SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

First post using Windows Vista

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Dirteh Sanchez
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Problem with using MAC auth on the homehub is it can seriously screw with the hub phone if you have one.

Well done on getting in with Vista SP.
No matter what these 'linux rools ok' clowns say, its still cool as hell.

Killed Scammer Banks >200 (gave up counting longgggggg ago.) Jolly Roger x5 x2 Mortar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
There is a 12 digit MAC number on the back of the hub, would that be it? Or does it have to be the MAC address inside the laptop?
The MAC address of the computer wifi card not the access point.

I don't know about vista but in XP you open the control panel and click the network connection icon. Right click the wifi card label and click on 'properties' then 'configure'. I think the MAC address will be shown in that window. Copy it and the enter the router admin screen. Find the wifi access setup (I can't say how without knowing the manufacture) and there should be an access set up tab. Set the access to allow list only and enter the MAC address. Save and exit. Vista should be tha same because M$ always tries to make everything user friendly and consistent from version to version.

I just had to set up my wife's company computer to access my home wifi router and spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why it kept telling me to turn on the radio. I turned on 'Jack Radio' but it didn't seem to do any good. I finally found the switch in the side on the computer. Rolling Eyes
They did the same thing to her; just hand her the computer with no manual and no help.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My mama always told me: "use a cable, Kleindoofy." Wink
Radden
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

*resists urge to mock DrWho*
IP Freely
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@SP: As I may have mentioned before, I work a compy shoppie.

You are not alone in the "turn the wi-fi on" button department. It is a regular occurence. Someone complains for a few minutes about how their laptop doesn't work, and this and that and blah blah blah, and then you just lean over, press the "turn on" button, and voila, it works!

Almost as good as the time a guy came in to return a 20-24 pin power supply, because it wouldn't connect to his 20-pin motherboard. I took it out of the box, looked at the cord, and he asked me "what, are you just going to pull 4 pins off?"
...to which i responded "um, well, yeah" and then I yanked the (easily removable) extra pins off, turning it into a 20-pin connector. Then he went home. Laughing

please i want you to stop writting me,i beg you in the name of the lord Jesus christ.
Dionysius
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Scam Patroller wrote:
@ Dionysius, I don't think anyone can jump on my wireless connection, because you have to input the WEP security key when making the connection, and if I am getting it right, nobody else can connect to my network unless they have that WEP key number that is on the back of my hub?

The problem is that nothing is as secure as you are lead to believe. The only securish thing would be a cable connecting your lap top to the broadband box. There's a BBC Three documentary called 'The Real Hustle', which did a feature on hacking wireless connections. They picked a street and found a number of wireless signals. Ignoring the ones who didn't bother to protect the signal they chose the one who had set up security. They hacked it without any problems.

Cables might be annoying, but they are secure.

RIP - Lad vampire and muguito were the gifts that kept on leeching. Greatly missed.

Information about Scams and their effects with great trophies - http://www.scam-info-links.info/ from Scam Patroller - http://www.romancescambaiter.com/ from wayne
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^ Yeah, I saw that real hustle program, it was something like, there were 100 houses in the street they went to, and about 25-30 had unsecure wireless connections.

@ DrWHo, I will try what you suggested if it's the same on Vista.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
Standard Procedure
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So how would I go about in securing my wireless internet connection?

The following statement is true
The above statement is false
IP Freely
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^
Turn it off.

Very Happy

please i want you to stop writting me,i beg you in the name of the lord Jesus christ.
The False Italian
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Use something like WPA-PSK instead of WEP.
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Only if your access point and card support WPA.

If not:
Make sure the router name is *not* the default and use a non-guessable name. In fact don't use any of the default settings.
Turn off the broadcasting of the router name
Set the allowed access for either specific MACs only or specific IP addresses only (this requires you to use manual IP addressing. much safer anyway)
Use WEP at least if you can't use WPA. Change the key once in a while. Check the logs if your router has them for odd access.
Look around and see if any cars are parking outside your house.
Look for war-chalking marks on the street outside your house.

Only use gmail so your IP address is hidden. Smile

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic