SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Arresting A Scammer????

View next topic
View previous topic

StumpDaddy
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
I have been logging a bunch of emails from a scammer and have contact information on them as well as copies of fake money orders, etc.

My question is before I let them know I am on to them, would it be a waste of time reporting this to authorities and if not, where should I begin?

Here's what I have:
Name, Address, Phone
Fake Money Orders (And FEDEX Tracking #)
Emails From Her (2 different addresses of mine too)
Yahoo Chats
Western Union Transfer Details (that they suggested)

I just want to know if I should bother trying to catch them before I end contact with them. This is a scammer in Nigeria by the name Belinda Flakes.

Thanks!

Stump Daddy Twisted Evil
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi and welcome here.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but an arrest on the information you have is highly unlikely.

Name, Address, Phone- will be fake, fake, and a mobile.

Fake Money Orders (And FEDEX Tracking #) - the money orders can go on your wall; the FEDEX # will most likely lead to a mule who doesn't know anything about anything and is probably a victim him or herself.

Emails From Her (2 different addresses of mine too)- If you got a LEO interested and if the lad was in the UK, US, or Europe, maybe you could do something with this, provided you could show that you didn't entrap the lad.

Yahoo Chats- see above.

Western Union Transfer Details (that they suggested)- WU can be picked up anywhere in the world so the location is really a misnomer; your lad need only present the MCTN# in most cases to collect the money. Additionally, lads will use compromised WU locations where the agent is either in on the scam or will take a bribe.

Arrests are possible and we have several members who have accomplished it, but usually they don't come about from a standard bait like this one.

Again, welcome here and I'm sure somebody will be along to suggest reading stickies and baiting safe.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The short answer is "don't bother trying to report the scammer to the police".
The long answer is:
StumpDaddy wrote:
My question is before I let them know I am on to them, would it be a waste of time reporting this to authorities and if not, where should I begin?

Its better if you don't let the scammer know that you have been baiting him. That said, the old "the nice lady at the WU office told me all about internet scams" can be lots of fun, esp if you have delayed long enough that the lad is really salivating before you deliver the belly drop.
Quote:
Here's what I have:
Name, Address, Phone
Fake Money Orders (And FEDEX Tracking #)
Emails From Her (2 different addresses of mine too)
Yahoo Chats
Western Union Transfer Details (that they suggested)

The name and address are fake, and the phone is a throw away mobile. The money orders, being fake, contain no real information that can track the scammer, and the Fedex account was most likely hijacked, paid for with phished CC details, or belongs to a mule. The email addy will be a freemail set up with all fake details, just like the ones we use for baiting. Yahoo chats are pretty much untraceable, as the account will lead to a fake persona and the IP will most likely lead to a public internet cafe. The Western Union details are fake. All the scammer needs to pick up the money is the MTCN and secret question/ answer (and perhaps not even that much if they bribe a crooked WU clerk).
Quote:
I just want to know if I should bother trying to catch them before I end contact with them. This is a scammer in Nigeria by the name Belinda Flakes.

Arrests are possible, but are VERY difficult and usually require very complex baits that go on for months. As for ending the bait, the only real reason to do so is if you are beyond bored with your pet, too busy to properly "care" for him, or he twigs on you.

Hope this answers your question. Welcome to the Eater, BTW Very Happy

[Edit]- Damn, thought the bunny would be in bed by now! Twisted Evil Laughing

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
StumpDaddy
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for everyone's welcome and thoughts. I am beyond bored with my "pet" so I just wanted to be sure there was nothing I could do before saying GET LOST, lol!

I'm sure I'll get more scammers in the future, this is my second time someone has "tried" to scam me...unsuccessfully. Twisted Evil

SD

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic