this is what happened. She may be a victim as much as you are. I'm not saying that she shouldn't repay you anyway. Just that she did it in good faith.
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^
I have to agree. This sounds like a mule scam from the word "go". Love scam victims are often used to funnel money from other victims and electronics purchased with stolen credit cards to the scammers.

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
rhinocoress
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

your ebay scam story isnt quite what 419eater is about, although there are lots and lots of frauds on ebay, they are mostly the type someone uses from your ebay name to lure you into a private deal using western union, or accepting fake checks so you end up sending them the goods/money and you never see them again...the person you mentioned may or may not be a fraudster, it sounds like the paypal owner got caught up in it like you did...and they are still talking to you which is good. ***Paypal has a buyer protection program which means your gauranteed the money youve sent if you can show they havent given you what you bought. if you didnt know this check into it right away, and you can use it in the next few days if he/she doesnt reimburse you...you need to do it within a month or two though.
be careful but don't be too hard on the person your talking to, they might not be scamming you like you think. but if they are you have some of their real info, which is better than most victims that end up with none
Dvorak
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

She has told me she has been scammed. She said she sent scammer money, then she wanted it back. He said no problem, money will be sent to you from my clients (dvorak) to your paypal account, so you get money back and the extra you can send to me
I think its called "third party receiver" scam or mule I suppose would be the same.
But her addy has 419 in it, it cant Coincidence Confused
rhinocoress
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

oh wow, i just read the lover part...yes, ive heard about those...take whatever steps you can now to get the money back. contact paypal and tell them youve sent money to this person and they havent sent you anything. you'll go through a dispute and get the amount back. also i hope she isnt in partnership with that guy anymore, shes being used
Togawa
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't know how the Paypal protection program works but I'm pretty sure that they'll go for the money after paying Dvorak.
What they do (the cases I know) is "buy" your rights to claim the money.
She's going to pay for it one way or the other.
And I'm not telling Dvorak to let it go. He should get his money back. I'm just ranting about how the scammers hurt people.

@Dvorak
Tell her to post all the information here. Phone number, mail address, etc.
I doubt she'll see her money again but she can make his life a little less comfortable.
Also, she should check www.scamvictimsunited.com for advice. If she has enough information to identify the scammer and evidence of the scam, www.efccnigeria.org.
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dvorak wrote:

Actually, it very well might be. Scammers, as a rule, do not put "419" in email addresses that they use to communicate with victims. Doing that is good way for a victim who does a little research to wind up in at a site like Eater.

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
Togawa
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dvorak wrote:

I see what you mean but I can't imagine the reason. A scammer wouldn't use that. A baiter may or may not because most of the time the lads don't get it. But a baiter wouldn't (shouldn't) scam others and if he were trying to, why use a mail address with 419?
Can you post the mail address? without the domain? (in case you want to keep it private)
B. A. Ware
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dvorak,

She's a mule! Contact PayPal right away. They will attempt to subrogate (albeit unsuccessfully) but you may still have a chance. Just a guess here but the mule will take the brunt of any legal action. It's too bad, but it happens.

Always,
B. A. Ware
Dvorak
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Paypal are aware of this, they say wait and see if she does refund the cash first

I dont think she is the scammer she is being scammed by being used as a mule/third party receiver, OR she is a baiter doing this love scam thing with the scammer and she is trying to figure out if I am in on it, hence the addy with 419.
I dont want to give the addy out yet cos today is the day that the money should clear from her bank into paypal and she will be refunding me..........I hope Confused
If I get the money back and all goes well I will post the detials of this and get her to do the same and maybe you guy's can help us to either bring this SOB down or at least make his life a little harder Very Happy
Dvorak
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have pretty much got all my money back, bar some crazy fee's applied by paypal. How lucky was I????????????????????? Shocked
It has all been down to a woman who's hounesty and integrity is nothing short of outstanding.......................
I have told her about the sight so that she can make her mind up whether the details of this scam are handed to the wolves (you guy's) to tear appart like the SOB deserves.
I would like to thank everyone for the advice I got, and wish you all well on the fantastic work that you do in making these bast---- pay for the stress and misery they put on people.
I would love to join you guy's, but I dont think I have enough time in front of a PC to do it justice, however if I do you can be assured I will, so that I can join the fun too Laughing
Thanks Su---
Togawa
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dvorak

Spread the word. Nothing hurt a scammer more than no victims to prey.
A Jersey housewife
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Every day there are fraudulent listings on 3bay for DVD's, mostly for complete sets of tv series, the key is a cheap price and very expensive shipping. They normally catch it when it happens but in almost every case there are people who use buy 1t now and since the listing usually contains a different email for payment (they say to call for immediate shipp1ing) most get scammed.

I don't want to post the keywords here but it isn't difficult to spot for things like disney, friends or sopranos.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic