SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Is there a Scam Here?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Marvinator
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I know this may have little to do with scam BAITING, but bear with me. I"m relying on the accumulated experience of the assembled to help me understand what MAY (or may NOT) be going on here.

My mother in law is selling her property. My father in law recently passed and she has spent an innumerable amount of time (and money) cleaning out the trash and getting together the many items left over in preparation of the sale of the place and subsequent auction. She plans to sell it all and move in with my sister in law, so she will need nothing of the stuff left over and there is a lot of it. After the sale of the property, there will be an auction. Ok, so we're talking the tools and accumulations of someone who owned 40 acres of land, 3 houses, 2 garages and a huge barn. there are tools, old equipment, and even a truck and two BIG lawn mowers (one of them a John Deere - which she has offered to me, but I digress....)

So, she's listed the property for sale. She's had many people come by. This last week a couple comes by and says that they will pay her the asking price for the property but ONLY so long as she also sells them all the stuff she has accumulated for the auction as part of the deal. They ask her to come up with a price for that stuff.

Bells are going off in my head, but I cannot actually see what may be the scam here. Bad check? Funny money? Any one know of any scam related to this type of deal?
jefflebowski
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Doesnt sound too dodgy to me, I've heard of similar things happening, think about it, if they are buying a place that will need all that stuff (or most of it) it would be handy for them to get it all at once, it might also be handier to your mother in law to sell it all in one go!

I dont think there is a scam there as long as she isnt selling it all too cheap.

HTH
mrsbean
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Unless it's a private sale without involvement of any lawyer/real estate agent and she's in the habit of signing bad contracts without reading them... no, there's no apparent scam there. There are a lot of people who would just as soon not spend the time and money to accumulate the 40 acres worth of stuff and would rather not take a chance on stuff being bid up at the auction. Such offers are actually quite common when farms near me go on sale.

Most real estate sale contracts cover the eventuality that the buyer can't actually fork over the money. Make sure hers does, too, and you won't have much to worry about. So long as there's a clause that none of the stuff leaves the property and nothing changes hands legally until the sale is final (meaning the money has been confirmed), you should be covered.

Straightbait

Nifty anti-scam sites of interest
Artists Against 419 | Fraudwatchers |Scamomatic | Scampatroll Scam Victims United | Fake Checks Dot Org
Mr Fishe
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don�t think it�s that unusual for people to offer to buy the contents along with the property. It saves them furnishing the place from scratch and would save your mother in law the hassle of the auction.

Magic eye fun: Western Union MoneyGram
Pre-transfer red tape: Department of Homeland Security HM Revenue & Customs
Mandatory customer survey: Western Union

"I have decided to leave the church and join a travelling circus..." - the original and best
Marvinator
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mr Fishe wrote:
I don�t think it�s that unusual for people to offer to buy the contents along with the property. It saves them furnishing the place from scratch and would save your mother in law the hassle of the auction.

We're not talking about just furnishings in the house, we're also talking about nearly 100 years worth of JUNK collected by both my father in law and HIS parents. This is the part which makes me wonder.

I really do appreciate all your input! I knew I'd get a good response on this.

THANKs!!
Prolix
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Marvin, the one thing I have to add is that the prospective buyers may be counting on your mother-in-law's inability to accurately value the extra items. Some "junk" may have value to collectors, etc. so it might be worthwhile to investigate the value of anything that might have a value.

"You are criminal, don't write to this box again." - [mask:1]Joseph Foley[/mask:1]

"I TAUGHT YOU WOULD HAVE ASKED AND ALLOWED ME TO GIVE YOU THE ANSWERS
BUT YOU STARTED BEHAVING AS IF YOU ARE THE ONE THAT IS DRUNK." - [mask:1]Mohammed Zongo[/mask:1]

"GET LOST. BASTERRD POEPLE." - [mask:1]Paul Dakotan[/mask:1]

"I really thank you for your jokes. But please i want it to put to stop." - [mask:1]Mohammed Zongo[/mask:1]
rhinocoress
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i think its a safe deal as long as its handled through her realator/lawyer. if you say its all junk then what would a scammer care...the property is your main concern
Skutt50
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A good advise is to contact someone who can properly value the stuff.

And as a last resort ask the buyers why they want all the items. Tere may be a very good explination. Just do not call it junk or the price may go down!
B. A. Ware
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Marvin,

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in the U.S. the money will be held in escrow until the "check" clears and only then will the title be transferred making it almost impossible to scam your mom. I guess the only question is what is the "junk" worth. Can you blame the buyer for trying to get a good deal. Thats not scamming thats "shopping"
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't see an obvious scam. The only issue would be those discussed above. Get a good real estate lawyer to draw up the contract. As for the stuff/junk there are property appraisers out there that will tell you what it is worth. Might be worth the peace of mind to have that done to make sure there is not something in there worth $$$ that you are essentially giving away.

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Pith Helmet (Lagos to Abuja)
Netherlands China Canada x2 United Kingdom Spain Ivory Coast Germany

Hello Kitty! <---in lieu of a brownie. TS
Mortar x8
Traumagirl
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How about you get the junk appraised to work on a good asking price, or at least try to find out how much other items like that are going for? You might be suprised how much it is worth............
mrsbean
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One person's junk can turn out to be someone else's very expensive antique. There are people who go from auction to auction, just buying dollar boxes of random "junk", then clean up what's valuable and resell for a nice profit.

Straightbait

Nifty anti-scam sites of interest
Artists Against 419 | Fraudwatchers |Scamomatic | Scampatroll Scam Victims United | Fake Checks Dot Org
Marvinator
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

mrsbean wrote:
One person's junk can turn out to be someone else's very expensive antique. There are people who go from auction to auction, just buying dollar boxes of random "junk", then clean up what's valuable and resell for a nice profit.

yeah....that's my wife.....

I think I will suggest she get an appraisal, but she's out in RURAL (and I do mean RURAL) arkansas. (It's so rural, it doesn't even get the capital A...it's so rural they have NO Cell service, NO internet and only ONE TV station and that's ABC.....)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic