SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Queenslanders must be daft

View next topic
View previous topic

harrya
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry It's not me blame the SMH for this one. Being in one of the other states I got a laugh over this but it wasn't exactly smart reporting.

http://tinyurl.com/yp3t99

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, I saw that reported last year, the same officer was interviewd by a reporter:

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2006/s1560220.htm

Quote:
Nigerian email scam still claiming victims

Reporter: Lisa Millar
MARK COLVIN: The Nigerian email scam, which asks for financial help to get money out of the country, has been around for a decade or more but it's still claiming victims despite all the warnings.

Among them a number of gullible Queenslanders tempted by the lure of millions of dodgy dollars.

In just two months Queensland police identified 25 people who'd handed over bank account details and money to people who wrote them dubious letters.

Some of those victims continued to send money even after being told by police that they were being defrauded, refusing to believe their dreams of untold wealth were based on a lie.

Lisa Millar reports.

LISA MILLAR: Queensland police knew the problem was big but wanted to find out just how many were falling victim to the email scam which invites people to assist someone to recover hundreds of millions of dollars for which they'll receive a 10 per cent reward.

Inspector Brian Hay:

BRIAN HAY: So we picked a two month period of everyone who'd sent money to Nigeria. We'd spoken to a number of those people, about, approximately about 26, which represents probably 60 per cent of those who sent money over to Nigeria in a two month period, so we only took a two month sample and we've spoken to about 60 per cent of the people. And those 60 per cent, 25 of them have transmitted in excess of $7 million over, sometimes over a period of the last five years, but it's been continuously in the process.

LISA MILLAR: Did that shock you?

BRIAN HAY: It staggered me. I couldn't believe it. We've, there's only one transaction, one person conducting a transaction a week, confident it is not a scam. And unfortunately many of the people we've spoken to are very confident that they're in a legitimate business dealing, despite having never met the people they're involved with, despite having never received anything for their investments.

It's always the dangled carrot out in front and then they're continually encouraged to give more money and more money and more money.

LISA MILLAR: So even after you tell them it's a fraud, they don't believe you?

BRIAN HAY: That's right.

LISA MILLAR: The Queenslanders came from a range of backgrounds. Some work in the law and education.

BRIAN HAY: They're not stupid people, they're just people that have been blinded and think they're making a smart move and they're going to return a healthy investment, but, good luck to them, but I don't think too many of them will.

LISA MILLAR: The scam has been around for about 15 years and it generates an estimated billion emails annually.

Despite the warnings people still get hooked.

BILL CAELLI: I think basically people are gullible, people see a fast buck and that's what it boils down to.

LISA MILLAR: Professor Bill Caelli from the Queensland University of Technology's Information Security Institute says he's not surprised by the Queensland figures.

BILL CAELLI: Oh, internationally the figures we're getting from the FBI are indicating that these numbers are definitely in the hundreds of millions of dollars across the board. So we do have a major problem that at the present moment, essentially, e-related crime is definitely, definitely on the increase and it presents a major problem for us in the future.

LISA MILLAR: The scheme has evolved. Originally people received letters in the mail. Now it's in cyberspace and proving to be one of the most successful scams in existence.

BILL CAELLI: Well it appears to be so, although there have been others which are equally notorious, indeed what it does seem to prove is just how much confidence and trust people place in the internet and of course that trust is really, definitely not to be had.

MARK COLVIN: Professor Bill Caelli from the Queensland University of Technology with Lisa Millar.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
Tommo Shanter
Swiss Toni

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Queenslanders are pouring tens of millions of dollars into overseas scams because of their misguided belief in "a fair go" rather than stupidity

I tell you what. If you live in Queensland (or anywhere else in Australia for that matter) send me all your life savings and I will have a "fair go" at spending it in the shortest possible time whilst enjoying the maximum pleasure enjoyment.

And before any Aussies start having a pop, my sister lives in Perth and she is quite scary, OK?

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic