SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

New Zealand victim is sure the payment will come

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Nelsonsbattle
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Last night there was an article on a current affairs program on NZ TV (Closeup) which featured an interview with a woman who had paid $NZ200,000 ($US140,000, UKP70,000) to 419 scammers.

She had sent about $NZ50,000 to the scammers before realising it was a scam, then has sent the rest of the money to "Bank of Nigeria fraud unit officials" who are trying to retrieve her money - there is just one more payment of $50,000 needed to finalise a court case. She is taking a larger mortgage out on her house to raise this money for the scammers.

The interviewer described 419 scams, told her this was a scam, but the lady believes that a Nigerian lawyer she met here in NZ is actually working with the bank officials on her behalf. She is sure that she will have her money retrieved, plus get her the $US2,000,000 share of the deceased's estate she was originally promised.

I've rung the TV program with details of 419 fraud, e-mailed them with details and scampatrol's website, and offered to investigate the bank officials to see if they have been involved in any other frauds.

However, it's probably too late now. And I don't know if the program will be interested in following up the fraud - they've had their 10 minutes of spotlight on this case so they'll probably move on to something else tomorrow night.

It just made me feel sick, like watching a train wreck happening and you couldn't stop it.

Sorry if there's been a post on this already, I searched but didn't find anything.

"tell you die, fuck you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ooooooo" Samull the scammer on being burned
Safari (Samull's trip from Cotonou, Benin, to Lagos, Nigeria, to meet the lovely Steffy)
Mortar x3
Jimmy Jazz
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Saw that too.

I could not believe that even after being told a zillion times, this lady still could not see that she was being scammed.

All the justification I needed to be in here really.

I like you because I can sense some kind of strictness in you which reassures me that you are a straigth forward person - M@mudu U5m@n

"I must tell you that you must be one of these internet bugs parasites" - An ongoing lad.

ASSHOL, EAT YOUR DEFICATE., USELESS SOON OF BITCH, POLICT TOILET AND A MISSRABLE ONDIGAR BORN TO BE FAUSTRATED FOR LIFE THAT IS WHAT YOUR ARE.OK - Barrister D0ugla5 Clarl3

pony Closed lad accounts x 4
shishtavi
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm sorry I missed it, it's a pity but people find it hard to take when this thing they have believed in for so long is actually fake.

"YOU WONT RUN FAR FROM CR0WLEY AND HIS PLUMBERS, I DONT LIKE MUGUS TURNING ME AROUND." - Denny Both

"it should have occured to me being stranded the second time here in Ghana and your miserable organization cant even offer a $100 for my rescue,idiots!" - M0ses Uz3m3

"I need to get my donation now or else i will be forced to think ortherwise" - m0ses uz3m3
Safari x2 Lagos-Accra
Safari lagos-tamale: courtesy of SP
Shiver Metimbers
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't suppose there is an online stream of this is there?

----------------------------------
Shiver's scammer trophies.
----------------------------------
Jimmy Jazz
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

shiver metimbers wrote:
Don't suppose there is an online stream of this is there?

Stand by Shiver - I will see what I can find............

Try this http://tvnz.co.nz/view/tvone_minisite_story_skin/1012482%3fformat=html

I like you because I can sense some kind of strictness in you which reassures me that you are a straigth forward person - M@mudu U5m@n

"I must tell you that you must be one of these internet bugs parasites" - An ongoing lad.

ASSHOL, EAT YOUR DEFICATE., USELESS SOON OF BITCH, POLICT TOILET AND A MISSRABLE ONDIGAR BORN TO BE FAUSTRATED FOR LIFE THAT IS WHAT YOUR ARE.OK - Barrister D0ugla5 Clarl3

schmoebob
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@jimmy - Thanks for that. Brings it all back into perspective doesn't it?
Jimmy Jazz
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

schmoebob wrote:
@jimmy - Thanks for that. Brings it all back into perspective doesn't it?

Yeah, unfortunately it does.

She is obviously hugely gullible (and therefore vulnerable), and just goes to show what constitutes a target in these guys' minds....... Mad

Spudz
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow, that has left me speechless, the poor woman. i reallly didn`t think it could ever go that far.
Recently an 82 year old woman in my town had a Lotto scam snail mailed to her, it looked exactly like an email that was doing the rounds, the letter was in the usual busted up English so she couldn`t read it. i had just given Shivs book to a friend of mine who works with her son, so thankfully he was able to make sure she didn`t fall for it, i told him to bring the mail to the local paper so that they could print a warning, but nothing has been printed so far. i`ll be mailing that news clip to the Editor today,

will that clip be there til next Monday?

Javed Main:I received your e-mail message but cannot read very well due to the injection I took last night/Please for Gods sake i would'nt like you to address my bank as feck/You are a priest and you are bold enough to tell me that you took 3 bottles of the finest whiskey/Please i am not ready to take more of your insult.

NIGERIA HE GOAT
IF YOU EVER SEND THIS TYPE OF THINGS TO MY EMAIL;; I WILL SHOW MY SELF TO YOU BASTAD NIGERIA HE GOAT....F*CK OFF AND DIE OF UNGER

YOU ARE SUCH A NONENTITY, I NEVER KNEW PEOPLE LIKE YOU STILL IN EXISTENCE. WHAT AN INGLORIOUS BASTARD ARE YOU?

Closed lad accounts x 10-2x33/8 you do the hokey cokey and you turn around and that's what it's all about
mrsbean
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The link to the video is supposed to be permanent, I've been told, so it should be there forever.

Straightbait

Nifty anti-scam sites of interest
Artists Against 419 | Fraudwatchers |Scamomatic | Scampatroll Scam Victims United | Fake Checks Dot Org
Ziggyzap
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It makes you wont to cry, That woman could be our grandma.

MAY YOU DIE A DEAD BEFORE YOUR DEATH.

iF YOU KNOW THAT YOU HAVE A TESTICLE BETWEEN YOUR TWO LEG GO AND GIVE YOUR
MOTHER BELLE EWU LIKE YOU
www.owenswinebar.co.nr
Splooshy
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've seen that situation more than once...makes me sick every time.
Bucky
Master Baiter

Location: Knocking back a cold brew with my buddy, Charles Soludo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

An unbelievably sad situation.

I have never experience such humiliation that you have given me. I am very bitter with you. - Dr Luke Kw@me

Well, the moneygram payment officer as usual rained insult and abuses on me. - Dr. G0dwin 0boh

I think you are a madman who used people for a game. - Pilot J@ckson Jumbo
Kickstart
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just cant believe it.... Hook, line & sinker as they say. The worse thing is she admits she knew she was dealing with scammers from the start.

I'm guesssing she was lonely, and as we all know, they make great penpals.

Oh well, knowing Kiwi spirit, she will get many donations to keep her going.

Tutorial - Backup your Gmail
Ginger Head
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Kickstart wrote:
Oh well, knowing Kiwi spirit, she will get many donations to keep her going.

And if she does she will use them for the final final final payment.
crossfire
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I just watched the video on this scam, I cant believe what she has
lost to these fraudsters, this is bad, I would be nice to get hold of
those mail's to do some baiting on them, this brings back a memory.
Evil or Very Mad

for your own good now you want to fuck up with me <[email protected]>
Osama Bin Laddin's hard Rocket [mask:1]<drmkhoza@unionplus>[/mask:1]
please send my details on how to reach you thanks <[email protected]>
PLEASE RESPECT YOUR SELF BY SENDING ME FAKE INFORMATION OK <tony_emeka>
Phish 1x United States
Fake Banks Killed: United Kingdom x8 |Nigeria x1 |Spain x1
Nick L Cadmium
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sadly I think Ginger is right. Sometimes you just can't save someone from themselves.

It will be better if you can give me your mother to have some nice sex with her - Mosola Mickelson
TO HELL WITH YOU MR. MACK TRUQUE WHAT A HOPELESS ANIMAL YOU ARE - Susan Yehuda
MONEY TALKS BULL-SHIRT WORKS - Mrs Angel Macathy (orphanage scambag)
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's a shame that these 'current affairs' programmes don't spend more time actually explaining the scams and how they work to viewers instead of focussing on the more 'sensational' aspects of these sad stories. I know it makes for 'better' TV (which is all they are interested in) but I really wish they would use these stories to educate people better on how to spot scams and not get conned in the first place.

An Australian TV crew (Channel 9) recently actually met with a couple of scammers who are bleeding an old pensioner dry with an inheritance scam. Not only did they go to the meeting without any kind of LEO backup, they didn't explain to the victim that he is being scammed (he still firmly believes there's a few million coming his way), and they gave only the most cursory explanation/information to viewers about how the scam works. The bulk of the item was film of two Nigerians running through the suburbs being chased by a reporter on the back of a ute.

Only yesterday our local ABC radio talkback show discussed lottery scams and interviewed various victims but didn't actually explain how the scams work. Discussion opened with "We all know about the various kinds of internet scams, etc etc". Well clearly a lot of people DON'T know about them or we wouldn't continue to hear stories of victims being taken for thousands of dollars.

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
Nelsonsbattle
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, I've e-mailed the program offering to be interviewed and tell how these scams work, but they've not come back. I guess they're only interested in the immediate story and not an ongoing effort to educate people about internet fraud.

"tell you die, fuck you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ooooooo" Samull the scammer on being burned
Safari (Samull's trip from Cotonou, Benin, to Lagos, Nigeria, to meet the lovely Steffy)
Mortar x3
rumbero
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That was a real sad story. I think that the media should be educated about scams and scammers.
It was apparent that none of the people in the broacast had any idea of how the scams work.
It would be nice to get a hold of the mugus addies and do mass baiting.
We still have a lot of work to do with these scammers.

Pith Helmet Lagos to Ghana Opus Dei Templar
Pith Helmet Nukuru to Mombasa 1,500 kms van donation
Pith Helmet Co bait with SlowFreddy Sao Tome island to Gabon Pith Helmet Lagos to Abuja Co, donation
YOUR WIFE WILL GIVE BIRTH TO A MONKEY, YOU ARE GOING TO SUFFER FROM EPILEPTIC,
LET YOUR MOTHER FUCK YOUR BEST FRIEND. LET YOUR FATHER FUCK A MAD STREET WOMAN, USELESS INTERNET FRAUDSTER. (barrister Dan )
I bet u , soon , u will be laying in a close casket ,
will make u understand that i'm a spiritual man (Makinwa the retarded mugu)
in juses name u will dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
( Makinwa)
Nick L Cadmium
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I got the impression that the interviewers knew how the scams worked perfectly well. They didn't actually tell the viewers, though.

If they had the old lady would have lost a huge amount of sympathy, as the scam was so transparent. I got the feeling that when she admitted to knowing it was a scam she was not being entirely truthful. I think she said that so that she didn't look naive or ignorant. Sadly by going along with it after perhaps knowing she made herself look just plain masochistic.

I have enormous sympathy for someone who is just trying to help someone overcome a hardship, and gets ripped off (eg. the charity scams). If they suspect it is a scam, and still go along with it? I have a bit of a problem feeling too sorry for someone like that. What, if anything must have been going through her mind?

I realise I must seem very hard hearted, and often I am. She is a big girl and able to make decisions for herself (her sons don't seem to have been much help!) and if she walks into a lion's den with her eyes open then she can expect to get bitten.

It will be better if you can give me your mother to have some nice sex with her - Mosola Mickelson
TO HELL WITH YOU MR. MACK TRUQUE WHAT A HOPELESS ANIMAL YOU ARE - Susan Yehuda
MONEY TALKS BULL-SHIRT WORKS - Mrs Angel Macathy (orphanage scambag)
mrsbean
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think she was just trying to salvage some pride as well. I mean, anyone who says, essentially, "Yes, I knew this person was a criminal, trying to scam me, right from the beginning, but I still decided to take it for a test drive and see how they would act, and I was willing to pay an outrageous amount to satisfy my curiosity on this point," would clearly be clinically insane if they actually meant it, unless they have more money than they know what to do with. Which, evidently, she doesn't. Or she wouldn't be mortgaging her house. There are far, far better ways to waste money, and they're far more fun.

It's the equivalent of saying, "Yes, your honor, I knew he was a cannibalistic serial killer, but I still accepted the invitation to dinner for two at his apartment, just to see how he would try to kill me."

I was rather peeved that they didn't put her in the same room with that fraud detective, too, but frankly, I don't have any great hopes that it would make a difference. At this point, I don't think a bloody choir of angels singing "The lawyer is a fake" in three part harmony would faze her.

Straightbait

Nifty anti-scam sites of interest
Artists Against 419 | Fraudwatchers |Scamomatic | Scampatroll Scam Victims United | Fake Checks Dot Org
sagat
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

well some people have to learn the hard/harsh way. greed never pays
Nelsonsbattle
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

And another scam on the TV here in NZ.

Lad advertised a car on the net, agreed a price of $NZ8000 with a buyer in the UK, who sent him a cheque for 8000 Euro and asked that he send the extra by WU to a Nigerian shipping company to arrange shipment of the car to the UK. Of course the cheque bounced - eventually - and he's now out of pocket for over $NZ7000.

I couldn't believe that anyone would think that someone from the UK would want to buy a 2nd hand car from New Zealand and ship it half way around the world Rolling Eyes

A video can probably be found on tvnz.co.nz / subject "Fait Go"

The original TV program replied to my offer to talk about internet scams saying, "They thought they had covered how scams work in a number of passed programs, but they are thinking of doing a broader expose on internet fraud and will contact me if it goes ahead."

Mortar x3
Kickstart
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They don't have it up yet... I'll check again in a couple of days.

Tutorial - Backup your Gmail
boingboing
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Poor sad lady, seems to be suffering from the hostage situation as she said. Must admit the program doesn't really address the issues. Who has any links for national TV scambaiting documentaries, rather than poor saps who have been caught out?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic