SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Quiet street in the grip of a global web scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Chibuike
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quiet street in the grip of a global web scam

Apr 27 2007

Joshua Layton
icSouthLondon.co.uk

A QUIET Croydon street is being used by overseas fraudsters behind an elaborate global internet scam.

No 28 Tanfield Road is cited as the HQ of the "British Lottery International" in a so-called "419" web con.

Thousands of e-mails are being sent out daily aimed at depriving "winners" of cash - or stealing their identities.

The result has been floods of letters - and even people from as far away as Pakistan and Israel - turning up in the road.

But the devastated visitors find that all that lies at No 28 is an office complex inhabited by legitimate companies.

Ian Peadon, general manager for Dexter House Ltd, which owns the buildings, said: "We've had two or three people walk in every week.

"There was someone from Israel and an older guy from Pakistan wearing all his war medals. I felt very sorry for him coming over here to pick up an award that doesn't exist.

"It's not good for us having all these people walking into the building and I have spoken to the police.

"But they said because they have only come here looking for their prize, and have not lost any money, no fraud has been committed."

Tanfield Road residents have found that their addresses have been caught up in the deception - and other types of fraud.

Tony Horton, 43, said: "About once a year myself or my neighbours get a package addressed to the British Lottery International, but with our house numbers on.

"The last time was in March and it was an A4-size parcel delivered to my neighbours.I know next door so I refused it for them.

"The year before,also in March, an identical package addressed to the same company came to my house via Royal Mail special delivery. It was a jiffy bag and felt as if it was stuffed with papers.I didn't accept it."

Mr Horton, who has lived in the street for 20 years, has been flooded with mail - including from the DVLA and Croydon Council's housing benefits office - for people he has never heard of.

One letter asking for money,which listed his name and middle initial above his address, purported to be from the Nigerian Geological Society, but cursory checks proved it a scam.

Bailiffs and the police have also been to his house,which is split into flats,to search for people.Mr Horton tried cross-referencing some of the names with electoral records at a library,but none matched.

Other residents have also witnessed the strange events.

A man aged 35, who did not want to be named, said: "A Nigerian man and woman came here last summer looking for the British Lottery International HQ.By the sound of it they had lost some money."

E-mail 419 scams are named after the section of Nigeria's penal law which punishes such frauds.

Alan Phillips, of Croydon Trading Standards,said he was aware of the Tanfield Road e-mails.But he added: "There don't appear to be any Croydon residents who have been caught out in this particular scam."

pony pony pony <--I got ponies! Wahhooo!
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

28 Tanfield Road, Croydon, is a popular address, if you do a forum search for Tanfield you will see a couple of pages of results about it, same if you Google 28 Tanfield Road, you will get many results for scams.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
Chibuike
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Are there any other popular street addresses out there that we should be aware of?

pony pony pony <--I got ponies! Wahhooo!
Breddan Butter
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

406 Bury New Rd,
Whitefield,
Manchester
England
M45 7SX

Used in thousands of lottery scams.
It's a private address. The bemused occupants (who have nothing to do with scams or scammers) receive piles of mail and get numerous visitors in connection with 'lottery claims'.
The BBC became interested in why this address should be so popular with lottery scammers that they commissioned an investigative programme about it.

My IP address is 217.21.39.255. (86.57.134.49 on Sundays) Please don't come knocking on my door.
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There is also one in Stamford, Lincolnshire, whose exact address escapes me at this present moment.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
Breddan Butter
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

22 Garden Close,
Stamford,
Lincs,
PE9 2YP,
London Confused
United Kingdom,

My IP address is 217.21.39.255. (86.57.134.49 on Sundays) Please don't come knocking on my door.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic